Angry alternate world

How bad was the gravel/salt on the road? Its my first "post winter" road season and I am just curious what to expect.

Most of the salt was washed off the road and gravel was not an issue. Even the chip seal roads were in good shape. There were the occassional "clumps" of undissolved salt, but they were easy to avoid. It's a pretty hilly route, so the roads drain well and there were only puddles on the few flat sections. I think the roads will be in good shape for the weekend.

It's always good to wipe down the frame with furniture polish and wipe & lube the chain when you get any kind of salt on it. No need to use a hose.

jay i agreed with what you typed and didn't take any of it too seriously/personally.... :hmmm:

im gonna ride tonight. the gods have stopped pissing on us, so it should be fairly nice.

i know. 14ish miles there. same back.

edit: ggrrrrr. stupid snow/rain is supposed to start again. don't mind riding in it, but the roads here are too twisty/hilly with little pockets of cold air for me to trust the drivers...

Last edited:
I've been riding my new fixed gear on the road for the last few weeks and it's a blast. If anyone is interested I'm leading a road ride from the RT. 206 Park& Ride near Cranberry lake on Saurday.
I'll post the details ...

Here they are:
Yawl are cordially invited to the first annual "Van Trapp family hills" ride this Saturday, assembling at 9:39 on RT. 206 Cranberry Lk for a 10:03 roll out time. 3+ hours. Come and enjoy Jenny Jump, Fiddlers Elbow, Brass Castle Road. Cat Swamp and the ol' tyme favorite, Free Union Road. Be there or be square...
Please respond here if your planning on attending...

i'll try to make it down for this. my gearing is likely smaller than yours, so i max out at aabout 31/32 on the downhills. if i can't make it for any reason i'll give you a call, so keep your phone with you pre-ride.

Here they are:
Yawl are cordially invited to the first annual "Van Trapp family hills" ride this Saturday, assembling at 9:39 on RT. 206 Cranberry Lk for a 10:03 roll out time. 3+ hours. Come and enjoy Jenny Jump, Fiddlers Elbow, Brass Castle Road. Cat Swamp and the ol' tyme favorite, Free Union Road. Be there or be square...

I can't make this one, but those are some of my favorite climbs. Going down Fiddler's Elbow is always fun too.

I gonna make it to one of these rides. Prolly sometime in the future when i will not hold yall up all that much

them thar hillz

Here they are:
I assume this ride will not be done on your new fixie?

Are some of those other roads you name comparable in grade to Fiddlers? I've done Fiddlers, Zellers, Iron Bridge, Mt. Lebanon, etc. The other names you've listed don't ring any bells, though hypoxia may have killed those brain cells...

I'd be stoked to get up there at some point for one of your rides.

im itchin to meet you guys up there. i really want to do some climbing. Can we have more elaboration on spirited...or should i not bother:hmmm:

Trust me...

If you have to ask, the pace will not be for you. (this is meant to be funny)

Waht was that other funny line...riding down Fiddlers...who rides down that??? :)

This will be a geared biked ride. A few too many hiills for a fixed gear ride

i might just have to take that statement as a personal challenge. how do these hills compare to weldon rd(high school side) or sparta mtn rd? i've done both of them with relative ease on the fixed gear. with the gearing i have on there, 14-17 is a comfortable pace.

It wasn't slam, come on down, we're actually meeting at the Waterloo rd. trail head, instead of Cranberry Lk. Same place as a few weeks ago. Your more than welcome to show face.

Back
Top Bottom