Allaire

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
.. SO I was struggling on the 29er SS a bit today. I was spinning it out big time on the flats but choking on the gear on the climbs.

I just couldn't find my rhythm. Sort of a bummer day for me.

Basically my 7 26" SS is so dialed that it seems silly to even play with this thing.

I am sort of considering a 1x9 conversion on the 29" bike. It just behaves so differently than I want it to. For now anyway..

These might just be growing pains.

Thanks guys for waiting for me today. I hate being the caboose but I guess that is what snowboarding does to my riding.:drooling:

We were looking for Pat Brown but he must not have found us in the lot??

j-

Last edited:

PatrickBrown

.. SO I was struggling on the 29er SS a bit today. I was spinning it out big time on the flats but choking on the gear on the climbs.

Basically my 7 26" SS is so dialed that it seems silly to even play with this thing.

I am sort of considering a 1x9 conversion on the 29" bike. It just behaves so differently than I want it to. For now anyway..

Thanks guys for waiting for me today. I hate being the caboose but I guess that is what snowboarding does to my riding.:drooling:

j-

I forgot how to get to the allaire riding spot..... J/K

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you, wanna fight? jk. :D

it was an answer to your question about what j has to do to make 29" work for him.

scalpel6

j-

JDog your 29er is a fun bike. I would love to ride that bike with a big ring.

We have to talk about building that same bike with gears. :getsome:

PedalPaddles

It was good to ride with everybody today. The conditions were nice and fast. A little dusty but mtb biking isn't supposed to be clean.

Jason...sorry you had a bad day. I guess a bad day mountain biking is better than a good day at the mall.

Chris and I rode some more and ran into Tara's group, and a big group it was. We rode with them through Tiger Woods and Chris took us through the bob sled run for some extra fun. Hope to ride with everybody from up north again.

The irony? The only guys with bike problems today were single speeders. The guy on the Breezer broke his chain guide and of course we all heard Jason's whining about his bike.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
bikes with tensioners are like people with crutches, they don't count. chain tensioner = not a real singlespeed. ::buuuuurp:: :cool:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Rough day

for sure, you are right....

so whats gotta be done to get the 29er to work for you well?

The 29er works best when it is going fast. Once it is up and rolling it seems like a perpetual motion machine. It just goes. It flies down hill and blasts thru most of the sections. I felt like I needed at least one harder gear on the open spots.

but.. when it gets ultra tight and twisty I felt like I was in too hard a gear.

Yeah I might be loosing some fitness and yeah I had a bad day but I need some more time on the bike.

Strangely I didn't have any such issue with the Mary SS. It could be that the 180mm cranks on the Mary allowed for a bit more leverage on the tight sections.

I was the slowest I have ever been on the Tiger woods section. The last time I was on the 26" SS I was jamming. I was having a great day but all the same I felt much faster.

All this leads me to think that a 1x9 on the 29 makes more sense.

Also I am sure that the Rampages are about 2wice the traction that I need on a 29er. I think I will try something faster rolling like the Crossmarks next..

More to come.

j:hmmm:

Top Bottom