"What the fudge is a downcountry?"

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
New topic to rant about...

Stupid moniker made up by some MTB editor about 2 years ago. I think it's a bike with XC travel but enduro geometry. Who's it for? Why?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's the NOW!!

It is not an XC travel bike with Enduro Geo. It is an XC bike with a dropper post and tires with tread. AkA, what we've all been riding for years.

See photo.

IMG_20191224_123526_379.jpg

something I invented in 2011 when I raced Enduro's on my scalpel. :)

I think I have you beat, I raced my Jekyll in xc back in 2001-2002, in the slack setting, and almost won the whole thing when it was called Sport Class. Or do I have it backwards? Not to offend anyone here (probably will though) but downcountry? How high were you when you came up with that? And copyright that shit now, it'll be marketing gold to someone! Went to the LBS and there wasn't a single bike labeled as downcountry.

The same as creating the gravel bike category or the adventure category. Somehow the pure roadies never new about anything related to dirt until gravel bikes were invented. Nothing like riding 48's.

The pure roadies have to have some clue, no? Isn't that how MTB started in the first place? Weren't the guys in Marin County like Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher (who is now an 1800's train conductor) bored roadies who got high one night came up with this great idea?

i think the MTB industry uses the term downcountry as kind of a joke, i don't think they are really too serious. I like how Nate Hills makes light of it when he built up his SB100 on youtube. i think he renamed the the genre "up-duro"

The pure roadies have to have some clue, no? Isn't that how MTB started in the first place? Weren't the guys in Marin County like Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher (who is now an 1800's train conductor) bored roadies who got high one night came up with this great idea?

Roadies think there's a difference between Time Trial and Triathlon Bikes.

Roadies think there's a difference between Time Trial and Triathlon Bikes.

i thought time trialists and triathetes think there is a difference, nobody else cares?
or is it that .5deg seat tube angle that gets adjusted out when they move the saddle to the same place as their road bike......

i thought time trialists and triathetes think there is a difference, nobody else cares?
or is it that .5deg seat tube angle that gets adjusted out when they move the saddle to the same place as their road bike......

You're about to get a 500 page explanation from @CrankAddictRich what the differences are. So screwed right now. It's over for you. And you thought putting 2.4 tires on an XC bike and calling it Downcountry was bad? You wait.

ee25687bdad83ffb2d74923e46d4ad7e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom