6MR Pop-up TM Concrete Bridge: We are back!

Love this - we probably have some people that could do the design too.
not sure we could dig the holes for those timbers! even with the auger bit on a skid steer.
This also looks "accessible" - so might have had some serious funding sources.

Two main problems at our bridge-
- the tubes clogging
- the low area.

If we solve the low area with a bridge (which is my plan) that won't wash away, then when the tubes do get clogged, it should just run over the top of the concrete bridge, rather than being two feet deep and running around it over wobbly rocks that ya can't see!
i've mentally got it planned, along with temporary routing. Gotta keep it low and wide so it doesn't need a railing, which would last 1 storm.

when it really storms, the water comes over the land from behind the tree near the bridge, to the climb - it is quite impressive.
the dirt is soft, we ride it, and it keeps washing away - hence the distance getting longer and longer.

I think @JPark's bluestone is going to be moved to that area once we secure the river bank
"I think @JPark's bluestone is going to be moved to that area once we secure the river bank"

we need a lot of people to help because those stones are HEAVY

not sure we could dig the holes for those timbers! even with the auger bit on a skid steer.

- the tubes clogging
- the low area.

If we solve the low area with a bridge (which is my plan) that won't wash away, then when the tubes do get clogged, it should just run over the top of the concrete bridge, rather than being two feet deep and running around it over wobbly rocks that ya can't see!
i've mentally got it planned, along with temporary routing. Gotta keep it low and wide so it doesn't need a railing, which would last 1 storm.

when it really storms, the water comes over the land from behind the tree near the bridge, to the climb - it is quite impressive.
the dirt is soft, we ride it, and it keeps washing away - hence the distance getting longer and longer.

I think @JPark's bluestone is going to be moved to that area once we secure the river bank
Yeah, I thought it had serious funding too. Just one of the issues with doing something like this. Still, it would be awesome.

- the tubes clogging
- the low area.

What are the plans for securing the banks?

What are the plans for securing the banks?

4x4 posts and pt 5/4 tongue and groove.
Arrange for some draining at the bottom.
The 4x4s would also serve as bridge support. Might be some reshaping of the area also.

Right now very unofficial as we will seek a review. I know a guy at Rencor in Branchburg.

4x4 posts and pt 5/4 tongue and groove.
Arrange for some draining at the bottom.
The 4x4s would also serve as bridge support. Might be some reshaping of the area also.

Right now very unofficial as we will seek a review. I know a guy at Rencor in Branchburg.
You mean like a crib wall?
Screenshot_20230919-123302.png
Some other good options here but riprap probably best solution

I would hope you would get approvals for this - once you start pouring concrete in a running stream bed as well as kicking up sediment for areas down water you have awakened the beast known as the NJDEP.

Not to mention controlling water flow.

While a fun project I am sure - these are the type of things that become cannon fodder for the community if not handled properly.

During my tenure in landscape design and watershed restoration I would have to go to war in some areas (legally) just to retain customers slope/shoreline.

I would hope you would get approvals for this - once you start pouring concrete in a running stream bed as well as kicking up sediment for areas down water you have awakened the beast known as the NJDEP.

Not to mention controlling water flow.

While a fun project I am sure - these are the type of things that become cannon fodder for the community if not handled properly.

During my tenure in landscape design and watershed restoration I would have to go to war in some areas (legally) just to retain customers slope/shoreline.

No concrete. Just wood.

No concrete. Just wood.
Still - most pressure treated woods are not allowed to be placed in “wetland areas”. This includes telephone poles, landscape and railroad ties.

My best advice for something like this is not to post about it until all the approvals, funding and logistics are in place - how would other park managers feel if we all start building man made structures in bodies of water in the park?

Is this being done in the Name/Funding of JORBA? MTBNJ or is it @jdog shop?

Having been at Township meetings for projects similar to this but related to properties I managed - this is questionable. Kind of reminds me of the guy that wanted to drive a machine into a body of water a few years ago and work on bridges - but thankfully those posts might have disappeared.

Still - most pressure treated woods are not allowed to be placed in “wetland areas”. This includes telephone poles, landscape and railroad ties.

My best advice for something like this is not to post about it until all the approvals, funding and logistics are in place - how would other park managers feel if we all start building man made structures in bodies of water in the park?

Is this being done in the Name/Funding of JORBA? MTBNJ or is it @jdog shop?

Having been at Township meetings for projects similar to this but related to properties I managed - this is questionable. Kind of reminds me of the guy that wanted to drive a machine into a body of water a few years ago and work on bridges - but thankfully those posts might have disappeared.

Noted

Anyone know if that stump was removed from the concrete bridge tube?

Anyone know if that stump was removed from the concrete bridge tube?
When I passed by yesterday, there was a lot of debris up against the bridge and the Run was going around the east end stone jumble ramp so that there was about 2 ft of water to cross at the far end. I didn't look into the tubes but it may not have been visible anyway.

Heading over around noon for a little swimming.
Do I need my waders? or will the muck boots suffice?
I planned on taking care of the logs tomorrow. Was hoping my waders don't leak. Let me know if there is anything left to take care of there.

Last edited:
Stupid, non-engineer, layperson question; would it make sense to put some sort of interspersed arresting feature further upstream? Like some significantly spaced out boulders/rocks like you have on the shore line there? That way the trees hit that and get hung up here and there as opposed to clogging the drain so to speak.

Stupid, non-engineer, layperson question; would it make sense to put some sort of interspersed arresting feature further upstream? Like some significantly spaced out boulders/rocks like you have on the shore line there? That way the trees hit that and get hung up here and there as opposed to clogging the drain so to speak.

it would eventually break and the whole thing would be leaning against the bridge.

A couple hours a couple times a year doesn't seem onerous - if there was a solution, other than a suspension bridge, i'd def go for it.
Maybe a train car bridge?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions