2013/2014 XC Ski Thread

Any thoughts on where to find good conditions today? We got some rain on top of the snow in Bridgewater, so could be ugly here.

woody, i am probably going to head to mahlon later...that place always seem to have good snow. gotta clear snow at my house and moms house first so not sure what time i'll be able to ski. text me if u want to go up later, thinking 11ish?

Got out on one of the Patriot's Path trails on Friday to break in the new boots and check out conditions. A little thin, but still workable. Hoping that things improve a bit during the week compared to today's ice-over-snow combination.

For groomers, Mohonk and Minniwaska in the Gunks have about 10" and have groomed for classic and skate. Mohonk is offering a promotional week, which means no entrance fee and Minniwaska is always affordable at $6.
More snow is coming Tuesday, I plan to head to one of these places Thursday to skate ski.

Also, High Point in NJ is also open with a 3" base.

Last edited:
did anyone get up to Harriman and try out the trails? Some good stuff out of Sabago Lake Parking Lot, curious how conditions are?

XC Ski Outing planned for anyone interested. Woody and I plan on heading out this afternoon on the skis. If conditions are crap we plan on doing a hike. Join in the fun if you are looking for under 2hrs of outdoor recreation, all are welcome :D

Time; 4:30
Place; Watchung Reservation, Seeley's Pond Parking lot.

This is the year I get serious with XC skiing!

XC Ski Outing planned for anyone interested. Woody and I plan on heading out this afternoon on the skis. If conditions are crap we plan on doing a hike. Join in the fun if you are looking for under 2hrs of outdoor recreation, all are welcome :D

Just not today:

BCA9DE30-D676-4F8A-8A53-308FB3AA0591-1313-000004AE13ED568F_zps13d0c572.jpg

On the upside getting some serious hikes/climbs in, my legs are toast...

Have fun, let's hope for a snowy winter. :) :) :) :)

Warren

I'll add:

Social pace, coed friendly. (At least one woman already on board.)

And don't forget your headlamp! (I've got one for you Igg.)

Woody got stuck at work so I went solo over at galloping hill gc. Was amazed at how good the conditions where, best so far this year. Firm snow with enough fresh on top to keep control. Night sky was bright, no illumination needed.

Enough snow on top of crusty layer to ski at a golf course (grass) today in Bergen County. I have not ventured up to Harriman, but I am thinking there may not be enough cover for rocky ski trails, unless there is more 10 miles north.

Anybody know if Mahlon is still good? I was there on Sunday but haven't been able to get back since.

Back
Top Bottom