Allaire Saturday 1/20 9AM

I recommend you guys read The Performance Zone by John Ivy Ph.D. and Robert Portman, Ph.D.

It explains (in English) what you need before a ride to perform well and what to eat after a ride to recover well. It's written for the layman and does not require a biology duhgree.

By the way....Muscle Milk? Sounds like something you dring while wearing diapers.

I have the Performance Zone. It's consistent with other books about the subject.

I read up on the protein, and whey protein powder creates ammonia in your muscles, which is not good before and during exercise. Soy before and during, whey after. Or so the theory goes.

i think you guys might be getting too involved with when and what, try and remember that we ride bikes because it's fun,and we don't get paid for it...yet.I usually do a few xc races over the summer and do ok I only enter the beginner level (7-10 miles) but pancakes have seemed to be the ticket. I'm not sure what it is but I have proven this a few times.I generally finish top 15 of 90 or so riders, but at the Lewis Morris race last summer I didn't have my beloved breakfast and finished 41 0f 92.Could have been coincidence,might have peaked before the race and been on a down slide, but I was slow!I even got passed by a guy in the 50+group(i'm 33) about 4 miles into it and couldn't catch him(he finished 40th) 9seconds ahead of me.Well I'm digressing a bit,so just try it, it seems to work for me it might for you too.
P.S-I make my own at home,only have three which is enough for a race without weighing me down,I use butter and syrup,and eat them at least 30 min. before the race. Give it a try the next time you're riding to test it out you might be suprised.

i think you guys might be getting too involved with when and what, try and remember that we ride bikes because it's fun,and we don't get paid for it...yet.I usually do a few xc races over the summer and do ok I only enter the beginner level (7-10 miles) but pancakes have seemed to be the ticket. I'm not sure what it is but I have proven this a few times.I generally finish top 15 of 90 or so riders, but at the Lewis Morris race last summer I didn't have my beloved breakfast and finished 41 0f 92.Could have been coincidence,might have peaked before the race and been on a down slide, but I was slow!I even got passed by a guy in the 50+group(i'm 33) about 4 miles into it and couldn't catch him(he finished 40th) 9seconds ahead of me.Well I'm digressing a bit,so just try it, it seems to work for me it might for you too.
P.S-I make my own at home,only have three which is enough for a race without weighing me down,I use butter and syrup,and eat them at least 30 min. before the race. Give it a try the next time you're riding to test it out you might be suprised.

This just goes to show it's all personal. Eating 30 minutes before a race breaks about every accepted pre-race nutrition tenet I've ever read. But whatever works for you works for you.

I recommend you guys read The Performance Zone by John Ivy Ph.D. and Robert Portman, Ph.D.

It explains (in English) what you need before a ride to perform well and what to eat after a ride to recover well. It's written for the layman and does not require a biology duhgree.

By the way....Muscle Milk? Sounds like something you dring while wearing diapers.

Thanks for the tip, I will try to pick it up, right now Im enjoying the Monique Ryan book that norm suggested, lots of good stuff in there.

the best tasting stuff IMO is Muscle Milk. I have had nothing that compares to it in taste. I use it after work outs or as a snack between meals. Its gotta bit of sugar and fat. But i figure its a good way to replenish everythign after a good workout.

I'll second that. Many moons ago, when I was trying to gain weight, Muscle milk was the best tasting stuff I could find. It is also the only stuff that is bearable when mixed with water, the generic stuff tastes like ass when mixed with water, as opposed to milk.

Back
Top Bottom