Allaire

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
JDog your 29er is a fun bike. I would love to ride that bike with a big ring.

We have to talk about building that same bike with gears. :getsome:

Yeah.. It was fun to switch bikes with you. That Scalpel is really fun.

j:)

jdog

Shop Keep
the rampages did hook up well then? was there anything soft to run them through?

It was a rock hard frozen sand base with a silty dusty layer on top. A few frozen ruts and random ice patches. Really a weird combo that happens quite rarely. Next weekend we will be riding on a few inches of snow so my tires might be better suited.

I rode Bill's Scalpel for a bit which had nearly the perfect tread for today.. Larsen TT's 2.0 UST's. Too small volume for my taste but mega fast. That in a 2.2 29er would make me smile. Oh yeah make it UST too..

j-

anrothar

entirely thrilled
alot of the 29er tires with sufficient volume had been lacking in anything resembling cornering knobs untill this year. i look into the ones you recco'd in the other thread. thanks

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Hooha

Yeah, today was a fun one. Actually, the only SSers in the 9AM group were J. and I. Everybody else had those silly gears, including J.'s buddy on the sweet-as-hell Breezer.

Agreed on the unusual conditions. I came home from a sub-freezing winter ride covered in dust.

Glad to see so many great people out in Allaire today. Tara had a big ol' gang there with whom I'd have been stoked to ride more, if time permitted.

Kris and I did 5 hours in that park this weekend. Yikes.

jdog

Shop Keep
Yeah, today was a fun one. Actually, the only SSers in the 9AM group were J. and I. Everybody else had those silly gears, including J.'s buddy on the sweet-as-hell Breezer.

Agreed on the unusual conditions. I came home from a sub-freezing winter ride covered in dust.

Glad to see so many great people out in Allaire today. Tara had a big ol' gang there with whom I'd have been stoked to ride more, if time permitted.

This is the first day that I wished I had gears in a very long while.

E

elweako

It was great riding with you guys. Maybe next time I'll buy something from the internet that will keep my chain on my bike so that I could have more time to ride with you guys! Besides that particular 'mechanical' issue, the Breezer telepathically enjoyed that trail and reinvigorated my joy for mtn biking.

I'll have to bring the Darth Breezer next time to merry up to the rigid-steel Bontrager.

jdog

Shop Keep
It was great riding with you guys. Maybe next time I'll buy something from the internet that will keep my chain on my bike so that I could have more time to ride with you guys! Besides that particular 'mechanical' issue, the Breezer telepathically enjoyed that trail and reinvigorated my joy for mtn biking.

I'll have to bring the Darth Breezer next time to merry up to the rigid-steel Bontrager.

You better pick a picture or someone will give you one..

An introduce yo self.. Have you no manners!

j:getsome:

E

elweako

Elweako needs no introduction...I'm an icon..I mean, Arounkone.

The Rose

I do believe I saw you guys out there. Black scalpel with yellow maybe and someone had a lefty fork, on a....chrome, hmmm cannondale? alot of riders using the trails for this time of year. Did my heart good.

jdog

Shop Keep
SAT 9 AM Allaire ride.. Bring hot chocolate..

I am going out at 9am snipe hunting at Allaire. Anyone else want to come play too. I am bring out my bike with gears since I got whooped last time. I haven't ridden that thing since July..

9 am hospitol RD.. Chuck says it is Ok but very cold out there.

j-

jdog

Shop Keep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

Based on this some might think I was kidding but we are riding.

Make sure to read the other fools errands below in the link.. There are some classics like: The metric adjustable wrench and hammer.

j:D

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
We didn't find any snipes but we found some variable trail conditions.

It went from nice crunchy, soft, edgeable snow to fritionless super super teflon coated and back again.

It was a fun but slow and challeging ride.

I never crashed but I think Fred crashed at least 50 times. I don't think i have even been scared going downhill at Allaire before but I sure was today.

Just as you left the lot it was very very icy so most folks turned and left without even trying the trail.

One guy (Rob Holmes) had studded tires and I was more than a bit envious.

I am almost thinking of getting a set but that would certainly put a quick end to this cold snap.

j-

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am almost thinking of getting a set but that would certainly put a quick end to this cold snap.

We can all pitch in if it helps?

Of course get your riding in now. Because when this mess melts most of the trails are going to be a mess for a while.

ArmyOfNone

Oh that Fred, he's just silly

my goodness the trails were redonkulous today. i think there was about 15 feet that was not covered in ice. It was fun for a bit, bc we were a bunch of jackasses on our bikes in the woods. towards the end i just gotta bit frustrated with falling off the bike every 6 feet.

I think ill be riding on the road for a bit. Or until i pick up those studs from molasses. Hopefully this week.

and i think i was the only one on the ride with a hole in one!

Top Bottom