'08/'09 season thread or something.

Glancing Aft

By request I'm starting a new thread for the 08/09 Snow season. I know it's only august but this is usually the time of year I start planning out my winter trips. Anyone else have anything in the works?

Right now I have three tentative trips being planned.

- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: probably a week in January

- Jay Peak, Vermont: hopefully a few midweek days in February or March

- Mammoth, California: Over Easter Break for some spring jump hitting.

crash_in_nj

I'll probably do a long weekend in VT this year, maybe a week if I'm lucky. I'd love to go out west, but I don't think my finances will alllow it.

What is everybody doing to prepare themselves for ski season? I don't get out enough on my bike for that to be enough. Lately I've started running again. I'm still doing short, slow runs, but it shouldn't be too long before I start picking it up. I'm also getting back to the gym. I do a circuit with a lot of core strength and I have a bosu and an exercise ball that I use for balance. Is anyone else doing anything specific to get thenselves ready?

Eileen

I'm hoping for a few weekends to Belleayre or Stratton and hopefully a week in Tremblant. Otherwise I'll be at Creek during the week.

Gerilynn

I'll probably do a long weekend in VT this year, maybe a week if I'm lucky. I'd love to go out west, but I don't think my finances will alllow it.

What is everybody doing to prepare themselves for ski season? I don't get out enough on my bike for that to be enough. Lately I've started running again. I'm still doing short, slow runs, but it shouldn't be too long before I start picking it up. I'm also getting back to the gym. I do a circuit with a lot of core strength and I have a bosu and an exercise ball that I use for balance. Is anyone else doing anything specific to get thenselves ready?

Around September I start to do circuit training and core with the bosu and exercise ball about twice a week at the gym. I also will continue to bike frequently and run right up to the start of ski season. I usually do a trip out West in early January, so once the local mountains open I try to get as many days on snow as possible. I did this last year and my legs felt really good by the time of my trip to Whistler in January and for the entire season!

Gerilynn

By request I'm starting a new thread for the 08/09 Snow season. I know it's only august but this is usually the time of year I start planning out my winter trips. Anyone else have anything in the works?

Right now I have three tentative trips being planned.

- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: probably a week in January

- Jay Peak, Vermont: hopefully a few midweek days in February or March

- Mammoth, California: Over Easter Break for some spring jump hitting.

Big Sky????

Glancing Aft

I generally drink lots of beer, that way I'll have a higher tolarance by the time I get to the high altitudes :) :rofl: I find the exercise ball really good, as well as doing about 5 min of inplace mogul hops (jumping side to side in place) during my workout.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
im not totally sure whats gonig on for me this winter, i know im going out west, but still have to plan it. a friend just recently moved to durango, CO, so i might go out there, shes near telluride and silverton ....yeah i think i might try silverton =]

also ill probably take a trip to VT. i really like jay peak. best snow on the east coast, and last year i finally did the face chutes, and they were awesome.

having a real job is nice, i can finally afford to go places

crash_in_nj

I generally drink lots of beer, that way I'll have a higher tolarance by the time I get to the high altitudes :) :rofl: I find the exercise ball really good, as well as doing about 5 min of inplace mogul hops (jumping side to side in place) during my workout.

Do you ever combine those workouts? That could be entertaining:)

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm going to try to get some time in at bellayre and maybe... maybe a day in VT. sunday is the only day i can go.

i just finished off PT on my left knee, so i can hike/run again, so i am tempted to train for doing tuckerman's ravine in the spring... but that all depends if i can get the time in to train for it... and i can hardly get out on the bike as it is.

dmc123

My current plan for skiing out west this year is to try Steamboat for the first time. I love tree skiing and it's supposed to be awesome for that. Anyone been there?

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gore Mt & Whiteface every other week or for big dumps.
hopefully Snowbird in April again.
I own skis, but my 4 yo thinks there NOT cool. He wants a Burton LTR for his 5th b-day. I do have room full of snowbaords and big jump next to barn in the ADKS.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My current plan for skiing out west this year is to try Steamboat for the first time. I love tree skiing and it's supposed to be awesome for that. Anyone been there?

Been 9 times. 2nd home. Much MUCH hidden jems. Flatter than many spots but true blower snow.

dmc123

Awesome, when the time gets closer to plan the trip I will have to consult you on the best places to stay and go. Probably not planning the trip for a few months. Whats the best month to go?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Awesome, when the time gets closer to plan the trip I will have to consult you on the best places to stay and go. Probably not planning the trip for a few months. Whats the best month to go?

You can go on their website an see the hisrotical snowfall totals.

I kid you not that this place is a ghost town non peak season. I have seen tit deep snow a week after a big snow. The locals barely even ski if there is less than a foot. I have been out on a claimed 8" day that was waist deep.

I would wait till the snowfall reachs at least 100" base. It actually takes 100 inches to make this palce come alive.

2 years ago they had 100" by x-mas i think.

I am not sure when I am going but I have had so much fun there on a split board.

You can get yourself very lost and very dead in 150" of snow. So outta bounds is mega fun but a no-go solo.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i was at steamboat not this past season, but the season before jdog was talking about during xmas. it was amazing. i did some out of bounds stuff there that was just incredible... and man did we have excellent conditions.

if you like tree skiing you will love steamboat. for inbounds stuff - hit closet and shadows if the snow is good. for out of bounds - talk to some of the locals. i joined up with my waiter from the night before and he took me on some awesome backcountry lines.

i went to steamboat because it has (on average) the earliest season snows.

Top Bottom