Allamuchy North Conditions

Going off course here for an Allamuchy thread, but... There's a couple of things about Lynn that make it tough. For one, there are no or at least hardly any helper rocks. I'm sure there's plenty of engineer wanna-be folks there, but people must actively throw those rocks away. Look at that big rock at the top of Trestle at Stephens where someone put helper rocks that don't need to be there. My guess is that wouldn't last a day at Lynn. The one exception I saw is a manufactured downhill park-like line with some sick stuff I wouldn't touch. Second is the ledges are 90 degrees. Roll up a rock around here and you know it *probably* has a roll down at the other side. At Lynn, it will be a ledge.

It was great today. Way drier than I thought it would be. Those quads are getting more bold. They’re tearing up the stuff around lumpy and I saw tracks on red last week. Either they’re pushing down trees for easier access or it’s an attempt to dissuade them. It’s not working. Judging from the scarring on the downed saplings the quads just ran them right over.
CD180BEE-8063-485A-9764-7B9F7F99A04B.jpeg

This is the top of the connector from lumpy leading to white. A bunch of stuff pulled down. Just beyond this is a creek crossing. You can see where the quad went up the rock feature on the other side.

Attachments

• A334E530-1F0D-4E20-875A-1FA1B8E696AA.jpeg
    A334E530-1F0D-4E20-875A-1FA1B8E696AA.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 113
I see a lot more rocks, trees and branches strewn across the trails, likely to dissuade quads. They always seem to have a nice space for bike to get thru.

Yea, I saw a bunch of that too. As you can see, no space for anything to get through. Hopefully this issue gets worked out.
It was a good day to ride regardless.

48 cars at the Continental entrance this afternoon. Lined down the road. Sabotaging a trail like this will eventually end with someone getting hurt out there from falling off a bike or rolling an ankle hiking.

Trails rode well today despite the humidity. Some moisture in normal spots but overall pretty good. A slew of trees that were down on red and white have been cut, thanks! There is a new tree down on red right next to the connector trail to blue.

I’m wondering if a reroute might be appropriate for this section of white, between where waving willie and white meet and the bypass switchback climb:

B723D916-0316-4492-9400-F101C5859776.jpeg

that section is one of the biggest suspects for quads, and becomes a big river during times when there’s been some rain. It’s also really prone to erosion and big, loose rocks coming out of the ground into the center of the trail. It’s a downhill section that could make for some cool, new (quad averse) singletrack. Just a thought.
Regardless, I’ve been riding mooch north a ton and I’d love to be a part of the next trail day, anyone know where those are posted?

Trails rode well today despite the humidity. Some moisture in normal spots but overall pretty good. A slew of trees that were down on red and white have been cut, thanks! There is a new tree down on red right next to the connector trail to blue.

I’m wondering if a reroute might be appropriate for this section of white, between where waving willie and white meet and the bypass switchback climb:

View attachment 130943

that section is one of the biggest suspects for quads, and becomes a big river during times when there’s been some rain. It’s also really prone to erosion and big, loose rocks coming out of the ground into the center of the trail. It’s a downhill section that could make for some cool, new (quad averse) singletrack. Just a thought.
Regardless, I’ve been riding mooch north a ton and I’d love to be a part of the next trail day, anyone know where those are posted?
Phillychris498 - we actually had one yesterday 6/6. It is posted here on mtbnj.com under 'Rides, races and events' and 'What's happening this weekend'
You can always PM me as we also do ad hoc sessions some evenings
Thanks for your interest - tell your friends!

Lumpy Bumpy is very well marked with pink markers now, new as of the last week. I didn’t know how to feel about it at first, but lumpy was littered with ride arounds and I think the markings on the correct lines will help that.

Florescent Pink blazes were added to make it easier to follow (especially for new comers) and to hopefully reduce shortcuts and the like which take way too much of JORBA's Allamuchy Trail Crew's time to continually keep closing.

Rode Lumpy today for the first time in a long time, and it was my first time seeing the new trail markings. I like them a lot. They are very helpful for finding your way, and they are not really obtrusive at all. Also, Lumpy is in fantastic shape, Thanks!

Rode Lumpy today for the first time in a long time, and it was my first time seeing the new trail markings. I like them a lot. They are very helpful for finding your way, and they are not really obtrusive at all. Also, Lumpy is in fantastic shape, Thanks!

I agree - I never knew how to ride the large exposed rock/which way to go. Granted I now see a few lines but I agree, the pink markings are helpful.

Did you get the trifecta lumpy rolly candy?
Throw in Dan's for good measure?

Yeah I did all the good stuff, and I also climbed Cardiac which I haven't done in a really, really long time.
I climbed Cardiac for the first time in a while yesterday, even though I've been riding mooch about twice a week. It's quite the beast. I noticed two new lines down rollers that I hadn't noticed previously, the one further down the hill looked like a pretty big one. I'm planning on hitting that tomorrow.

Throw in Dan's for good measure?

Dan's has become a must ride for me... I really like the descent on the trail before it too (I call it DanDuro).

I climbed Cardiac for the first time in a while yesterday

I was pretty sure I hadn't climbed it since the mtbnj mooch madness race that took place during Cranks in 2012. But I just checked strava and I rode it at Cranks in 2015, and you were on that ride, lol. I cleaned it today for presumably the first time.

Hit the goodies and call it Dan's lumpy rolly candy or Dan's bumpy polly ass :)

Dan’s bumpy Polly ass is definitely better. But add in freaking middle and ice cream.

Dan’s freaking Bumpy Polly Creamy Ass.

I was pretty sure I hadn't climbed it since the mtbnj mooch madness race that took place during Cranks in 2012. But I just checked strava and I rode it at Cranks in 2015, and you were on that ride, lol. I cleaned it today for presumably the first time.
That’s hilarious, pretty sure that’s the first time we rode together. That was a great loop. How’s candy ass conditions wise? Haven’t ridden it in a while.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions