Ergon Grips

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone use these goofy looking mofos? Great reviews and starting to get really popular. Anyone? Gary/JDog? Either of you guys stock them?

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Grip/product_125005.shtml
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=4834&category=708

4834.jpg

Shaggz

A strong 7
i met the infamous bruce.b yesterday at the tourne, and noticed he was using them. we were too busy talking about mountain lions and it slipped my mind to ask him about them.

SpartaBard

i met the infamous bruce.b yesterday at the tourne, and noticed he was using them. we were too busy talking about mountain lions and it slipped my mind to ask him about them.

Did the bacon I put in your camelbak work?

bruce.b

Dickwad
Originally Posted by Shaggz....
>>i met the infamous bruce.b yesterday at the tourne, and noticed he was using them. we were too busy talking about mountain lions and it slipped my mind to ask him about them.<<

Then Sparta Bad wrote.....
>>Did the bacon I put in your camelbak work?<<

NOW I know why I found Shaggz so alluring. Mmmmm....bacon.
My wife and I recently bought property in Arcata (Humboldt County) California, mountain lion and weed growing capital of CA, which is how the mountain lion talk started.

I use Ergon grips on Jones H-bars. They work great on them. Don't know about regular bars. This combination is super comfortable. Most of the time I barely grip the bars, my palms stay put due to the large surface area and the concave shape where your weight rests. If you ever have any wrist or hand pain/numbness I'd try this combo. I'll never go back.

bruce boysen.....big, rigid and single, a 29er with no clip, click or bounce bounce.

walter

Fourth Party
Anyone use these goofy looking mofos? Great reviews and starting to get really popular. Anyone? Gary/JDog? Either of you guys stock them?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=4834&category=708

4834.jpg

norm, those are exactly the ones I use, really comfy. They seem to displace the pressure off your wrist more evenly, and provide alot of support for the meaty part of your palm. I have been using them for about 3 weeks and I have no complaints, probably going to get a set for the mary as well.

There are 3 kinds I believe, 2 without barends in varying degrees of thickness, and 1 with barends built in that are adjustable. There may be more but I know of those 3, plus womens models.

I think Jdog and AON are both using the barend types.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bruce, Walter - thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure I'm going to spring for a set.

Wobbegong

I use them on my hardtail. I have the Magnesium version with the bar ends. I like the different hand positions you can use with the bar ends. I needed to reposition my brake levers(up), but otherwise they offer some versitility to hand position. I noticed that my hands feel better after longer rides, there is more of a contact area for your palm to distribute weight. It took a few rides to get used to them in technical situations, but I dont notice it now. Jdog stocks them.

ArmyOfNone

I have them on my SS and they will be on my hardtail tomorrow. Going from one to the other you can feel a huge difference.

Glad you brought this up...Im thinking of going to flat bars. Im hoping this will help me climb a bit better. I am having a bit of trouble keeping my front wheel on line. Im hoping this will put me a bit more forward over the wheel to aid a bit. Atleast this is what i have seen on some xc racer's rigs.

From there i will have to decide if i want the ergons w/ bar ends or not.

what do you think?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

4834.jpg

We sell many of these. You can crack an ultra lite carbon bar with the clamp if not careful. Other than that I can see no downfall.

After a few months on this type of grip a round grip really feels weird.

j-

Rode with these for first time at Chimney Rock

and I loved them. I used to get hand, wrist and forearm fatigue and soreness after most of my rides. I tried them out at Chimney Rock for the first time on Saturday 5/12 and I loved them.

A typical ride at Chimney Rock would leave me with a very tired upper body - these grips almost eliminated that factor. I did not have to have a "death grip" on my handle bars, and it seemed as though I was able to lift the handlebars with less effort. Perhaps the perception of 'less effort' comes from my arms and hands being much less fatigued than they usually would be.

Verdict: Money well spent, and I have to wonder why this concept was not thougth of sooner (and why I was not the lucky bastard who thought of it).

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

which bars? I have the FSA Wing Pro Compact on the new bike. they have a nice flat area as well that is comfy for riding off the hoods.

Al, Want to drag me around on some road rides?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and I loved them. I used to get hand, wrist and forearm fatigue and soreness after most of my rides. I tried them out at Chimney Rock for the first time on Saturday 5/12 and I loved them.

A typical ride at Chimney Rock would leave me with a very tired upper body - these grips almost eliminated that factor. I did not have to have a "death grip" on my handle bars, and it seemed as though I was able to lift the handlebars with less effort. Perhaps the perception of 'less effort' comes from my arms and hands being much less fatigued than they usually would be.

Verdict: Money well spent, and I have to wonder why this concept was not thougth of sooner (and why I was not the lucky bastard who thought of it).

Coll, thanks for the review. Probably pick some up these week.

Top Bottom