Allaire Saturday 1/20 9AM

stupid legs, stupid lungs, I'm gonna go spin on the trainer until my heart explodes.

Last edited:
That was a good ride. Allaire is fun when it is frozen. The temps climbed from 28F to 30F while we were riding. I never really felt cold though.

Walter...perhaps you should review your pre-ride diet, it can make a big difference in the way your stomach feels during the ride as well as help your performance.:drooling:

Great Ride

Allaire is perfect when the temp dips below 30.
This was my second ride with the boys from the board and I had a great time.
Lets get a ride going for next week. :D

Right on

Fun ride in sub-freezing Allaire. Thanks to Bill, Fred, Kris (and brother-in-law Bill), and Walter for coming out for a spin. Once I quit goofing around, we got into a good groove, though we lost Walter to his stomach woes halfway through.

Who's up for rocking the Hartshorne/Huber double in the next few weeks?:hmmm:

sweating, dry-heaving in sub freezing temps is a blast. Again, thanks for leading a great loop, one day, I will see how it ends. Going to go and try to get my nutrition and other issues worked out. I cant figure it out, I am not wasted lung wise, my legs just stop spinning. The stomach issues I think were a result of me trying different pre-ride meals, and today was my first ride with accelerade, maybe it didnt work out for me, any suggestions anyone?

Anyhow, it was great to meet you guys and put the faces to the names, hopefully I will give it a shot again sometime. Think I'll pass for now on the Hartshorne ride, if I cant hang at allaire, I'll get murdered over there.

Its all in good fun, see you guys soon

Accelerade

I didn't do that well with accelerade myself. Check out Hammers Heed. Great product at a low price. They also sell gels that are good as well. :drooling:

The stomach issues I think were a result of me trying different pre-ride meals, and today was my first ride with accelerade, maybe it didnt work out for me, any suggestions anyone?

Accelerade takes some getting used to. Try mixing it half strength. You will still get benefits from the carbs and protein and it is easier on the stomach. You can increase the strength a little at a time to see what you can tolerate. Also, don't eat solid food for two hours before the ride. Accelerade makes a good gel for pre-ride and during ride. The long standing favorite pre-ride meal of many endurance athletes has been oatmeal. Lots of carbs and sticks to the ribs.

I usually order from www.vigorousliving.com (Great prices).

Good reference: The Performance Zone Book

a good old water bottle full of cytomax used to do the trick for me....... plus stopped any cramping during the ride......

Used to be a big fan of Accelerade but over time it grew less and less useful to me. At this point I use plain maltodextrin with little bit of Accelerade or Gatorade just to give it flavor. When I do longer rides the Accelerade really starts to add up in a bad way for me.

At this point I'm looking for a flavorless protein powder to add (suggestions Jake?), because protein aids in the absorption of both water and calories in the stomach (digestive track, whatever). Studies bear this out yet nobody knows WHY this is the case. The thing to take away from that is that despite all our astounding science knowledge, the body remains a total mystery to us.

Thanks for the help all. Norm, friday I was a good boy, no booze, a good dinner(chicken,rice veggies), went to bed around 10, up at six to get my gear together. The ride was at 9, so at 7 I had a bowl of oatmeal, and on the ride down to allaire I had a banana. About 830 I started sipping on the accelerade.

I felt good during the ride, talking with both Bills, laughing with Fred, then, after a small incline that never presents a problem, my stomach just went all crazy, no actual vomitting, just some dry heaving and some butterflys. From that point on, it was like my legs just didnt want to go on, my breathing wasnt out of control, it seemed like I just ran out of gas.

I am just wondering if I need to improve on what I see everyone refering to as base miles, I think I just need to get my legs used to the stress of longer, higher intensity rides. I normally ride alone at what I thought was a good pace and distance, but Im clearly out of my mind.

Thanks again guys for the input and advice, hopefully I will be able to benefit from it all.

walter

Walter,

Some random thoughts.

Some people like oatmeal before a ride, others really don't at all. I'm one of the "don't" people. I eat plenty of whole grains (including oats) in my normal diet. But oatmeal makes me feel like I have an anvil in my stomach. It's not that bad but I don't find I like oatmeal before a ride.

To hear your description, it sounds to me like the Accelerade doesn't do it for you.

As for base miles, this isn't the result of not having base miles. This is the result of being all out of whack, very possibly the Accelerade. Sure maybe a better foundation will help you keep up. But I don't think the stomach thing is a result of that.

Just keep at it. You'll be fine in the long run. Where do you normally ride solo?

Back
Top Bottom