Bad Driving

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tend to drive fast most of the time, but I never get in anyone's shit about it if they aren't. I've learned that if something happens and you were the one speeding, it's going to be your fault so it's just not worth getting pissed if other people aren't going as fast as you when you're breaking the limit. Case in point: I used to live up a hill from a main drag in Doylestown, PA. I once pulled out of my apartment and started to go down the hill. Now, I am not in a hurry or anything, but rolling down the hill, I just happened to go above the 25 mph speed limit - you know, because it was a hill. This other car comes along and does a half-second stop at a stop sign and decides to hurry up before I get there (I had no stop.) So he misjudges my speed and we collide. I was going maybe 29 in a 25. He was going less than 25 because he had just started. The cop did all the measuring and determined I was above the limit and said it was my fault. I tried to protest and he told me to save my breath - if he didn't declare it that way, the other guy's insurance would have an expert review it and I'd definitely lose because I was above the limit. So speeding is a gamble either way, which I'm fine with but I'm not going to be a dick about it to someone deciding not to take that gamble.

Another incident I once had is perhaps an even better example why being aggressive driver is not a good idea. When I was in college, I used to work as a bartender on the weekends at a restaurant in Eatontown. A buddy of mine at school worked there with me and I used to drive us down after my last class. It was usually tight because my last class would end at around noon and my shift started around 3 for happy hour prep. So I'd have to get all my shit together, pick him up at his dorm and then get him to his place (which was a few miles from the restaurant) before heading to work myself. So I used to drive pretty fast down the Turnpike and Parkway. One such Friday, I'm doing about 85 (terminal speed for my '81 K-car) and look in my rearview and there is a car so close up my ass I can't even tell what kind of car it is. So I do what any self-respecting smart ass would do - I tap my brakes. Wrong move. It was a cop in an unmarked car. Actually, it was a 'roided up state trooper who was so angry when he came up to my window that I was pretty sure he was going to rip my front door off. Seriously, this guy was purple with rage. He starts screaming at me and doesn't stop for like five minutes. Then he demands my license and registration and says, "You better hope there's no problem with these." Then he stomps back to his car and leaves me and my buddy sitting there for like 20 minutes. My buddy and I are afraid to move - we just stare straight ahead and he says (almost under his breath) "I don't think you're getting a warning." That cracks me up and I tell him to shut up because if I start laughing, we're both going to get our asses beat right there on the side of the Parkway. In the end, I got a ticket for going 30 over the limit (which put me right on the edge of too many points) and fine of something like $350 (which, for a college student in the 90's, was a wad.) And I just took the ticket and thanked the officer. I drove the rest of the way in the right lane doing about 45. So, yeah, my little "tap the brakes" stunt really showed him, didn't it? But you know, every time I've thought of that cop since then, I wonder WHEN he died of a massive rage-induced heart attack not IF he died of a massive rage-induced heart attack. To this day, I think that is the angriest I've ever seen another human being.
In NY I was speeding on the thruway near Albany through a section that had construction going on (no actual construction or construction workers) so it had two lanes with Jersey barriers on both sides, no shoulders. Tons of cars/trucks on a Friday afternoon. Cop was in a gap in them and pull out and turns on his lights behind me.

I drive to the safest area I can and when I pull over he is freaking the fuck out of me for not pulling over immediately. Like WTF, I assumed you wouldn't want to be standing in the middle of a highway with me blocking half the lanes asking me for my papers. It's not like I lead him on a chase or had anywhere to go.

Another time at 5:30am on the BQE in NYC I got behind some very slow car and get into the left lane to pass at a normal speed. Some asshole with one headlight gets behind me and tailgates me as I'm passing the car so I speed up a little bit. Cop. Pulls me over for speeding.

ebarker9

I drive to the safest area I can and when I pull over he is freaking the fuck out of me for not pulling over immediately. Like WTF, I assumed you wouldn't want to be standing in the middle of a highway with me blocking half the lanes asking me for my papers. It's not like I lead him on a chase or had anywhere to go.

I got rammed from behind by another car (that didn't stop) and slid from the right lane across traffic, ending up against the divider to the left of the left lane on the Mass Turnpike a few years ago. State trooper shows up and the first thing that he says is: "In the future, it's a lot safer if you can pull off on the other side of the highway where there's a should". Yeah, no shit man, you think I wanted to be here up against a barrier with no shoulder at night, in the rain? He also decided to yank my driver's side door open for whatever reason and then couldn't get it shut, so I sat there for however long with the rain pouring in on me. He said "it's alright, you've got the Arc'Teryx on".

Also recall getting pulled over in some small NH town when I was in college. Driving like 20mph in a line of traffic. Pulled over to let the police car through and the guy pulls in behind me and acts like I've just mowed down a child. I think it was a situation where the actual in-town speed limit was something crazy like 7mph just giving them license to harass people.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I always take it to the end and use the Zipper Method. Same with on ramps when merging onto I-295 during the daily commute. Obviously I move over when it's safe to do so.
I’ve recently adopted the same philosophy. When I learned to drive I was taught otherwise. I used to get so angry at the “bandits” who would stay in the lane that was closed ahead and “get in front of everyone” who moved over when they saw the sign. Then I heard the explanation that “lane closed 1 mile” means the lane is still intended to be used until the point it is closed to prevent a long queue of slow traffic in one lane. The signs are ample warning to match speed, etc and prepare a zipper merge. Now that’s how I handle it. I don’t speed like a DB but I will take the open lane and merge at the closure point. So many people get absolutely bent, refuse to allow a merge, try to block lanes, etc. It’s nuts to me that I used to be one of those people.

kdebello

Those with teenagers driving to high school I'm sure have experienced this, but it was a shock to me to learn how much of a warzone the HS parking lot is.
Every single day my kid tells me about another accident at school. She waits until the lot clears out a little before leaving. Says it's still bad but there's less cars to dodge getting out

In September she was backed into while standing still. The girl who hit her said she doesn't have a backup camera so she didn't see her. I guess mirrors aren't a thing these days.

kdebello

the other one that happened to my daughter was she was stopped in traffic in the right lane on Rt22 in Mountainside. A tractor trailer came out of the u-turn, drifted over and side swiped her. Driver side door ripped apart. He never stopped and took off.
She was smart enough to take a picture of truck. Had the company name (Carter Lumber), truck # and DOT #. The driver said he never hit anyone, but we ended up getting the deductible back, so it worked out in the end.

The real sad part is that this car is a 2013 Accord that she bought from my mom. Only had 15k miles on it at the time. Pristine condition and she takes care of it and appreciates keeping it nice.
When she picked it up from the body shop, she sent it back 3 times to fix everything she didn't like with the job. @Carson would be proud

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Those with teenagers driving to high school I'm sure have experienced this, but it was a shock to me to learn how much of a warzone the HS parking lot is.
Every single day my kid tells me about another accident at school. She waits until the lot clears out a little before leaving. Says it's still bad but there's less cars to dodge getting out

In September she was backed into while standing still. The girl who hit her said she doesn't have a backup camera so she didn't see her. I guess mirrors aren't a thing these days.

Good for her for waiting. Also, back into parking spots. So much easier pulling out forwards in a zoo of idiot drivers.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Just spent a week in Jamaica. Talk about bad driving. They use the horn instead of brakes and the hazards are to let people know you are actually going to brake and slow down. Fun times.

don

I've been driving around the local states (PA/CT/MA) the least few weeks bringing my youngest to visits colleges. The amount of people in the left lane driving just over the speed limit but more engaged with their cell phone has been astounding.

I try not to be the stereotypical Ram driver but when you are doing 70 in a 65 and I can see a half mile of open space ahead of you and a opening in the right lane then I'm going to "ask to move over" with some high beams. Usually that doesn't work so I have to pass on the right side. While doing that I'll glance over to look at the driver. They are plugging away at their cell phone and have no clue I'm even going around them.

I've found that the ripple of effect of that driver screws up the traffic flow a lot - when I go around and some of them realize and then they speed up, or they lay on the brakes or speed up way more erratically.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I've found that the ripple of effect of that driver screws up the traffic flow a lot - when I go around and some of them realize and then they speed up, or they lay on the brakes or speed up way more erratically.
yes, this is actually studied quite heavily in traffic planning, the slinky effect, and has increased extremely since smart phones. It is very disruptive in urban areas

rlb

On a similar note, it's very aggravating when someone is in the left lane putzing along because there are other cars nearby, but when the surrounding lanes clear up they speed up. That makes passing them / getting away from them a bit more of a PITA.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yes, this is actually studied quite heavily in traffic planning, the slinky effect, and has increased extremely since smart phones. It is very disruptive in urban areas
Have you read Traffic?
Amazon product
Great nerd read, and at over 400 pages, my wife was really glad when I finished it
(and STFU about traffic during dinner convos)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Doing my usual cruise in the left lane with nobody behind me, and passing cars in the middle.
I see a slow truck in the middle lane, and a car approaching the back of it.
without signaling, he starts into my lane as i'm closing.
he moves back to the middle, cause he saw me!!!!

then he puts on his signal and pulls out anyway,
not speeding up to match my speed and stay out front,
just continuing at his speed.

He didn't want to be inconvenienced with slowing....
and obviously i could wait for him......

Top Bottom