Bad Driving

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone with the phone to their face while in a modern car with Bluetooth should be shot.

Often I'll see shitty driving and see someone with the phone to their ear. If you're too dumb to figure out how to connect your phone to your car, you're too dumb to drive.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
In my opinion, it is because there is a shoulder on the left which means nobody to watch out for merging from the left (generally). All the “action” happens to your right. Same cannot be said for any other lane in a 2-20 lane highway. So basically I think people feel most comfortable and safe there.
Exactly. I have a friend that camps in the fast lane. She says it's easier to drive in that lane so she does.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
My favorite, I'm driving in the right lane. Nobody on the road except the a-hole tailgating me.

Nobody on the road. So I put on cruise and play the game: slow my speed by 1 or 2 mph every few minutes and see how long it takes them to pass me

mtn

My favorite, I'm driving in the right lane. Nobody on the road except the a-hole tailgating me.

Nobody on the road. So I put on cruise and play the game: slow my speed by 1 or 2 mph every few minutes and see how long it takes them to pass me
I assume this means people are complacently driving, most likely with cruise control or distracted.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
And in tonight's aHole move, 5 over in middle lane-I'm in Florida so 75ish. Family in car. A little traffic but left lane is clear.

Guy tailgates me until there is an opening in the right lane to pass. I was so tempted to speed up.. But didn't. I just expect it.

mtn

And in tonight's aHole move, 5 over in middle lane-I'm in Florida so 75ish. Family in car. A little traffic but left lane is clear.

Guy tailgates me until there is an opening in the right lane to pass. I was so tempted to speed up.. But didn't. I just expect it.
These people i call little ‘babies’. Most likely thinking that they will get a ticket if using the left lane so they do everything possible to avoid it. Literally scared of it.

xc62701

The radar cruise control is garbage in NJ, it leaves a good gap so people go around you and it keeps slowing down to maintain a distance. You can actual tell cars that are using it because they have a huge space and people keep going around them and it maintains it and clogs the left lane.
I agree. I end up turning my radar control off and just use the normal cruise. Way less frustrating around these parts. I use cruise all the time. My radar cruise does let me adjust the size of the gap in front but it’s still too annoying to use.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree. I end up turning my radar control off and just use the normal cruise. Way less frustrating around these parts. I use cruise all the time. My radar cruise does let me adjust the size of the gap in front but it’s still too annoying to use.

There needs to be a "NJ" setting on the gap. One bar is still WAY too much gap for the dickbags around here.

pibbles

We think alike. I literally drive with my cruise control buttons and always 10-15 above posted speed limits. That's the secret to never getting a ticket!

I also can't stand when everyone is cruising nicely at 80 mph on the interstate and some ass hat is still trying to pass all the cars like we're going slow.
And its always a prius!

rick81721

Lothar

75 is too slow on highways around here!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
P.S. MTB - Because off road.

100%

I actually like riding a road bike quite a bit but just don't have the stomach for it much anymore. Too many close calls...
As someone who primarily drives for a living, is a cyclist and motorcyclist, I'm convinced that driving laws no longer exist.

I can't really blame cops in today's environment. When COVID first happened, no one wanted to be near other people so there was basically no chance of being pulled over. Then all the antifa riots and defund the police movement started. And finally, everything the police do is now recorded by people on their phones. Often times the videos are clipped and don't show the situation in its entirety.

I can't imagine the police want any more interaction with people than is absolutely necessary at this point.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
What sayeth the driving gurus around here about how to handle the ol "right lane closed 1 mile" situation? Are you moving over now or using the right lane up until you can't?

JDurk

What sayeth the driving gurus around here about how to handle the ol "right lane closed 1 mile" situation? Are you moving over now or using the right lane up until you can't?
I always take it to the end and use the Zipper Method. Same with on ramps when merging onto I-295 during the daily commute. Obviously I move over when it's safe to do so.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I tend to drive fast most of the time, but I never get in anyone's shit about it if they aren't. I've learned that if something happens and you were the one speeding, it's going to be your fault so it's just not worth getting pissed if other people aren't going as fast as you when you're breaking the limit. Case in point: I used to live up a hill from a main drag in Doylestown, PA. I once pulled out of my apartment and started to go down the hill. Now, I am not in a hurry or anything, but rolling down the hill, I just happened to go above the 25 mph speed limit - you know, because it was a hill. This other car comes along and does a half-second stop at a stop sign and decides to hurry up before I get there (I had no stop.) So he misjudges my speed and we collide. I was going maybe 29 in a 25. He was going less than 25 because he had just started. The cop did all the measuring and determined I was above the limit and said it was my fault. I tried to protest and he told me to save my breath - if he didn't declare it that way, the other guy's insurance would have an expert review it and I'd definitely lose because I was above the limit. So speeding is a gamble either way, which I'm fine with but I'm not going to be a dick about it to someone deciding not to take that gamble.

Another incident I once had is perhaps an even better example why being aggressive driver is not a good idea. When I was in college, I used to work as a bartender on the weekends at a restaurant in Eatontown. A buddy of mine at school worked there with me and I used to drive us down after my last class. It was usually tight because my last class would end at around noon and my shift started around 3 for happy hour prep. So I'd have to get all my shit together, pick him up at his dorm and then get him to his place (which was a few miles from the restaurant) before heading to work myself. So I used to drive pretty fast down the Turnpike and Parkway. One such Friday, I'm doing about 85 (terminal speed for my '81 K-car) and look in my rearview and there is a car so close up my ass I can't even tell what kind of car it is. So I do what any self-respecting smart ass would do - I tap my brakes. Wrong move. It was a cop in an unmarked car. Actually, it was a 'roided up state trooper who was so angry when he came up to my window that I was pretty sure he was going to rip my front door off. Seriously, this guy was purple with rage. He starts screaming at me and doesn't stop for like five minutes. Then he demands my license and registration and says, "You better hope there's no problem with these." Then he stomps back to his car and leaves me and my buddy sitting there for like 20 minutes. My buddy and I are afraid to move - we just stare straight ahead and he says (almost under his breath) "I don't think you're getting a warning." That cracks me up and I tell him to shut up because if I start laughing, we're both going to get our asses beat right there on the side of the Parkway. In the end, I got a ticket for going 30 over the limit (which put me right on the edge of too many points) and fine of something like $350 (which, for a college student in the 90's, was a wad.) And I just took the ticket and thanked the officer. I drove the rest of the way in the right lane doing about 45. So, yeah, my little "tap the brakes" stunt really showed him, didn't it? But you know, every time I've thought of that cop since then, I wonder WHEN he died of a massive rage-induced heart attack not IF he died of a massive rage-induced heart attack. To this day, I think that is the angriest I've ever seen another human being.

Top Bottom