20-21 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our tentative plan is spending our travel money on local season passes instead, weather depending. My daughter is a rank beginner so it really doesn’t matter so much, and I’m just happy to be out. See how it goes.

The only thing that will really shift a resort down is a state lockdown, or a localized outbreak. Don’t really see either scenario happening in VT.
They did shut down in mid March because of the virus and they still had decent snow cover.

Hopefully this issue will all be moot after the election results.🤪

Reactions: don
They did shut down in mid March because of the virus and they still had decent snow cover.

Hopefully this issue will all be moot after the election results.🤪
Everyone shut down in March though, so VT followed suit. Then they got slammed with the best snows of the season. This election will be like Ground Hogs Day. If Biden wins, the virus will go away, if Trump wins, 6 more months of virus. Either way, VT got hit hard when they shut down in March, not just the resort, but many locals who's livelihoods depend on the winter season. For example, I'm good friends with the guy who runs the bar at the base lodge (not just because I'm an alcoholic, but I fish with him). Bar tending has been his winter gig for the last 25yrs, and the shutdown took a 2months of that away. The guys at the bike shop work in the ski shops or man the guns at the mountain as their winter gigs. Between the capacity limits, social distancing measures, etc., I hope that nothing gets shut down.

The purpose of the questionnaire is to shift liability from the resort to the individual. No one will follow up to see if you were telling the truth or not. The only thing that will really shift a resort down is a state lockdown, or a localized outbreak. Don’t really see either scenario happening in VT.
With Vail and Alterra owning or running the majority of the resorts these days you only need them to shut down to screw the season. Despite any restrictions in March once Vail decided to shut down all their resorts, everyone else followed.

Reactions: don
Glad Killington went this way. I was close to bailing on my pass. ( had to November 20th to get refund ). Now I will play the wait and see game.

Attachments

• FCF5BDD5-6600-4AB3-B060-9A8B72201641.jpeg
    FCF5BDD5-6600-4AB3-B060-9A8B72201641.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8
PA just upped restrictions so no day trips to the Poconos to ski. Need to quarantine for 14 days or have a negative test.

Glad Killington went this way. I was close to bailing on my pass. ( had to November 20th to get refund ). Now I will play the wait and see game.
I'm contemplating bailing on my $1500 worth of K-tickets. If they would just change the expiration to April 2022, I'd keep them.

Won't present revenue help them survive?

so the next question has to be when do you make the leap from Zero-Use to let's head up and pray we can keep going the rest of the year.

Ugh.

Season is not looking good. PA just increased travel restrictions so no day trips to PA allowed without a negative test. VT did the same a while ago, Once Cuomo shuts down NY, my season is done.

Season is not looking good. PA just increased travel restrictions so no day trips to PA allowed without a negative test. VT did the same a while ago, Once Cuomo shuts down NY, my season is done.
Thanks. Do you have links to those announcements? I’ve checked a few PA ski area websites and they don’t mention a requirement for a negative test (though they do have all sorts of other precautions and requirements in effect).

Edit: just found the PA state mandate. But I suspect it’s too fresh for the ski websites to update their own policies. Wonder if this means we have to bring proof of a test when buying a ticket. Probably.

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you have links to those announcements? I’ve checked a few PA ski area websites and they don’t mention a requirement for a negative test (though they do have all sorts of other precautions and requirements in effect).
Just announced yesterday.

wow, I don't ski in PA, but have been there twice in the last month to ride. Seems almost unenforceable.
Most of these are unenforceable. But if you're attempting to follow the rules, skiing is gonna be tough this year.

Killington will be opening on Friday Nov. 20th for season pass and Ikon pass holders only. Of course there is the whole quarantine thing as well as parking reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom