Allamuchy

At this point I know for sure I am not doing it this year. Maybe we can aim for next year. I would love to do it solo with you... someone to talk to, motivation, and more fun all around.
Riding solo with a like-minded partner can really add a lot to the experience. My friend Mike and I did this in 98, 99, and 2000, with the explicit understanding that we would stick together and ride as much as both of us were comfy with. One year we both had good legs and desire, and ended up with 10 laps. The other two, one or both of us had issues, and we just rode less, I think 6 & 7 laps. All three years were fun, in their own way.

I haven't been back there since 2000, but the musette that Sara gave racers that year is sitting on the desk in front of me as I type this. Good stuff.

Riding solo with a like-minded partner can really add a lot to the experience. My friend Mike and I did this in 98, 99, and 2000, with the explicit understanding that we would stick together and ride as much as both of us were comfy with. One year we both had good legs and desire, and ended up with 10 laps. The other two, one or both of us had issues, and we just rode less, I think 6 & 7 laps. All three years were fun, in their own way.

I haven't been back there since 2000, but the musette that Sara gave racers that year is sitting on the desk in front of me as I type this. Good stuff.

Well, at least we got you reminiscing a bit! I do agree that a partner makes a big difference. Sometimes I love riding by myself, but sometimes if no one was around (like yesterday), I bail so much sooner than I should. Pain is better shared.

Well, at least we got you reminiscing a bit! I do agree that a partner makes a big difference. Sometimes I love riding by myself, but sometimes if no one was around (like yesterday), I bail so much sooner than I should. Pain is better shared.

Mare, I know you want to do it. ...... If motivation is lacking, do a team. Teams are fun too. They make you go hard and help you split the effort with others. It also is great for learning responsibility and team work. You are more likely to let down yourself than your team mate. So for some, it can teach self discipline.

Mare, I know you want to do it. ...... If motivation is lacking, do a team. Teams are fun too. They make you go hard and help you split the effort with others. It also is great for learning responsibility and team work. You are more likely to let down yourself than your team mate. So for some, it can teach self discipline.

Thanks, Pixy...good points, but this year I am going to wimp out. I am kind of getting really burnt out, so maybe next year I can put this on my list.

and so the weather watch begins....

I just checked the 10-day forecast (as I'm sure alot of you have).

Current prediction for next Friday and Saturday: Sunny 81-83° 20% chance of rain. What's the chance that will change by next Saturday @noonish?

I just checked the 10-day forecast (as I'm sure alot of you have).

Current prediction for next Friday and Saturday: Sunny 81-83° 20% chance of rain. What's the chance that will change by next Saturday @noonish?

chances are pretty good that forecast will change in the next 3 minutes and a few times before next weekend. :)

yeah, forecasts are horrible, all i do is check the radar online to see what kind of fronts are going to hit for when its time for me to ride that day

weather is too unpredictable

So it's almost time... well, kind of. Let's start the Allamuchy talk.

1. Who is doing what?
2. Who can guarantee no rain?
3. Who will convince me to do the race?

1 Doing a four man team 30-40 yrs old

2 I will guarantee (176%) no rain.

Why?

Because I rented a suite at the Marriot this year. No more funking camping horror stories here. After my laps, its back to the air conditioned hotel, a nice shower, put on a nice fluffy bathrobe, slippers, cook something really nice in the kitchen, and turn on the TV and watch something on HBO = NO RAIN.

3 Its the rest place ever to ride

Last edited:
Because I rented a suite at the Marriot this year. No more funking camping horror stories here. After my laps, its back to the air conditioned hotel, a nice shower, put on a nice fluffy bathrobe, slippers, cook something really nice in the kitchen, and turn on the TV and watch something on HBO = NO RAIN.

How far is the Hotel from the boy scout camp? I would think the drive back and fourth would eat up too much down time.

Last edited:
How far is the Hotel from the boy scout camp? I would think the drive back and fourth would eat up too much down time.

its like 2 miles(?)

I'll have to pull out the paperwork today or tomorrow. Maybe its the Holiday Inn(?) instead of the Marriott, can't remember right now

that hotel idea is pretty good..however, being on a 2 person team i wouldnt have time for all of that.

im planning on finishing my lap, eating, scraping off the mud and then resting, get up, ride, repeat

I've done a 4 man team before, and after your first lap the down time really doesn't seem like much. If you want to sleep you'll probably manage an hour at best with the hotel idea.

hotel is cheating...wanna ride the course with a motorcycle too?:D
these races are all about the pain and suffering:getsome:

You can get a decent downtime on a two person also, provided you race 1-2-2-2-2 etc where you essentially switch to two laps each after the initial. If you are your team mate are rocking 1:30 laps, you get three hours while the other person does two laps. Much better than alternating every lap. Heck, if you ride slower you get even more downtime!

BTW - everyone else - keep booking those motel rooms to decrease the chances of bad weather. :):):)

hotel is cheating...

Thats what it took (the hotel) for me to come back to Mooch:p

Its absolutely incredible (when you think about it), that it can rain every year on this race, defies all reason. Had enough of (take totally disgusted number, then multiply it by 123456789.98765432) with tents collapsing, streams running thru the tent, lighting strikes, car getting totally filthy, everything totally freaking soaked, slipping on rocks, roots, ditches of the monsoon campsites............

NO MORE!!!

I'll have enough time to fluff my pillow, read a News Paper (with my feet up on the coffee table), while "you guys" are slogging it out in the mud and rocks of your campsite. :rofl:

hotel is cheating...wanna ride the course with a motorcycle too?:D

I've ridden it w/ a motorcycle plenty of times it's just as painful, especially w/ ALL THE RAIN YER GONNA GET!!!:rofl:

Well, for this year, I've been holding out watching the weather. Since it looks like Fay will not make it up here I went ahead and signed up online. This is unfortunate for everyone else because this almost guarantees that it will rain! Probably right about 2:00am Sunday....

So it's almost time... well, kind of. Let's start the Allamuchy talk.

1. Who is doing what?
2. Who can guarantee no rain?
3. Who will convince me to do the race?

1. Solo (I have no idea why...)
2. no comment...
3. only you can do that...

I have done 24 hour races 7 times as a member of a 4 or 5 person team. My "secret" is to take a shower after each lap, put on fresh bike clothes, eat something (whether you feel like it or not), put in some earplugs and try and sleep for a bit.

Showering and putting on clean clothes makes you feel human again, and earplugs help greatly with the sleeping. Dressing for the next lap before laying down means you dont have to wake up and stumble around looking for your stuff in the dark.

Any tips for doing it solo??

Back
Top Bottom