A Wookies return.....

Frank

Sasquatch
Well this was a chemo week and now it’s time to recover a bit before I can get on the bike again. My desire to ride is dwarfed by my desire to be able to feel my hands, feet, and face. 30 degrees and wind make me want to crawl back into bed.....but I won’t. We do have a treadmill and an elliptical in the basement...oh joy. I need to recline my gun safe and hook up another dehumidifier stick to get rust at bay, that will be my inside project for the week. I’m still tired and woozy from the chemicals, it’s amazing how long it takes to purge from your system....as well as how different you can feel from one week to another.
Looking at this weeks weather makes me think it’s time to go fullface and goggles in order to keep my face from feeling like it’s falling off. I do have heated gloves and bar mitts on my fatty to keep my hands.....somewhat ok. Feet are taken care of by Wolvhammers and heated socks so I should be ok there as well....notice a theme here? Yes, I’m trying to talk myself into getting out there.
I am enjoying time at home and also love watching my collie Bruce grow up. Technically he’s still a puppy, but he’s getting better at commands, not destroying every in sight, and not cowering when we get a delivery. He will be a fine dog but oh god, the hair Is everywhere.....a small price to pay for the love you get though.
09890762-51EA-4CD9-A9C2-CE07292135C0.jpeg
52E82D30-F8C5-41F9-8F67-0C2DC9488CF5.jpeg
B8A58885-B891-46A9-9D88-B1EDA3E4004A.jpeg

serviceguy

Well this was a chemo week and now it’s time to recover a bit before I can get on the bike again. My desire to ride is dwarfed by my desire to be able to feel my hands, feet, and face. 30 degrees and wind make me want to crawl back into bed.....but I won’t. We do have a treadmill and an elliptical in the basement...oh joy. I need to recline my gun safe and hook up another dehumidifier stick to get rust at bay, that will be my inside project for the week. I’m still tired and woozy from the chemicals, it’s amazing how long it takes to purge from your system....as well as how different you can feel from one week to another.
Looking at this weeks weather makes me think it’s time to go fullface and goggles in order to keep my face from feeling like it’s falling off. I do have heated gloves and bar mitts on my fatty to keep my hands.....somewhat ok. Feet are taken care of by Wolvhammers and heated socks so I should be ok there as well....notice a theme here? Yes, I’m trying to talk myself into getting out there.
I am enjoying time at home and also love watching my collie Bruce grow up. Technically he’s still a puppy, but he’s getting better at commands, not destroying every in sight, and not cowering when we get a delivery. He will be a fine dog but oh god, the hair Is everywhere.....a small price to pay for the love you get though.View attachment 149666View attachment 149667View attachment 149668
I wish I could head down to the tropics for yet another tour of Allaire of anywhere you felt like riding. I’ve been a little under the weather the last couple of weeks and had to let the bikes rest, which allowed me to complete the build of the new-to-me el mariachi. Looking forward to it though. Are you planning to take the ‘puppy’ on the trails anytime soon or at all? That would possibly be the fanciest trail dog ever!

Frank

Sasquatch
I wish I could head down to the tropics for yet another tour of Allaire of anywhere you felt like riding. I’ve been a little under the weather the last couple of weeks and had to let the bikes rest, which allowed me to complete the build of the new-to-me el mariachi. Looking forward to it though. Are you planning to take the ‘puppy’ on the trails anytime soon or at all? That would possibly be the fanciest trail dog ever!
Sorry to hear that you haven’t felt well.

Bruce is actually descended from a Westminster winning collie.....his great great great grandfather. He is from great stock, but will never get to be a show dog, we just want him to be a happy family member.....and that’s why the breeder made him available to us. We actually owned his great grandmother and she was just the best, most loving dog ever.....once she got used to men. She got hurt at a show when a display case fell on her while a man was judging her...she never got over her fear but ended up being ok with me..
EEBCCF16-8B28-45CA-B85A-EE4532D0A16D.jpeg

Trisha was a beautiful girl and is sorely missed, she was also a fluff bucket that would shed tons of fur once a year.
As to whether Bruce will ever be a trail dog remains to be seen, I need to work on ground manners with him....when I have more energy and patience. Lol

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry to hear that you haven’t felt well.

Bruce is actually descended from a Westminster winning collie.....his great great great grandfather. He is from great stock, but will never get to be a show dog, we just want him to be a happy family member.....and that’s why the breeder made him available to us. We actually owned his great grandmother and she was just the best, most loving dog ever.....once she got used to men. She got hurt at a show when a display case fell on her while a man was judging her...she never got over her fear but ended up being ok with me..
View attachment 149690
Trisha was a beautiful girl and is sorely missed, she was also a fluff bucket that would shed tons of fur once a year.
As to whether Bruce will ever be a trail dog remains to be seen, I need to work on ground manners with him....when I have more energy and patience. Lol

im guess his shedding is the same 'once a year' that my two do, from Jan thru Dec!

glad you have the dog to help keep your spirits up, we have never met but it sounds like we would get along great!

Frank

Sasquatch
Its funny what can motivate you and what won’t at times. Today I was content hanging out with my dogs while wearing my warm robe, I was comfy and warm.....and thinking about getting my ass in gear and out on the bike. For the last couple of days I used the treadmill, elliptical, and my little tripod trainer that I used when I couldn’t stand for long.....blah. I could of set up my road bike in the basement as a trainer....yeah, not really my idea of fun. I like to look around while I ride and find things that are interesting. One of the things I noticed today while on the bike path was 2 swans in a neighboring pond. I turned around because that’s not something you see everyday......well they turned out to be decoys which gave me a quick chuckle.....how many folk who use that path actually notice the decoys at all???
Now backing up a bit, today’s motivation came from an old friend @ChrisG ....we traded a few texts and it made me happy, so I got off my ass and got changed. I’ve been feeling a little on the weak side lately and really noticed it on my ride. I kept hearing Long Duck Dong saying “ no more yanky my wanky, the donger need food” . I then realized I’ve been living on fruits and vegetable, wookies need meat.
So thanks to Chris, I went out and rode today. I went over to Brisbane and found a section of trail that I tried to show @rottin' and @Norm last week....figured that we were only a few yards away from it, next time.
7E30AD7A-4216-4740-9072-A78D7423559C.jpeg
5E0A7A43-15F9-4034-ABCF-A08EE65B0CBB.jpeg

To cap off a nice afternoon, I got a phone calls from another old friend @Johnny Utah . I’ve known him since he was a kid and it was really nice chatting. Now to got cook some meat, me hungry.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Frank liked the overall post on the day and the motivations, happy to hear that you were able to get out today despite the fatigue still from last week! Also, LOVED the 16 Candles reference!.....Automobile?

Frank

Sasquatch
Well it’s been a tad too cold for me lately, I have a tough time with cold temps and worse when it’s windy. So it’s been indoor stuff for me, at least we have a treadmill and an elliptical to fall back on. I’m a little on edge as I approach my last scheduled week of chemo treatment starting this Tuesday. You would think I would be excited, but my doc hinted at extending it due to the fact that I denied another drug. When I first began this whole process I was feeling near death, ok maybe a bit extreme but I was real sick, and would take any risk if it showed promise.
So at the end of September I allowed them to try a biological that would help my immune system attack my tumors, that did not end well for me. Within a minute of them administering the drug I felt strange sensations in my hands, feet, and face and then I passed out. I awoke in the Emergency room at the neighboring hospital rather confused....long story short I suffered from anaphylaxis, a reaction to the drug which stopped my heart. Basically I died. The EMT who worked on me stuck around the ER and was amazed I was still alive, and when I returned to the lab everyone was very happy to see me. That experience has really changed me.....I am a little less trusting of the medical industry in the US, as we do things way different than other countries. So to date I have denied 2 new drugs they wanted to try on me, one had a high risk of spleen rupture, and the other had a nasty list of possible side effects that resemble traditional chemo nastiness. Now I’m sure many of you are wondering why I’m taking the risk of NOT taking these drugs, but my wife’s research shows that these drug only provide very short term improvements and additional studies show that use of these drugs actually have shown more aggressive tumor growth after use. It’s just not worth the risk to me at this point. Another thing that really sticks in my head is that when my primary ordered follow up blood work, he seemed surprised at the results. He repeatedly asked if I was taking other medication as he seems surprised that my liver functions were NORMAL which is not usually the case with cancer patients. So at this point I would like to finish my treatments, gain back some immunity for which I have none...I think, and return to work and move forward.
I realize my life has changed forever and my future will always be in question, but I will continue with check ups, follow up scans, etc....but I will also continue a healthier diet which has proven to make a huge difference.....kind of wish I had a time machine. Oh and exercise like the simple pleasure of riding my bikes which has saved my life in more ways than one, will always be a part of my plan.
Thanks for reading my semi-rant, mind download, or whatever you call it...it really helps

Johnny Utah

Well it’s been a tad too cold for me lately, I have a tough time with cold temps and worse when it’s windy. So it’s been indoor stuff for me, at least we have a treadmill and an elliptical to fall back on. I’m a little on edge as I approach my last scheduled week of chemo treatment starting this Tuesday. You would think I would be excited, but my doc hinted at extending it due to the fact that I denied another drug. When I first began this whole process I was feeling near death, ok maybe a bit extreme but I was real sick, and would take any risk if it showed promise.
So at the end of September I allowed them to try a biological that would help my immune system attack my tumors, that did not end well for me. Within a minute of them administering the drug I felt strange sensations in my hands, feet, and face and then I passed out. I awoke in the Emergency room at the neighboring hospital rather confused....long story short I suffered from anaphylaxis, a reaction to the drug which stopped my heart. Basically I died. The EMT who worked on me stuck around the ER and was amazed I was still alive, and when I returned to the lab everyone was very happy to see me. That experience has really changed me.....I am a little less trusting of the medical industry in the US, as we do things way different than other countries. So to date I have denied 2 new drugs they wanted to try on me, one had a high risk of spleen rupture, and the other had a nasty list of possible side effects that resemble traditional chemo nastiness. Now I’m sure many of you are wondering why I’m taking the risk of NOT taking these drugs, but my wife’s research shows that these drug only provide very short term improvements and additional studies show that use of these drugs actually have shown more aggressive tumor growth after use. It’s just not worth the risk to me at this point. Another thing that really sticks in my head is that when my primary ordered follow up blood work, he seemed surprised at the results. He repeatedly asked if I was taking other medication as he seems surprised that my liver functions were NORMAL which is not usually the case with cancer patients. So at this point I would like to finish my treatments, gain back some immunity for which I have none...I think, and return to work and move forward.
I realize my life has changed forever and my future will always be in question, but I will continue with check ups, follow up scans, etc....but I will also continue a healthier diet which has proven to make a huge difference.....kind of wish I had a time machine. Oh and exercise like the simple pleasure of riding my bikes which has saved my life in more ways than one, will always be a part of my plan.
Thanks for reading my semi-rant, mind download, or whatever you call it...it really helps
Inspiring to say the least, keep the good fight going!

moose35

Good for you on doing your own research and being able to tell the doctors "no". Most people blindly follow their advice.
And diet plays a huge role in your health and your immunity.
Keep it up

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Keep doing what works. Hopefully you'll be cleared for work and can try to get back to some normal grind stuff. After what you've been through daily life bs will be cake.😜

Frank

Sasquatch
Good for you on doing your own research and being able to tell the doctors "no". Most people blindly follow their advice.
And diet plays a huge role in your health and your immunity.
Keep it up
Most people in my condition blindly follow because they are scared and confused....your mind/ my mind gets clouded because of the chemicals. This is why it is so important to have an advocate, in this case my wife, who can think clearly and help make decisions.

Frank

Sasquatch
Well it’s been an interesting week to say the least first we had snow and today I finished my last chemo session......i hope. I will still have doc visits and follow up shit to deal with I’m sure, but I’m looking so forward to being able to feel my hands, face, and feet again and hopefully regaining my sense of taste. Who knows what my future holds, but right now I need to focus on building strength and getting back to work.....if my job is still available, who knows. As far as I’m concerned, I just completed the most difficult time of my life and I’m thankful just to be around. Yes, I had fears that I wouldn’t make it but that didn’t sway me from my plan of coming back. So for now one chapter has ended, let’s see what the next one will be.
It was somewhat difficult saying goodbye today, especially to the three folks in the pic below....2 of them were directly responsible for me being able to type this today thanks to their quick actions. I am forever grateful to them, they were always kind, warm, and so caring and made me feel like they were there just for me....I will love them forever.
A970EFF6-BE1E-4027-8936-6EC262766E4C.jpeg

iman29

saw this thread come to the top of activity again and just got caught up, especially the part about the trip to the ER!.

This is very inspiring and is a good reminder to keep things in perspective. everyone knows someone effected by Cancer so its great to see or hear about someone telling cancer to F*ck off whether you know them or not.

Keep at it and thanks for sharing something so personal.

Top Bottom