6MR Pop-up TM Concrete Bridge: We are back!

JonF

OK, rtalk, 30' from there is a wooden bridge that is 5? times as long as the concrete section. Why not just build a bridge using the concrete as a foundation? Leave 3' clearance between the concrete and the runners for the wooden bridge to allow for debris. The obvious issue is a large log taking out a support, so use an 8x8 pressure treated for the supports and fasten them to the concrete.
Water level even gets over the bridge on occasion.

IMG_20200603_151616_01~2.jpg

Last edited:

serviceguy

OK, rtalk, 30' from there is a wooden bridge that is 5? times as long as the concrete section. Why not just build a bridge using the concrete as a foundation? Leave 3' clearance between the concrete and the runners for the wooden bridge to allow for debris. The obvious issue is a large log taking out a support, so use an 8x8 pressure treated for the supports and fasten them to the concrete.
Doesn't the concrete bridge span across the entire riverbed? Are you suggesting to remove the end sections of the existing bridge or widening the riverbed? Never you mind, I think you want to built on top of it?

rick81721

Lothar
Doesn't the concrete bridge span across the entire riverbed? Are you suggesting to remove the end sections of the existing bridge or widening the riverbed? Never you mind, I think you want to built on top of it?

that concrete bridge is a piece of crap, don't know why it was built in the first place. someone should dynamite it and put it out of its misery!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

already in the works -

Not sure we could successfully re-deck the whole concrete bridge and have it survive a trunk floating into the structure - even if it was only using timbers on edge to create a level 6" high rise for a new 4' wide boardwalk. No post is going to survive. It just becomes another catch for debris.

More than likely we will go with something that bridges from the concrete to behind the two trees. The trees afford some protection, and it isn't a straight shot for a floating tree trunk. It is higher, and drier in that area.

we do need to get away from the stream bed level concrete path, and the exposed roots.
I think this type of maintenance will have to continue - unless the bridge gets blasted and replaced.

Patrick

Staff member
I agree, I actually don't think that building on top of it would help much. Remove and replace with a longer span wooden bridge...
View attachment 130623

We use truss bridges.
This is a more serious stream than just run-off from a swale.
Because the tubes were not kept clear, the water went around/over and took the bank with it.
Riding while muddy makes it worse, as that dirt gets taken at the next storm. (foreground of @JonF's pic)

1591215812219.png

(ironically, this bridge has been removed and replaced with a flat bridge for NICA course - i think it has railings now)

1591216182301.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
already in the works -

Not sure we could successfully re-deck the whole concrete bridge and have it survive a trunk floating into the structure - even if it was only using timbers on edge to create a level 6" high rise for a new 4' wide boardwalk. No post is going to survive. It just becomes another catch for debris.

More than likely we will go with something that bridges from the concrete to behind the two trees. The trees afford some protection, and it isn't a straight shot for a floating tree trunk. It is higher, and drier in that area.

we do need to get away from the stream bed level concrete path, and the exposed roots.
I think this type of maintenance will have to continue - unless the bridge gets blasted and replaced.
Seems to me like you would like to over engineer a suspension bridge? FWIW, this is only an issue a few times a year..

Patrick

Staff member
Seems to me like you would like to over engineer a suspension bridge? FWIW, this is only an issue a few times a year..

the real solution is bring in a used flat bed rail car that had been taken out of service.....
there i said it.

Patrick

Staff member
Oh - big thanks to @w_b, @jklett, and the group that stopped to help (please id yourself!)

couple hours of work - cleared the debris in front, and inside the tubes. Left the end-clog to prevent the water from streaming around the bridge.

1591217487532.png

1591217539080.png

1591217566875.png

1591217580091.png

In upstream news, Da Beaver was doing his thing, but dropped the tree in the wrong direction across the trail at the red/orange split.

1591217674201.png

Beaver's gunna beave. we cleaned it up.

Then we had trail soda - that was a treat. :D

Last edited:

RobW

Oh - big thanks to @w_b, @jklett, and the group that stopped to help (please id yourself!)

couple hours of work - cleared the debris in front, and inside the tubes. Left the end-clog to prevent the water from streaming around the bridge.

View attachment 130629

View attachment 130630

View attachment 130631
View attachment 130632

In upstream news, Da Beaver was doing his thing, but dropped the tree in the wrong direction across the trail at the red/orange split.

View attachment 130633

Beaver's gunna beave. we cleaned it up.

Then we had trail soda - that was a treat. :D

That beaver was busy last night then... it was pretty close yesterday. I can admire his work, it was a nice selection of wood and display of natural artistic talent..

serviceguy

Is there any plan to remove the concrete? I kind of remember discussing this at some point, with someone, but one way to keep those Pipes clean could be to extend the walls between the pipes further back by different length so that a) the water would accelerate when approaching the bridge b) tree trunk would align e with the water flow before hitting the actual bridge flat and thus get stack. Not a 100% sure it would work, just an idea based on the construction of some real bridge...remember this @Patrick ?
9EB64FF5-620C-420F-AE63-2B4BBA726462.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
^^^ i may have that pic on my camera roll from 100 years ago. will check.

I'd blow that concrete bridge up and move the trail - but it probably isn't an option.
Perhaps a grate to move things up to the surface, making it easier to clear, and not clog the tubes.
This was the worst i've seen it, with the three tubes completely blocked, and logs too large for one person.
Getting in the water a couple times a year is probably the easiest and cheapest solution.

i'll need to visit the downstream clog again soon.
The water wasn't down as much as i expected....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions