2023 garden thread

Bought those bright yellow ones from a farmers market last week, very good. Do you know what's the variety?
I have two varieties of yellow summer squash this year. The ones with the smooth skin are "Butterstick" (Burpee) and the bumpy ones are "Early Prolific Straightneck Squash". Both very good. I've seen some of the Buttersticks with a greenish hue when they get bigger. Like the one in the photo below that I got just before it got too big.

IMG_9564.jpg

Update from a garden slave.

First red bell peppers last Saturday
IMG_9580.jpg

Been growing these mini "Picolino" cukes behind some insect netting (Gynoecious and parthenocarpic, so don't need pollinators). Good for snacking!
IMG_9581.jpg

Tried growing Anaheim peppers (milder than jalapeño). We turned them into southwest style stuffed peppers. Very good but not hot enough.
IMG_9582.jpg
IMG_9586.jpg

Picked the first Spaghetti squash that appeared ripe. Baked and spaghetified. Taste great so they were ripe enuf.
IMG_9585.jpg
IMG_9611.jpg

From today, picked a bunch of different stuff. Black Beauty eggplant will be ready soon. Picked about three pounds of blackberries. I've been giving away a lot of zuchs, cukes and blackberries.

IMG_9693.jpgIMG_9690.jpg
IMG_9688.jpg

Also, picked the last of the blueberries (got about half a pint container).

Update from a garden slave.

First red bell peppers last Saturday
View attachment 220225

Been growing these mini "Picolino" cukes behind some insect netting (Gynoecious and parthenocarpic, so don't need pollinators). Good for snacking!
View attachment 220226

Tried growing Anaheim peppers (milder than jalapeño). We turned them into southwest style stuffed peppers. Very good but not hot enough.
View attachment 220227
View attachment 220228

Picked the first Spaghetti squash that appeared ripe. Baked and spaghetified. Taste great so they were ripe enuf.
View attachment 220229
View attachment 220230

From today, picked a bunch of different stuff. Black Beauty eggplant will be ready soon. Picked about three pounds of blackberries. I've been giving away a lot of zuchs, cukes and blackberries.

View attachment 220232View attachment 220231
View attachment 220233

Also, picked the last of the blueberries (got about half a pint container).
I'm always impressed by your weedless gardens. See lots of mulch, but are you weeding much

I'm always impressed by your weedless gardens. See lots of mulch, but are you weeding much
I put new mulch between the boxes this year, so less weeds there (but lots last year). Just went out to start weeding in the boxes today. No mulch there. Haven't done it in a month and the weeds don't stop, especially this year.

BTW, those pears look fantastic!

After doing some weeding today, I was instructed to get some beets and sprouts for roasting. Luckily, I had some in stock.
IMG_9696.jpg
IMG_9697.jpg
IMG_9698.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom