Allamuchy

But its Allamuchy -- Allamuchy isn't easy, especially when it is slippery.

I never said it was supposed to be easy, I said it is too hard for most people. By designing courses that a low percent of participants enjoy, you get a low percent of people showing up the next year. I understand the guys who set up the 24HOA more than likely ride there a whole lot more than any of us ever will and may have a skewed version of which trails are the "good" ones and which ones make a good race course. Fortunately, like I've said before, the riding aspect of the race is a very small part of what makes this event so great.

-Jim.

holy crap it's a $140 to race :eek:
i need to turn sixteen so i can get a job.
maybe, just maybe i'll be able to make it out.

:edit: never mind, under 19 can't do solo :(

Last edited:
I never said it was supposed to be easy, I said it is too hard for most people. By designing courses that a low percent of participants enjoy, you get a low percent of people showing up the next year. I understand the guys who set up the 24HOA more than likely ride there a whole lot more than any of us ever will and may have a skewed version of which trails are the "good" ones and which ones make a good race course. Fortunately, like I've said before, the riding aspect of the race is a very small part of what makes this event so great.

-Jim.

As "the" local I will say that some of lasts years layout was poorly picked.I don't know how or if it was different from other years though cause i pay zero attention to this event, well til just now i guess...

24 HOA Course

It’s always great to hear comments on the course. Keep in mind the crew that sets up the course has been doing this for years and have participated in lots of races (24hr ands your typical roundey-round races); it is not a roadey course...it a mountain bike course; the weather cant be controlled; and last years course was 100% rideable, just maybe not by 100% of the racers. Funny thing about last years course...it had been used in the past and got positve reviews all around, go figure.

That being said, I am sure that the comments on this years course will be that it is too easy! But hey, if you don’t agree with the course lay out there is always next year.

Personally I think that Allamuchy is more suited to teams because it's not an easy place to ride. You kinda have to have your game face on when you ride there, yet fewer teams and more solo riders seem to do it every year. Let's face it, riding a canal path for 24 hours takes enough mental energy let alone a very technical park.

Bob - any chance we can buy 3478 ez-up tents to protect the course from rain this year?

hardtale70 said:
As "the" local I will say that some of lasts years layout was poorly picked...

MixMastyMM said:
Agreed. I feel like there was not a line through some sections of the trail.

I thought you like the course to be a bit harder/technical? Otherwise it is just a Pedalfest, right? You gotta make up your mind. ;)

LOL - good work.

Last year the weather was 90% of the weekend. I was cooked by 6:00 pm that Saturday. I had done 3 laps in the heat and I was toast. Then the rains came, and boy what a mess that was.

The only part of last year's course I thought was out of place was that really rough uphill at maybe the 2/3 point - 4 Bump is it called? I think Nelson was able to ride it but when I got to it on my first lap nobody even tried it.

My opinion was just based on that i would assume a promoter/club putting on a rain or shine event that will put 1000s of passes on a trail would avoid areas that are historically swillholes in even the driest season. The issue is kinda tough to avoid though w/ the start where it is. I'm seeing this from the rider suffering side and not ecological impact BTW.......

I thought you like the course to be a bit harder/technical? Otherwise it is just a Pedalfest, right? You gotta make up your mind. ;)

You are right Ben. :p From what I remember I think there were a few sections where I could not see a line that looked remotely rideable. I also did not see anyone else in the sections so I could have just been missing the obvious. I think Norm is refering to one section I have in mind. It was uphill, dropped off on the right hand side and had 3 foot diameter boulders in it. Everyone in my campsite had to hike-a-bike there.

LOL - good work.

Last year the weather was 90% of the weekend. I was cooked by 6:00 pm that Saturday. I had done 3 laps in the heat and I was toast. Then the rains came, and boy what a mess that was.

The only part of last year's course I thought was out of place was that really rough uphill at maybe the 2/3 point - 4 Bump is it called? I think Nelson was able to ride it but when I got to it on my first lap nobody even tried it.

hmmm, I looked forward to that hill every lap. I also like the challenge of a real mountain bikers course as well. That's what makes it better than most other 24 hr races. As Norm said, maybe some people should be trying a team instead of solo.

Mare, I wish I knew this sooner. I would have loved to do Allamuchy. I would have even done it solo if I had someone to do a few night laps with. A weekend away from the kids riding, can't beat that! But, I think my race budget has been drained at this point.

Muchy

You guys are great. Heading to Killington to get some riding in instead. I'm still trying to get the mud out of my derailer from last year. Have fun, we'll have the weather channel on at a local watering hole, track the rain coming through the allamuchy mtns. keep the lights charged and have fun.

That being said, I am sure that the comments on this years course will be that it is too easy! But hey, if you don’t agree with the course lay out there is always next year.
History would agree. In '04 everyone complained about the 4 bump climb and the sloppy rock gardens, then in '05 I heard folks saying the course was too easy. 2006 parts of the course were cut out last minute due to heavy rains on Friday night and the route ended up about 9.5 miles with some very fast lap times. Last year was more like '04 and was the first year I tried solo so I took the double whammy or perhaps triple with the heat on Saturday. Based on the current weather pattern it should rain for the race, so if the course is easier it could make for a good balance. Either way, you can never please everyone, but keep in mind the folks who say too easy keep coming back, the folks who have a rough time and don't show up quit and don't come back...

Muchy

I dont think people who dont come back its because its too hard. If thats really the reason well, to each his own. I know for fact that the whole relay racing has run its course. Its getting old. If your on a team with a bunch of guys looking for some sh*ts and giggles on a weekend in the end of August fine, go have fun. More people I know who have done this race along with 24hrs Moab, Canaan (back in the day) and others, would rather ride somewhere great during the day, pop a few micro brews around a firepit and have some steaks. College football kicks off that weekend as well. Now adays your seeing more interest in stage races like the BC Bike Race if u want to really get your rocks off.

any 'o you "I have other plans that weekend" SLACKERS going to watch the Olympic XC races on the boob-tube?? Chicks race saturday and Dudes are sunday. I hope they use cool camera techniques instead of the handy cam filming the pack inching up a fire road climb, c'mon China dudes- rig up a cable cam or something:getsome:

-S

You guys are great. Heading to Killington to get some riding in instead. I'm still trying to get the mud out of my derailer from last year. Have fun, we'll have the weather channel on at a local watering hole, track the rain coming through the allamuchy mtns. keep the lights charged and have fun.

That photo looks just like my kitty!

Have in Killington! I just did my first 24rs race up there a few weeks ago.

Mare, I wish I knew this sooner. I would have loved to do Allamuchy. I would have even done it solo if I had someone to do a few night laps with. A weekend away from the kids riding, can't beat that! But, I think my race budget has been drained at this point.

At this point I know for sure I am not doing it this year. Maybe we can aim for next year. I would love to do it solo with you... someone to talk to, motivation, and more fun all around.

Do it Do it Do it....

look at all the fun....MUD MUD MUD!!!!!

moochy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom