Allamuchy North Conditions

Robin

Parked at Tranquility lot and headed up white. Got a few of the smaller logs and cut the face slappers.there are a few bigger ones that I couldn't get. Then went up Dan's trail and got a few things. I started on one of the logs at the start of freaking middle but it was too much for me. Still plenty of work to do.

xc62701

Parked at Tranquility lot and headed up white. Got a few of the smaller logs and cut the face slappers.there are a few bigger ones that I couldn't get. Then went up Dan's trail and got a few things. I started on one of the logs at the start of freaking middle but it was too much for me. Still plenty of work to do.
I finished freakin middle and got anything else that was annoying coming out of the scout camp and over to white. It’s riding much clearer now!

Fat Trout

This might be a new record for # of cars at the cranberry ledge lot most with bike racks Only 1 when i went in.
Anyway, quad tracks are heavy on some of the marked trails which is a bit of a bummer. I spent most of my time on the side trails are better anyway and in great shape in other than one tree I'll need to clear on freakin middle.
IMG_20200405_112457.jpg

xc62701

This might be a new record for # of cars at the cranberry ledge lot most with bike racks Only 1 when i went in.
Anyway, quad tracks are heavy on some of the marked trails which is a bit of a bummer. I spent most of my time on the side trails are better anyway and in great shape in other than one tree I'll need to clear on freakin middle.
View attachment 124333

Do you mean the tree that's not quite on freakin middle but south(?) of that heading over towards cardiac? That ones not bad but annoying.

Fat Trout

Do you mean the tree that's not quite on freakin middle but south(?) of that heading over towards cardiac? That ones not bad but annoying.
It sounds like we are talking about the same tree. I tend to head in from Cardiac direction so you are right and my thinking was a little off.

kidzach

View attachment 124333
Holy crap ! I passed by this entrance somewhere between 9-10 am coming from Continental. The only vehicle was the Chevy pick-up with the driver sitting in his truck. Continental lot was also packed. But once in the trails I only came upon one soul on blue.?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

phillychris498

Rode mooch north today. A lot of damp spots throughout in the normal spots, water is still higher than normal for river crossing. Lumpy Bumpy is very well marked with pink markers now, new as of the last week. I didn’t know how to feel about it at first, but lumpy was littered with ride arounds and I think the markings on the correct lines will help that.

Attachments

• CD9395FE-7711-4130-B312-2ACF88F61AAD.jpeg
    CD9395FE-7711-4130-B312-2ACF88F61AAD.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 122

Off The Road Again

Rode mooch north today. A lot of damp spots throughout in the normal spots, water is still higher than normal for river crossing. Lumpy Bumpy is very well marked with pink markers now, new as of the last week. I didn’t know how to feel about it at first, but lumpy was littered with ride arounds and I think the markings on the correct lines will help that.
My 2 cents on that: I'm not a fan of go-arounds/ride-arounds for the most part. The ride-arounds tend to become the new trail, leaving the intended route less maintained. Thus leading to wider trails and more erosion and damage. I've ridden Lumpy a bunch. Can't always make every obstacle, or when I see something that seems too sketch for me, I walk it, no big deal. Same with log-overs and rock gardens - if you can't ride it, walk it but don't create go-arounds. Many riders can ride that, and it puts a challenge to you to eventually clear them. Ok, that was $.05, sorry.

phillychris498

The problem with lumpy is that it isn’t obvious. The first time I rode it correctly was the lucky pre ride. And riding it the right way was way better!
I was thinking about that too... the extra ride arounds on that trail have formed not necessarily from people purposefully cutting the trail, but rather just not knowing where to go. It’s a tough trail to figure out, especially if it’s someone’s first time riding on technical rock like that.

Kev

Yeah I completely agree. The first time I was up there a few years ago I had no idea where to go at all and ended up sort of bushwhacking my way to what I could identify a trail once I hit the area where the trail takes a hard right up a rock, goes along the rock, and makes a U turn past the overlook area. I was fortunate enough to run into somebody my second time up there and he showed me the way to go and it all made sense. I literally haven't run into any other riders at all there ever since so I could understand how people would get confused and not ride the trail. The blazes are definitely a good idea. I was surprised to see how many ride arounds were there a few weeks ago.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Marking the trails like that is popular out west, as it can be tough to follow the trail when it's just a hunk of rock. I feel like marking out where Lumpy Bumpy goes could have been done with logs and rock cairns, but I don't really care that much. I haven't seen it myself yet though.

The first time I rode it correctly was the lucky pre ride. And riding it the right way was way better!

During the race, I was ahead of some guy, and then a short time later, without passing me, he was ahead of me coming toward me. I lol'd and told him to turn around and follow me.

I was surprised to see how many ride arounds were there a few weeks ago.

The markings might help a little, but there will always be ride arounds on trails like that.

Apache1

Florescent Pink blazes were added to make it easier to follow (especially for new comers) and to hopefully reduce shortcuts and the like which take way too much of JORBA's Allamuchy Trail Crew's time to continually keep closing.
I think you will also find you can concentrate on features while having the pink blaze in your periphery and enjoy a better ride. I don't think you will find they were used in excess or suggest the 'exact line'. We will have a tentative trail maintenance schedule up shortly if you would like to give back to this great park: https://www.facebook.com/allamuchytrailcrew/
As of yesterday park is still too wet :(

goldsbar

Lumpy is burned in pretty well at the moment, but yeah, it still can be tough to follow in some spots. When I was first learning it, there were a few guys maybe 30 seconds ahead of me at the start. I could see where they generally went, but couldn't find the trail. That part is better now. The part near the top is still really tough.

They use rock colored spray paint at Lynn Woods, a place North of Boston that makes Lumpy look like a beginner course (for real). You have to look closely, but you can see the arrows and occasional "oh shit" sayings.

PS - on ride-arounds, see Sterling Forest. What started as A & B lines are now A, B, C, D, E...

Fat Trout

For me, the marks make the end/bottom part much more interesting for me to try to make it through. I've always gotten stopped in part because I've spent too much time trying to sort out where the hell I'm going. Once stopped restarting is a pain and I end up hiking sections.

phillychris498

Lumpy is burned in pretty well at the moment, but yeah, it still can be tough to follow in some spots. When I was first learning it, there were a few guys maybe 30 seconds ahead of me at the start. I could see where they generally went, but couldn't find the trail. That part is better now. The part near the top is still really tough.

They use rock colored spray paint at Lynn Woods, a place North of Boston that makes Lumpy look like a beginner course (for real). You have to look closely, but you can see the arrows and occasional "oh shit" sayings.

PS - on ride-arounds, see Sterling Forest. What started as A & B lines are now A, B, C, D, E...
If you ride Lynn fast, you can ride any trail in northeast fast. It’s that difficult.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions