NYPD cop debadged for assaulting cyclist...

walter

Fourth Party
THE COP WAS TWO VERY LONG PACES AWAY FROM ANY "IMMINENT" COLLISION - AND PURPOSEFULLY PICKED UP THE PACE AND STRIDE TO HIT THIS GUY! You can see that the biker stopped pedaling to steer clear of the cop's path and give him plenty of room. Upon further review, it is unanimous in my office that the cop fixated on this rider and timed his approach to take him out. NO DOUBT!

The cop did not react to a hit that was imminent except at his own doing. And the previous riders were steering well clear of the cops.

Are all those caps directed at me? If they are please re-read my post, I am saying exactly the same thing you are. My using of the word imminent was in response to Biknben's theory that a collision was unavoidable. Perhaps I wasnt clear but the "imminent" collision occurred when Flatfoot decided he was in the right to smash this guy. I am not saying the officer and cyclist were destined to collide, the cop chose that himself.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
THE COP WAS TWO VERY LONG PACES AWAY FROM ANY "IMMINENT" COLLISION - AND PURPOSEFULLY PICKED UP THE PACE AND STRIDE TO HIT THIS GUY! You can see that the biker stopped pedaling to steer clear of the cop's path and give him plenty of room. Upon further review, it is unanimous in my office that the cop fixated on this rider and timed his approach to take him out. NO DOUBT!

The cop did not react to a hit that was imminent except at his own doing. And the previous riders were steering well clear of the cops.

You go ahead and relax, or you'll find yourself on the wrong end of a proverbial Message Board Ejection collision. If you can't control yelling at people we ask that you don't post at all.

MST.ESQ

not yelling - just not very hip when it comes to internet/message board protocol...

Walter: I agree with you - but was not responding to your post - we typed our posts at the same time - you just hit submit before me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okee dokey. Online, all caps = yelling.

"I'm having problems controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!" -A.P.

walter

Fourth Party
not yelling - just not very hip when it comes to internet/message board protocol...

Walter: I agree with you - but was not responding to your post - we typed our posts at the same time - you just hit submit before me.

OK then, I will put my MST.ESQ voodoo doll away:D

keithsly

I heard on the Radio today that the Police Commissioner is standing behind this guy saying he was protecting the public from an out of control cyclist !! The mayor on the other hand said lets see how it plays out be he does feel the officer may have been overzealous in his job !!

He'll get suspended and then no one will ever talk about it again. I mean crap you have people who run over cyclists in florida killing them and they get careless driving tickets ?? The officers that shot and killed Shawn Bell what happened to them ?? Nothing ....... So don't expect much because on the scale of things a guy got knocked off his bike during a critical mass what happened to him a couple cuts and a lawyer ....

Jump ahead an out of court settlement with the city for damages !! Hell of alot better then Shawn Bell ?? or some poor schmuck in florida out for a sunday morning ride when grandpa reaches down to put out his smoke and drifts accross the white line ??

Just a realist ..... not an idealist !! Sorry:hmmm:

Madness

Well, to be fair, he did falsify the police report to make it sound like he was assaulted which created a serious enough issue that they'd take his badge and assign him to a desk. You don't do that in the event of an "accidental" collision.

It's pretty obvious that he was choosing the rider he was going to take down, and he specifically chose a tall male rather than the smaller women who rode by before, because knocking over a small woman would be an even bigger PR disaster.

I'm friends with several NYPD officers who are active mountain bikers, and this event in no way reflects on them or the way they do their job. Saying all cops are dicks is like hikers saying that all mountain bikers are assholes... there are bad apples in every bunch, and judging the whole by the actions of a few is a bad precedent...

I am in no way saying that all NYPD cops are dicks at all. I was just saying that what this partictular cop did was a dick move making him and only him a dick. I have alot of respect for the boys in blue cause they have to deal with way more bullsh*t then we will every encounter on a daily basis. I have by far had my fair share of run ins with the law in my younger dumber days, and each time I was clearly in the wrong and deserved whatever punishment I recieved. They were just doing their jobs and I was just being an asshole kid.

I have a friend that is a cop in my town that is an avid mt. biker and I think he is a real dick because he beats me to death whenever we ride together......:D

I am not trying to cause any termoil with my statement. I just wanted to reinerate that I was only voicing my oponion about this one partictular cop and not cops as a whole.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
wow, finally watched the video, far worse than i expected. i heard this is going to be in the next bodycount video

JeffSpicoli

That vid looked like it came out of a football practice...Full On body check. I know quite a few NYPD officers. Some are upstanding public servants others are dicks. That rookie cop is without a doubt, a dick. :mad:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Okee dokey. Online, all caps = yelling.

"I'm having problems controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!" -A.P.

WTF NORM, IS THAT A NEW RULE? YOU SHOULD MEET MY FRIEND DH-DAD, HE'S A REAL INTERNET BUTT HOLE.
just kidding

BiknBen

I still don't think the officer singled out that specific cyclist. The two officers were looking up the road at a large group of cyclists. I think they decided it would be best to get out of the way and started moving towards the sidewalk. The bad apple COP let one cyclist go by and then decided to walk forward.

He and the next cyclist got confused and ended up colliding. I agree that his big step forward and shove was uncalled for and certainly makes him the aggressor. I just don't see any evidence that his action was directed at that specific cyclist as some are claiming.

Also keep in mind that these Crit Mass events often put the police it a bad spot. The cyclists are forming a demonstration without a permit (I think). They are breaking traffic laws. The motorists are looking at the cops saying, "WTF, Why don't you do something about this?" Tensions are high and clashes often occur. This one is pretty minor, IMO.

jimjo

That cop was eyeing him up 20yds before he even got into the camera frame...

when's the next critical mass ride? im hoping i can get singled out like that I would gladly accept road rash and a little roughing up for the payday that cyclist is going to get!!! please please let it be me next... PAPA NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SIDI'S

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Meh, they dont pay enough in NY anyway - The guy will be back on the bike and the cop will get another job.

Top Bottom