Another Cyclist Murdered

When you get hit in the head by a 2x4 by someone stepping out from behind a bush....
You are being attacked - we aren't talking about seeing a carjacking, and doing the mighty mouse.

Another silly concocted scenario. Even in yours: get hit in helmet by 2 x 4, go down. Draw gun. Shoot attacker before he finishes you off.

I'm ex-Army and own and use firearms. I have carried, concealed and open, while riding and decided that it was stupid.

If you're riding along and a situation emerges, the odds of managing to draw and effectively use the weapon shown in that photo approach zero.
No.

When you were in the army where did they train you to carry on your bicycle?

When you get hit in the head by a 2x4 by someone stepping out from behind a bush....
You are being attacked - we aren't talking about seeing a carjacking, and doing the mighty mouse.
You forgot the alien abduction and swarm of zombies.

Fawk, I forgot to add the poison gas and checking the latest in the “science is looking up” thread

Here's my take, the situation would have to escalate to the point where drawing your firearm is justified or necessary and by that point your adrenaline level is so high it would be tough to handle it with the same level of calm and precision as if you're in a shooting range with all the time in the world to get ready unless you're trained for it. I think about this every time I'm at the range and times I would joke and ask a range marshal to mess with me a bit while I try to handle a pistol and a rifle. What can possibly go wrong?? LOL.
Depends on the person. I have been in the situation of a hostile takeover with a gun on me…time slows down - at least for me it did. Things move slow.

Train to be alert and aware of your surroundings. The last thing anyone wants to do is draw.

Riding a bike is an atypical and dynamic activity, so you shouldn't carry unless you've been adequately trained to respond to threats while engaging in said activity. Punching holes in static paper targets at the range does not qualify as adequate training.

Riding a bike is an atypical and dynamic activity, so you shouldn't carry unless you've been adequately trained to respond to threats while engaging in said activity. Punching holes in static paper targets at the range does not qualify as adequate training.
Agree and disagree. Would you apply this to everything, like you should have a motor vehicle license to operate a bicycle on public roads?

Don't the police who are on bike patrols carry firearms? I know they are trained in firearm usage as part of their normal operations, not sure if there are additional measures done in bike patrol training regarding firearm usage.

Agree and disagree. Would you apply this to everything, like you should have a motor vehicle license to operate a bicycle on public roads?
No, I wouldn't apply this to everything, however given that concealed carry is now legal in NJ, I think this is a very unique situation. Can you carry while riding, sure. Should you though? How many people can discharge their weapon with accuracy, with one hand, from a seated position? How quickly can you dismount with your heartrate at 140-170bpm, assess a threat with your adrenaline and heartrate spiked, and safely and accurately discharge your weapon? Where do you carry it where its easily accessible to your dominant hand? On the bike, on your person? How do you secure it in rough terrain. What happens when you crash? I think you need to think through all of this first. Sure, you need to consider all of this with CC to begin with, but the bike really complicates and already complicated situation.

Fawk, I forgot to add the poison gas and checking the latest in the “science is looking up” thread

He also failed to mention how said psycho with a 2 x 4 would be within whacking distance of a cyclist traveling 15- 20+ mph and not be seen. I will give him this - if you get attacked by a kook wearing a magical invisibility cloak, having a gun probably won't help you.

Don't the police who are on bike patrols carry firearms? I know they are trained in firearm usage as part of their normal operations, not sure if there are additional measures done in bike patrol training regarding firearm usage.
Probably just that they need to stop riding before using firearm. Most of those bike cops can barely ride bikes, at least the ones in the shore towns.

No, I wouldn't apply this to everything, however given that concealed carry is now legal in NJ, I think this is a very unique situation. Can you carry while riding, sure. Should you though? How many people can discharge their weapon with accuracy, with one hand, from a seated position? How quickly can you dismount with your heartrate at 140-170bpm, assess a threat with your adrenaline and heartrate spiked, and safely and accurately discharge your weapon? Where do you carry it where its easily accessible to your dominant hand? On the bike, on your person? How do you secure it in rough terrain. What happens when you crash? I think you need to think through all of this first. Sure, you need to consider all of this with CC to begin with, but the bike really complicates and already complicated situation.
While I agree, what is your stance on State issued drivers licenses and the operation of an automobile as well as power tools? Getting in a car and driving or being near a road is the most dangerous thing 99.9% of us do daily. There is a solid percentage of people that operate these items that are clearly a safety issue to themselves and others.

As for CC, the first step is to remove yourself from the situation which the bike will better yourself in (most situations). CC doesn’t mean people can be vigilantes or a citizen officer. The first person that uses the law is going to get prosecuted so heavily it does not matter if they were in the right/wrong.

Why is it okay to heavily police one item (firearms) and not another as noted?

He also failed to mention how said psycho with a 2 x 4 would be within whacking distance of a cyclist traveling 15- 20+ mph and not be seen. I will give him this - if you get attacked by a kook wearing a magical invisibility cloak, having a gun probably won't help you.
Less posting and more riding may help said individual

Check the Hudson Greenway attacks on cyclists.

Like you said in a following post. Be aware.
I'm not riding up to the gw alone on that path above the park.

Check the Hudson Greenway attacks on cyclists.

Like you said in a following post. Be aware.
I'm not riding up to the gw alone on that path above the park.

Out of curiosity I checked. Talking about the guy who ran down a bunch of cyclists in a truck? Nothing would save you from that. That just says stay the hell out of stinkin NYC. And I found one report from 10 years ago of a guy who put a rope across the path, tripped a cyclist and robbed him. If the cyclist had a gun, he wouldn't have been robbed.

Out of curiosity I checked. Talking about the guy who ran down a bunch of cyclists in a truck? Nothing would save you from that. That just says stay the hell out of stinkin NYC. And I found one report from 10 years ago of a guy who put a rope across the path, tripped a cyclist and robbed him. If the cyclist had a gun, he wouldn't have been robbed.
Outlaw vehicles and concealed carry vehicles as well as make murder and assault illegal.

Back
Top Bottom