"What the fudge is a downcountry?"

The Kalmyk

You're about to get a 500 page explanation from @CrankAddictRich what the differences are. So screwed right now. It's over for you. And you thought putting 2.4 tires on an XC bike and calling it Downcountry was bad? You wait.

ee25687bdad83ffb2d74923e46d4ad7e.jpg
Can’t wait!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You're about to get a 500 page explanation from @CrankAddictRich what the differences are. So screwed right now. It's over for you. And you thought putting 2.4 tires on an XC bike and calling it Downcountry was bad? You wait.

do they have a water "bottle" in the top tube?

Captain Brainstorm

Except I don't think the industry is joking (I had to go look up Nate Hills, I don't know who he is). After 20 years FS bikes are now pretty reliable, you can technically ride one for over 5-6+ seasons without breaking it, or it turning into a floppy wet noodle (ProFlex anyone?). They are a victim of their own success. So how do you drive repeat sales of a reliable product? Easy, you follow the Apple model, where you try and obsolete your own product within a year or 2, hence different but useless axle and shock standards every other year, swapping popularity of wheel sizes every other year, new geometry trends, and new categories. Oh, and charging over $6k for fucking bike that doesn't come with XT or top-tier suspension.

Relevant example: A few years ago having a light and efficient bike with 160mm of travel was the Holy Grail finally achieved, what many of us were wishing for since 2000. What was a downhill bike in 2008, but you could pedal all day while still ripping and abusing it. How do you improve that, really? Oh, I know, lets convince people that they still need that exact same bike, but with 140mm of travel instead of 160 because you know, efficiency, or some other invented reason. I'm so glad I don't read online MTB rags, but obviously the high-tech advertising (I believe that's what the industry calls it) works. I don't blame my LBS, they're stuck dealing with whatever the mfg'er is trying to push this year, whether they believe in it or not.

CrankAddictRich

You tagged me, not him.. you brought this on. If not for your tag, I would be blissfully unaware of this thread, smashing away on an indoor trainer, building up my legs and ignoring my lack of bike handling skills... hahaha. As far as the topic is concerned, I have no idea what down-country is... I've heard it, but it kind of just gets watered down with so many of the other jargon terms that seems to be overflowing from MTB.. XC/marathon/downcountry/trail/all-mountain/enduro... so many sub-genres it will make your head spin. I think that downcountry is similar to XC Marathon, right? An XC bike that has bigger/burlier tires and a dropper?

As for the TT/Triathlon business.... in some cases they are the same, in some cases, they aren't. It really depends on the bikes in question. No 500 page explanation. haha :p

Captain Brainstorm

Ahhh, Pinkbike, should have known. Pinkbike used to be cool back in the day, but I punched out about 5yrs ago. Writing and reviews went to shit, and they do a really shitty job hiding any pretense that they're just advertising for the industry. Actually, a lot of on-line rags went to shit. In the car world, Jalopnik is another site that used to be really good, but now is just a steaming pile of garbage.

Top Bottom