Kingdom Trails trail closures

http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/rooms--suites.html

Sleepy Hollow, Hinesburg Town Forest, Carse Hill, Richmond Trails... These trails keep developing every year. Plus 20 minutes from Burlington. 15 minutes to Catamount, Saxon and Mobbs Farm. If you want to throw in a road ride... Some of the best climbs in the NE right there.

I am a former Hinesburger.
Hmm. I did not know about this place. Looks cool. Since you must rent the whole joint; that could rule out solo exploration or small groups. Do you know if they have day passes? You just wanted to say that you were Hinesburger, admit it ? Although, that might not be as good as being a Cheeseburger. I could not resist. Sorry. I should probably be kicked off the board now or at least banned.

It's extremely popular because it appeals to a wide range of mtbers. The trails are not technical, it has one rock. What it does have is the best flow, and the ability to get air if you choose to do so. You can go as fast as you want or just cruise, beginners, families, Enduro dudes all love it.
Which trail had the rock? lol (not counting Dead Moose Alley). Kidding aside, KTA has been a mainstay for many years of my mtb trips, it'd be a shame to not going back there. Losing the 3T's and Pines cuts a huge swath out of the loop. How do you get from Pound Cake to Side Winder without taking the road? How do you get from the Chapel to Kitchel without road? Worst possible combo of trail closures. Hopefully it is not a domino effect of land owners.

Yeah, but there's still a ton of trails up there. And yeah, Moose Haven. We've never even made it to Victory Hill. I'm always down for trips to other places, but I think KT is still gonna be pretty tough to beat.
Go to Brevard, NC for Pisgah and Dupont trails - awesome riding there. Also on my bucket list is Bentonville, AR. Went to college a few miles south of there, well before mtb was a thing. Sam Walton's (Walmart) kids bought/built/developed the trails - avid mtb-ers. Side note- Bentonville is in a dry county, BUT, Fayetteville, just south and home to U of A, is definitely not.

There are a few rocks on Pines. Including the one interesting section where you have to traverse a janky, off camber rock or slide into a mud puddle.

But yeah... For the most part, KT is more roots than rocks. At least compared to what we're used to in NNJ or PA. Odd since most of VT is really rocky.

http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/rooms--suites.html

Sleepy Hollow, Hinesburg Town Forest, Carse Hill, Richmond Trails... These trails keep developing every year. Plus 20 minutes from Burlington. 15 minutes to Catamount, Saxon and Mobbs Farm. If you want to throw in a road ride... Some of the best climbs in the NE right there.

I am a former Hinesburger.
These trails are awesome! but they arent exactly beginner friendly like KT is. At least not the ones I rode.

From what I've seen, Bentonville looks like the closest to KT when it comes to a "destination trail system" that can accommodate all levels of riding, although looking at trail maps, I'm not sure there are as concentrated around the town like KT - where if you really want to, you can just park in the middle of town and ride all day with minimal road transfers.

The northeast kingdom is really one of the most beautiful spots there is, idyllic New England. There is no replacement for kingdom. But I did ride the Harrisonburg Shenandoah area this summer, and it’s a legit destination that’s actually a little closer than kingdom. I barely scratched the surface and really liked what I saw.
While it's possible, the property for sale isn't within one of the red closure zones on the map. When you enter the address on Google maps, it's across the street from the VT Children's Theater.
Yeah, looks like a different property. I saw 250 acres and figured it added up.

Interesting listing price history.
Not typical to jack up the price after its been on the market for a year and a half.
And they are estimating a tax rate on assessed value of 1.73
From what I've seen, Bentonville looks like the closest to KT when it comes to a "destination trail system" that can accommodate all levels of riding, although looking at trail maps, I'm not sure there are as concentrated around the town like KT - where if you really want to, you can just park in the middle of town and ride all day with minimal road transfers.
well Bentonville is hands down THE destination in the US right now. That 20 hours drive though ?

Not trying to derail the OP - yes, it stinks that this is happening and hopefully not a glimpse of what lies ahead for us for other spots.

I know Bentonville isn't as "close" to KT as people would like to travel - however, there are direct flights there. I spent a few days in Bentonville with a few others on the forum - who will all argue that you can ride to all the trailheads (there are three major ones) in B-ville from town. We stayed in an Air BnB across from trails and did not have a car. There are a few other really awesome riding spots within an hour or so driving distance. As for drinking in B-Ville - there are a few breweries and a whiskey bar.

There are LOTS of other places to ride in VT. No, the trail network may not be as extensive as KT, but the terrain and length of the trails are there. You can get the same duration of descending, in some cases more, along with the more tech and some flow elsewhere. Those Canadians that come down in their awesome converted sprinter vans usually do a tour of the state, they don’t just stay at Kingdom. Only caveat now is the locals are starting to get a little cagey about where their favorite trails are given some of the closures.

If I’m spending money on a ticket and flying somewhere, I’m either going to Moab or BC.

You can get the same duration of descending, in some cases more, along with the more tech and some flow elsewhere.
Yes, there are more trails elsewhere in VT, I've ridden them. The thing that makes KT so appealing is that it allows a group of people with various riding abilities to go away together and ride trails. The flow is what makes it fun for all, no where else within a days drive of NJ has Kingdom flow. Bentonville sounds fun but that's 20 hrs away.

Hmm. I did not know about this place. Looks cool. Since you must rent the whole joint; that could rule out solo exploration or small groups. Do you know if they have day passes? You just wanted to say that you were Hinesburger, admit it ? Although, that might not be as good as being a Cheeseburger. I could not resist. Sorry. I should probably be kicked off the board now or at least banned.

You can rent just a room or rooms. As Utah said the trails are not exactly beginner level though, they have been making Sleepy Hollow much more KT like. Added a bunch of flow trails in the last 2 years. The three trail systems are easily connected and I heard that they will shuttle back from Carse Hill to Sleepy hollow. So you could ride all three and get a ride back. My dad lives 3 miles from the HTF trail head. There are some good cheeseburgers in the area as well as some great brews - coming from a Hinesburger.

KTA (the association) messed up. The owners said GTFO and that's that. A quick google search on all three names shows they don't care about mountain biking, money and or the need for a ton of wahoo's on their land. Even though said wahoo's are us and want to enjoy ourselves riding our bikes and potentially on a vacation. None of us need a lecture when grabbing a pass but it would be smart if those kiosk workes said, hey friendly reminder your on donated land.
I blame the KTA for not being more accomodating or having more open line of communication with these folks whose land we so cherish. Norm is right, the accessibility and flow is ruined. I won't be headed back unless it becomes more expansive again. Norm also mentioned the gentlemen who donated Moose Haven was glorified and maybe those land owners did not want the publicity, but something should have been done for them.

Texted my buddy who lives nearby burke:

"Rumor: a mtb rider told off some horse riders who were legally riding double track on their horses. The mtb people probably told them to get the fuck off the trails or some shit..

The horse riders are the land owners..."

Sorry but if I were told to F**k Off by someone while riding my horse on my land I would just put a fence around the property and be done with it. Or a machine gun nest. Or both.
KTA.JPG

I blame the KTA for not being more accomodating or having more open line of communication with these folks whose land we so cherish.
Really? This was a time bomb with the amount of mtbers increasing every year. How do you control a mob on that many acres of private land? If you want to blame the KTA, I'd say they are at fault for making a trail system too good on private land.

Everyone is bitching now, but give it time. With better land planning, layout, design, parking Kingdom will be back bigger then before. They know how to build trails, now they just have to have a better plan to not piss off the locals.

Back
Top Bottom