6MR Pop-up TM Concrete Bridge: We are back!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I rode over that bridge before!
It actually bounces around quite a bit as you go over it.... but in a fun way (for me anyway).
That is a really well maintained park. They even use Trex deck for many of the bridges and boardwalks.
Yeah it sure does. Check out this video I took of friends last winter. Got more and more wonky with every passing rider. Like a bunch of drunken sailors. Check out the last person.
:D

JPark

Yeah it sure does. Check out this video I took of friends last winter. Got more and more wonky with every passing rider. Like a bunch of drunken sailors. Check out the last person.
:D

WOW!
I've only crossed that solo. I guess the extra people act like a force multiplier.
That's a great riding area with Pine Hill, Green Mountain Trails, Killington Bike Park and Sherburne trails all within 30 minutes.

kidzach

WOW!
I've only crossed that solo. I guess the extra people act like a force multiplier.
That's a great riding area with Pine Hill, Green Mountain Trails, Killington Bike Park and Sherburne trails all within 30 minutes.
Pine Hill is definitely my favorite park in the area. The Killington Mountain Bike Club trails are awesome and ever expanding and will be connecting to The Sherburne Trails very soon.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@MadisonDan mentioned that the concrete bridge was clogged again - not sure where this was posted,
Nice enough day out, so i threw my waders in the car and drove over to the April Ln cul-de-sac.
First this.

1605909024150.png

mouse ate a hole in my chest waders, but relatively high up - mouse was not in there, but some other stuff was.
oh well. probably get hantavirus.

Luckily someone came along and unclogged Tube[0] before I got there, so the water wasn't over the bridge
and the low side was dry.

1605909128417.png

yupper, 100% clog of the other tubes. jumped in and started releasing some of the leaves downstream.
and slowly pulling out branches. Couple hours of work, but totally worth it.
Sun was beating down, and I was actually working up a sweat. Couple people said hello.
most people just rode by.:(

Anyway - about 75% of what was stuck that wasn't leaves..
Also excavated the dirt a bit. Lots of buried sticks in front, and in the tubes.
Most of the sticks were used to build up the dam on the right of the pic.

1605909370842.png

Then i went downstream to work on the SandyDam - i could tell it was backing-up the water again.

It is now two dams, holding up about 1' of water.

1605909578094.png

i started working on the second and made good progress.

1605909650018.png

Then i got greedy. the area that is well above water is where the tree forks - and one branch is buried, so it will hold it from falling in.
Greedy - yeah. Never work with only one bar. i expected it to go downward, so i wedged the top, and started cutting up.
i would usually wedge, create a plunge cut and work down, not sure why i didn't. As soon as it started to fall, the left side slid
downhill, and away from me. pinched! also bent the bar. happens.

1605909755437.png

I'll swing by and get that tomorrow. Almost got it out. almost.

Last edited:

pygmypony

@MadisonDan mentioned that the concrete bridge was clogged again - not sure where this was posted,
Nice enough day out, so i threw my waders in the car and drove over to the April Ln cul-de-sac.
First this.

View attachment 143679

mouse ate a hole in my chest waders, but relatively high up - mouse was not in there, but some other stuff was.

Luckily someone came along and unclogged Tube[0] before I got there, so the water wasn't over the bridge

View attachment 143680

yupper, 100% clog of the other tubes. jumped in and started releasing some of the leaves downstream.
Sun was beating down, and I was actually working up a sweat. Couple people said hello.

Also excavated the dirt a bit. Lots of buried sticks in front, and in the tubes.

View attachment 143682

Then i went downstream to work on the SandyDam - i could tell it was backing-up the water again.

View attachment 143683

View attachment 143684

Then i got greedy. the area that is well above water is where the tree forks - and one branch is buried, so it will hold it from falling in.
Greedy - yeah. Never work with only one bar. i expected it to go downward, so i wedged the top, and started cutting up.
i would usually wedge, create a plunge cut and work down, not sure why i didn't. As soon as it started to fall, the left side slid
downhill, and towards me. pinched! also bent the bar. happens.

View attachment 143685

wow, that's a huge effort pat, thanks!

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
First this.

View attachment 143679

View attachment 143680

View attachment 143682

View attachment 143683

View attachment 143684

View attachment 143685

Thanks Patrick!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
First this.

View attachment 143679

View attachment 143680

View attachment 143682

View attachment 143683

View attachment 143684

View attachment 143685

Awesome job Pat.
I saw it on the Garden State MTB page on FB.

serviceguy

First this.

View attachment 143679

View attachment 143680

View attachment 143682

View attachment 143683

View attachment 143684

View attachment 143685

I know you love to get your wet suit and pull the crap out of those tubes but is it worth doing it over and over? What would be in the way of removing the concrete bridge and replace it with a newer flat or trusses bridge (I still think that a 6 bridges style one would work there) or two. What is the span and how high does the water get (or would get if there was not blockage by the bridge itself )?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I know you love to get your wet suit and pull the crap out of those tubes but is it worth doing it over and over? What would be in the way of removing the concrete bridge and replace it with a newer flat or trusses bridge (I still think that a 6 bridges style one would work there) or two. What is the span and how high does the water get (or would get if there was not blockage by the bridge itself )?

it floods over the bridge and into the area on both sides. as in too much water to flow even if the bridge wasn't there to choke it.
i have a bit of a plan cut out the center 4 tubes, and use the concrete as a footing for a new bridge.
we are messing with it - could also move upstream a bit. it may be considered historically significant.
just toying with ideas. jumping in twice a year isn't too bad.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
it floods over the bridge and into the area on both sides. as in too much water to flow even if the bridge wasn't there to choke it.
i have a bit of a plan cut out the center 4 tubes, and use the concrete as a footing for a new bridge.
we are messing with it - could also move upstream a bit. it may be considered historically significant.
just toying with ideas. jumping in twice a year isn't too bad.
liked for potential use of explosives.

JonF

A few winters ago I wanted to go fat snow biking at 6Mi. Turns out i chose the wrong day as the temps were starting to rise, snow was getting heavy and the river was uncrossable. I had to abort the ride, then went home and lit my fat bike on fire and kicked my own ass for being so stupid.

vlcsnap-2020-11-23-10h49m01s438.png

Over the Bars

That's how it looked last week when I was there I was coming from the other direction so atleast got a few miles under my belt before the bridge stopped me. I contemplated throwing my bike and running and jumping to the side there but realized there was no way I was throwing my bike back onto the concrete bridge to get back. Probably would have ended up in the after anyway 🤣
A few winters ago I wanted to go fat snow biking at 6Mi. Turns out i chose the wrong day as the temps were starting to rise, snow was getting heavy and the river was uncrossable. I had to abort the ride, then went home and lit my fat bike on fire and kicked my own ass for being so stupid.

View attachment 143889

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions