patching tire sidewall

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I have Panaracer Fire Xc Pro's that I still consider new as the knobs are still sharp. The rear tire got a sidewall cut, so I patched it with a piece of pond liner. Do you yhink it will hold up or am I being too cheap?

J-Dro

I have Panaracer Fire Xc Pro's that I still consider new as the knobs are still sharp. The rear tire got a sidewall cut, so I patched it with a piece of pond liner. Do you yhink it will hold up or am I being too cheap?

Is this a tubeless tire? What did you use for adhesive on the pond liner? That's vinyl, no?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
that should hold up, I once used duct tape to patch a small tear on a panaracer like that one. It held up for a few more rides :getsome:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i've used a cut out section of a soda bottle with a couple of layers of duck tape befroe. worked pretty weleld. nowabsay i just uwse my speedy stithger. cover the stithes with rubeber cement and youyr sft.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
have u been drinkin' again sir? :p

ducktape.jpg

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
I bet you'd use that sticher on leg wounds too. :)

i've used a cut out section of a soda bottle with a couple of layers of duck tape befroe. worked pretty weleld. nowabsay i just uwse my speedy stithger. cover the stithes with rubeber cement and youyr sft.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
in all seriousness and soberness, i've used a speedy stitcher(google it) on several tire cuts, front and rear, sidewall and tread. they hold up great. if the cut is on the rear tread, it will last maybe a couple hundred miles before you wear through the stitches. rear sidewall, or anywhere on the front and i've yet to wear one of them out. just tie the knot on the outside, and liberally apply rubber cement on both sides. cover the inside with a piece of tape if you're using tubes.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
you are obviously equiped to be self sufficient for those long hauls.

QUOTE=anrothar;59130]in all seriousness and soberness, i've used a speedy stitcher(google it) on several tire cuts, front and rear, sidewall and tread. they hold up great. if the cut is on the rear tread, it will last maybe a couple hundred miles before you wear through the stitches. rear sidewall, or anywhere on the front and i've yet to wear one of them out. just tie the knot on the outside, and liberally apply rubber cement on both sides. cover the inside with a piece of tape if you're using tubes.[/QUOTE]

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
I've cut my own sidewall patches from the sidewalls of my old tires.What could be tougher,right?I've had good luck doing this on mtn and road tires.

D

dzm3

I've used radial tire patches from papboys or similar auto supply stores. they work great and are easy to apply. they come in various thicknesses, and i pick and choose accordint to the size and location of the hole. so far up to 1/2-3/4" holes even in sidewals held up fine for hundreds of miles and couple of years without failing or bubling out of the hole. they even have patches with threads inbedded into the rubber for strenth.

Attachments

• patch1.jpg
    patch1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 129
  • patch2.jpg
    patch2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 121
  • patch3.jpg
    patch3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 126
  • patch4.jpg
    patch4.jpg