Another Cyclist Murdered

xmonger

Jesus, did you report it to the police?
Long story short: Yes, they caught the kids based on the vehicle description I gave. They were all still in HS. I had some bruising but otherwise was fine so I didn't press any charges. I hope the police put enough scare into them and my act of forgiveness made them better people; but these days... I'm not so sure.

Frank

Sasquatch
Long story short: Yes, they caught the kids based on the vehicle description I gave. They were all still in HS. I had some bruising but otherwise was fine so I didn't press any charges. I hope the police put enough scare into them and my act of forgiveness made them better people; but these days... I'm not so sure.
You are a better man than I am!!!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

Definitely would've pressed charges. This behavior is a precursor to something much worse, especially unchecked. It's not normal kid shooting squirrels and cans kinda thing. Pointing any gun type object at a human and shooting deserves some serious punishment.

xmonger

Definitely would've pressed charges. This behavior is a precursor to something much worse, especially unchecked. It's not normal kid shooting squirrels and cans kinda thing. Pointing any gun type object at a human and shooting deserves some serious punishment.
Yeah, the thought of doing something like that is not one I can comprehend. To point a weapon and fire at a random stranger riding his bike? In any case, the fact of the matter is as juveniles they would not face any legal consequences in NJ even if I pressed charges. If they were adults I would have pursued all remedies criminal and civil.

Sadly, if you follow these things you will note that NJ is following the lead in NY. Many felonies are being committed, the DAs aren't requiring any cash bail, and cases are being dropped with no prison time (depending on the political aspect of the offense).

I'm fine and stronger than ever. The poor doctor in CA is dead. Let's see what if any punishment comes to the murderer there.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Right by the water tower at Bell Works this past summer. Car rolled up on me, passenger shot me 5 or 6 times, and peeled off.
Yikes...I live fairly close to that and have ridden my bike in that parking lot before.

mntal

Crazy stuff. I've been yelled at and shot with a bb gun while cycling in idyllic Central NJ this past year, but this is another level of cyclist hate and racism.

Be careful out there.
Great, he was an accountant. Accountants always getting a bad rap.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
This isn't the usual road rage hating cyclists issue we often hear about. He jumped out and stabbed him! This guy was just a flat out murderer and the cyclist may have just been the nearest innocent guy.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Just to butt in here...

In NJ an individual cannot sign criminal complaints against a juvenile (assuming they were all under 18). Only a police officer or prosecutor can. So whether or not you wanted to press charges, you can't. However the police officers could make your wishes known to the prosecutor. And considering they would be looking at unlawful possession of a firearm and aggravated assault charges, I certainly hope someone in the criminal justice system did the paperwork and at least got them on probation and community service for a good bit.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Riding a bike is "white privilege"?

giphy (16).gif

xmonger

Just to butt in here...

In NJ an individual cannot sign criminal complaints against a juvenile (assuming they were all under 18). Only a police officer or prosecutor can. So whether or no you wanted to press charges, you can't. However the police officers could make your wishes known to the prosecutor. And considering they would be looking at unlawful possession of a firearm and aggravated assault charges, I certainly hope someone in the criminal justice system did the paperwork and at least got them on probation and community service for a good bit.
At the scene the police asked me what I would like done in the matter and they would inform up the chain. Since I wasn't adamant about punishment they never brought up th distinction about pressing charges against juveniles.

In any case, they were supposed to let me know the disposition of the case but they never did. In the interim my sister became severely ill and I had to fly to Europe. I wound up being away for several months.

On a relative basis, this incident became a non event to me but the lack of the local police getting back to me is disconcerting in hindsight.

qclabrat

@xmonger the best your sister and think no one here wants kids on trial but getting the word out could make a future event preventable if others know it's not the same as dumb fun like egging and toilet papering houses. Good to hear you weren't injured

Top Bottom