i hate! *RANT HERE*

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Bike maker builds shiny new thing. Sends demos out to magazines and web sites. Advertises. Responds to web chatter on forums. Creates interest. Consumer goes to shop to look. "Nah, we don't have any of those. Unless you buy one then we'll order it." WTF?

I can drive a $30,000 car before I buy it.
I can sit on a new sofa before I buy it.
Washer, dryer, fridge, TV, whatever.

Crap, the LBS complain about people buying on the web, but Backcountry, Jenson, Price Point, all of them will accept a complete bike return unless it's custom built. I'm not saying a shop should have an XXXXXXL version of some obscure model, but would it be too hard for the manufacturer to throw a medium or large out there for the kool kid shops? Not everyone has time to hit Sea Otter or Interbike.

Ya like the Farley that much, eh? :D

I went through that when I bought my current truck 3+ years ago. Wanted a manual tranny, and wanted to test drive it first. Went to 4 dealers...one said " I would have to order you one, and you'd have to buy it", another said there is "not a single one in all of NJ" :hmmm:. Another never called me back. The 4th dealer said, I'll find one for you, trade it with the other dealer for a different car, and no obligation on your part to buy if you don't like the way it drives. He found one about an hour away in Monmouth County (so much for what stealer # 2 said). Needless to say, dealer 4 got my business.

I say, keep shopping. You'll find what you're looking for soon enough.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ya like the Farley that much, eh? :D

I went through that when I bought my current truck 3+ years ago. Wanted a manual tranny, and wanted to test drive it first. Went to 4 dealers...one said " I would have to order you one, and you'd have to buy it", another said there is "not a single one in all of NJ" :hmmm:. Another never called me back. The 4th dealer said, I'll find one for you, trade it with the other dealer for a different car, and no obligation on your part to buy if you don't like the way it drives. He found one about an hour away in Monmouth County (so much for what stealer # 2 said). Needless to say, dealer 4 got my business.

I say, keep shopping. You'll find what you're looking for soon enough.

I wish! Nah, the Beargrease would be my fattie of choice if that's the bike I was replacing. I just ran down a lead on something interesting in the direction I'm heading so might be cool.

It's a frustrating paradigm. I can't imagine the stones it takes to order up a $5k bike that you might not dig. I wonder if that's why so many MTBR reviews are good. Who's gonna admit the wonderbike they just blew a wad on is a big turd.:D

soulchild

1. People who drive with their high beams on.
2. NYC
3. Sandbaggers
4. The cost of insurance in NJ

"I'll tell you one thing that really drives me nuts is people who think that Jethro Tull is just a person in the band"...

goodvibe

I wish! Nah, the Beargrease would be my fattie of choice if that's the bike I was replacing. I just ran down a lead on something interesting in the direction I'm heading so might be cool.

It's a frustrating paradigm. I can't imagine the stones it takes to order up a $5k bike that you might not dig. I wonder if that's why so many MTBR reviews are good. Who's gonna admit the wonderbike they just blew a wad on is a big turd.:D

Actually, it is a bummer that you missed the Demo days. I tried the Beargrease at Six Mile in a demo day run by Halters. I know that a day or two later, Cyclecraft ran one at Kitatinny. Trust me, the Beargrease is more efficient and handles better than my 29er!

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
I dislike greatly, folks who are inconsiderate. This really grinds my gears... I think about others all the time, and it makes me crazy that others seem too self absorbed to reciprocate.
I see it every day and it makes my heart hurt.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Actually, it is a bummer that you missed the Demo days. I tried the Beargrease at Six Mile in a demo day run by Halters. I know that a day or two later, Cyclecraft ran one at Kitatinny. Trust me, the Beargrease is more efficient and handles better than my 29er!

If I don't see you on a BG by the end of the year there is definitely something wrong with the world.;)

I dislike greatly, folks who are inconsiderate. This really grinds my gears... I think about others all the time, and it makes me crazy that others seem too self absorbed to reciprocate.
I see it every day and it makes my heart hurt.

I said it once before here, but you can be a person who tries to make the world a little better every day, or one who makes it worse.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
"I'll tell you one thing that really drives me nuts is people who think that Jethro Tull is just a person in the band"...

i really don't mind...

-------
on the other hand, people that don't use their directional to indicate they are going/would like to change lanes. rather they wait for an opening, flip on their directional as they are moving.

called a person on this one, and they said that nobody would let them in if they used it......yeah,, i know, but this was in missouri.

-------

as far as expensive bikes in the shop - a long time ago, each chevy dealer got one, or maybe two of the high end corvettes. They priced them accordingly, and you better be a returning buyer to test drive one, unless plunking down a deposit. I would suspect the same from a bike shop on their upper end.

wear some rapha, ride to the shop on a dogma, talk with an accent, and you might get somewhere.

in other words, one gets better treatment at the bmw dealer if they pull up in a lexus, wearing a suit. (borrowed car, coming from an interview...hell, they don't know;))

gtluke

The Moped
99.99% of people think that Edsel is a car. Dumber than the Jethro Tull thing because people use "The Edsel" term all the time. Jethro Tull hasn't been relevant since my sister tried to convince me that the flute was cool in 4th grade.

gtluke

The Moped
6734da27dd49f71027c9b4c1902c51be200c4a8d70804dce98cbbeba2f2dc264.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
Did you read it Iggy?
Most people think "the edsel" is a crappy car that ford came out with. Not the case at all.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
sounds like a crappy car to me.

The Edsel was an automobile marque that was planned, developed, and manufactured by the Ford Motor Company during the 1958, 1959, and 1960 model years. With the Edsel, Ford had expected to make significant inroads into the market share of both General Motors and Chrysler and close the gap between itself and GM in the domestic American automotive market. But contrary to Ford's internal plans and projections, the Edsel never gained popularity with contemporary American car buyers and sold poorly. The Ford Motor Company lost millions of dollars on the Edsel's development, manufacturing and marketing.

Top Bottom