2023 garden thread

And a day late - we thinned one of our peach trees before we left for the long weekend.
Got back to a broken branch. I have never seen so many peaches.
NJ used to be the peach capital - and this is why.

Branch broke :(

IMG_4925.jpeg

Because ...
i have never seen anything like this.

IMG_4927.jpeg
IMG_4926.jpeg

Picked one that had a little bit of soft to it. It was awesome.

IMG_4929.jpeg

The blueberries are still rocking, then walked over to my property edge, where I "assist" the wineberries.
They are coming in early ????

IMG_4930.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally starting to see some figs. View attachment 217359
The tree is massive, but there's only a couple branches with figs starting. What can I do to increase it?
View attachment 217360
Pinching the tips in the beginning of June works awesome for me. My trees are loaded.
You may still have time but your crop will be late. DO IT NOW!
They say to pinch after the branch develops 5-6 leaves.

Last edited:
IMG_6857.jpeg
My freak persimmon tree has fruit this year, I multi-grafted it last year.
American male rootstock, American and Asian female grafts. :)
IMG_6883.jpeg
Some large Pawpaw clusters this year!
IMG_6882.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg
Anyone ever see a fig growing out of a fig?! 😂

On my 3rd batch of zucchini muffins (3 dozen) from same zucchini. Probably get another batch out of it...

I have 4 more zucchini on the counter. Good thing I can freeze the muffins.

Moving forward any more harvested this week will go to the local food pantry.

Second year for the persimmon cultivar. It has set seven fruits!

IMG_4935.jpeg

Only one problem. The tree isn't large enough to carry fruit without breaking. I'll probably trim it down to two on the interior of the branch and support it. Then need squirrel repellent.
IMG_4936.jpeg

Last edited:
Second year for the persimmon cultivar. It has set seven fruits!

View attachment 217510

Only one problem. The tree isn't large enough to carry fruit without breaking. Il probably trim it down to two on the interior of the branch and support it. Then need squirrel repellent.
View attachment 217512
Nice. Is that an American persimmon or Asian?
Which cultivar?
I have Meader (American) and I suspect “Great Wall” (Asian) but it’s speculation as it was donated scion wood. :)
Mine are all astringent varieties.

Nice. Is that an American persimmon or Asian?
Which cultivar?
I have Meader (American) and I suspect “Great Wall” (Asian) but it’s speculation as it was donated scion wood. :)
Mine are all astringent varieties.

We got it from Dr Pawpaw. Hell if I remember! Let you know in December.

We got it from Dr Pawpaw. Hell if I remember! Let you know in December.
Details! I hope you saved the tag!
It must be an American persimmon then. Probably Prok, Yates or Meader. Especially since you have fruit and no male tree…
When it gets bigger and you need to prune, hook me up with some wood yo. 🙂

Details! I hope you saved the tag!
It must be an American persimmon then. Probably Prok, Yates or Meader. Especially since you have fruit and no male tree…
When it gets bigger and you need to prune, hook me up with some wood yo. 🙂

@MadisonDan help me out here

View attachment 217422
My freak persimmon tree has fruit this year, I multi-grafted it last year.
American male rootstock, American and Asian female grafts. :)
View attachment 217421
Some large Pawpaw clusters this year!
View attachment 217420

View attachment 217419
Anyone ever see a fig growing out of a fig?! 😂
Fig^2 (square) ?

Sad to report the paw paw saplings that you gave me are officially dead.

I'm so gutted for wasting your much appreciated gift, but unfortunately my gardener had some health issues and we let the whole yard go its own way and left the saplings in their pots, watering them regularly did not make the trick, I should have transplanted them as soon as you gave them to me.

She's back on the job and she's tried hard to nurse them back to life but to no avail.

I will approach the neighbor for some small plants, he's got plenty and I don't believe he even knows what they are, matter of fact he chopped down a bunch of them to clear the way to his water main valve...weird guy too, drives around with 3 noisy dogs that always bark at Bailey...

No fruits yet on the Ringwood patch in the park, I'll check again during the weekend...

Fig^2 (square) ?

Sad to report the paw paw saplings that you gave me are officially dead.

I'm so gutted for wasting your much appreciated gift, but unfortunately my gardener had some health issues and we let the whole yard go its own way and left the saplings in their pots, watering them regularly did not make the trick, I should have transplanted them as soon as you gave them to me.

She's back on the job and she's tried hard to nurse them back to life but to no avail.

I will approach the neighbor for some small plants, he's got plenty and I don't believe he even knows what they are, matter of fact he chopped down a bunch of them to clear the way to his water main valve...weird guy too, drives around with 3 noisy dogs that always bark at Bailey...

No fruits yet on the Ringwood patch in the park, I'll check again during the weekend...
So they really are dead sticks now? 😂
It was a weird winter, I lost a lot of seedlings as well even though it wasn’t really that cold. Maybe too dry? I don’t water anything but the potted figs in the winter.

The Ringwood patch would have fruit already if it was going to have any. It may be high up though because those trees are pretty tall.

If your neighbor has lots of little trees around the big ones, they are root suckers (clones) you can dig them but it’s best to sever them from the mama tree this year, then transplant them where you want them in late winter before they leaf out. I’ve had pretty good luck with that timeline. If you transplant them after they wake up, they usually die.
😏

Back
Top Bottom