What are you cooking right now?

Ribs on a tuesday? Why the hell not, i got 6 hrs to spare mid-day! Hooray for the new normal. Anyways, with the weather becoming more spring-like, i've had a hankering for some ribs and finally scored some baby backs at Costco (they were plum out during the initial rush on everything) so i tossed a rack on the smoker for din-din. I like to do a modified 321 cook and do it 4-1-1 to get a little more chew. Translated, that means 4 hours smoking at 225, then 1 hour wrapped in foil to braise and further tenderize, then 1 hour with foil removed again in the smoker to set the bark and carmelize a basting or bbq sauce. 321 (more braise, less smoke) makes them taste a little too braised and too fall-off-the-bone for me. I prefer the meat tender, but still adheres to the bone when i take a bite.

Fresh out the smoker
IMG_20200331_193111.jpg

That smoke ring!
IMG_20200331_193808.jpg

Our sous vide has an app that you enter the thickness and how you want it - so we like ours medium. It was 1 hour at 129 degrees. Then sear both sides.

View attachment 123837

iv been trying to talk my wife into buying one, got a link to the one you have? that sounds like a helpfull feature for starting out with it.

tonight was healthy night: bulgur salad with tomatoes, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, onions, tofu (ok, something had to give, stir-fried until crispy then a bit of Mirin for brownie points), whatever fresh herbs I found in the fridge (cilantro & oregano I think)

the veggies & the tofu
20200401_193345.jpg

after I mixed in the bulgur
20200401_193702.jpg

integrated unit.

View attachment 123922
Seems big enough for the usual items, no?

Not sure i'm sold on SV for larger cuts like roasts, the cook Time needed is absurdly high. In SV cooking, time spent in the temperature "danger zone" during the cook is rather long--much longer than other forms of cooking and you dont have a higher temp heat environment to isolate it. Though you do have a water bath and plastic membrane as a barrier... Still i haven't seen any discussion of that aspect yet so im still wary. I couldnt imagine doing a 36 hour pork butt or something huge like that!

One of the major reasons we got the SV was to cook larger meats. My husband was turned onto the SV from a guy who did a brisket then smoked it. My husband did it too. I think it cooked for 18 hours but like a crockpot, set it and forget it. Then smoked it for a few hours. I've also done a turkey breast. I hate cooking meat otherwise and feel this is the best way for me not to destroy a good piece of meat.

We did buy the bin with top for our SV. We originally used a lobster pot, which worked but the big container is easier to deal with. Plus we store all the equipment in it when not in use.

Seems big enough for the usual items, no?

Not sure i'm sold on SV for larger cuts like roasts, the cook Time needed is absurdly high. In SV cooking, time spent in the temperature "danger zone" during the cook is rather long--much longer than other forms of cooking and you dont have a higher temp heat environment to isolate it. Though you do have a water bath and plastic membrane as a barrier... Still i haven't seen any discussion of that aspect yet so im still wary. I couldnt imagine doing a 36 hour pork butt or something huge like that!

certainly is big enough for the three of us.

it's just different - i wouldn't do a shoulder - just got a new smoker for that. I could try a brisket tho,
then hitting the grill with the smoke box for a bit.

i vac seal things before putting them in - exposure is always at a minimum - haven't tried chicken yet either.
but i did do a turkey breast - brined it first.

my wife is the grill master, she is from missouri, so i think it was part of the curriculum. i'll take the italian kitchen in the basement method...:D

Back
Top Bottom