Bike: Titus Racer X Aluminum

P

Phatbiker

Manufacturer: Titus
Product: Racer X Aluminum w/carbon seat stays
How Long Used: 6 Months
Similar Products Used: Ellsworth Truth, Intense 5.5
Overall Rating: 10

Positive: Very light, proven design, looks great, handles very very well.

Negative: People expect you to be faster than you really are.

Comments: I rode this bike for the first time at the 2005 Interbike Trade Show. It was my favorite bike so I picked one up for myself. This is one of the best handleing bikes around. Construction is top notch.

phat

Last edited by a moderator:

NJ Jess

Titus Racer X

Absolutely a great bike! Fat chicks have a hard time climbing hills, now I don't have too. This bike does it for me. Really! I won the Sport Womens 35+ category even though I could be in the Athena category. At Mt Snow, the Titus Racer X flew over the rocks on the Downhills. I was taking lines I thought only a DH bike would make. Simply Awesome.

1 neg: Get the "Long Cage" derailuer. I tore my carbon race derailuer going Big to Big, cause the leader was only 10 pedals in front of me!

NJ Jess

campmor

I believe Campmor is the only Titus dealer in NJ. But I believe Ruth, just got one from Philly. Go to the Female riders board and PM her if you like. I prefer Campmor because Jeff is an Outstanding mechanic for Titus.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Absolutely a great bike! Fat chicks have a hard time climbing hills, now I don't have too. This bike does it for me. Really! I won the Sport Womens 35+ category even though I could be in the Athena category. At Mt Snow, the Titus Racer X flew over the rocks on the Downhills. I was taking lines I thought only a DH bike would make. Simply Awesome.

1 neg: Get the "Long Cage" derailuer. I tore my carbon race derailuer going Big to Big, cause the leader was only 10 pedals in front of me!

Now Jess, we all thought you tore that derailuer off because deep inside you wanted to ride a Single-Speed.

p.s. My Racer-X just came in at Campmor, and I can't wait to get it built and on the trail. And Yes, the service at Campmor is great!

Tommyklein

Great Bike

I have the Hammerhead version of the RX and love it. It's basically the same frame with a little better stand over, straight guage down tube, and some extra beefy gussets. This bike loves to be ridden hard, is super responsive on singletrack, and climbs really well. So far it's the stiffest fs I've ridden (corners awesome). I prefer the horst link design of the rear triangle over most other designs. The suspension is consistent while climbing with chain torque and hard braking on descents. I rode this bike solo this year in the 24hr of allamuchy and it performed great.........it actually outperformed me :mad:
I would definitely recommend the RX to anyone looking for a great fs xc racer or just a solid bike.

NJ Jess

Ellen on a Racer-X!

Now Jess, we all thought you tore that derailuer off because deep inside you wanted to ride a Single-Speed.

p.s. My Racer-X just came in at Campmor, and I can't wait to get it built and on the trail. And Yes, the service at Campmor is great!

LOOK OUT racers! Ellen will be Flying her bike through the race courses this year! Gee, you are such a great climber as it is,...now you will be headed for the Nose-bleed sections to the mountains.

And yes, these monster thighs really do want to ride Single-Speed,...cause they really ain't that fast,...and now I will have a reason to go Hyper Speed on the Downhill!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I believe Campmor is the only Titus dealer in NJ. But I believe Ruth, just got one from Philly. Go to the Female riders board and PM her if you like. I prefer Campmor because Jeff is an Outstanding mechanic for Titus.
Planet Bike on Rt. 34 in Matawan was (still is?) a Titus dealer. I haven't been in there in a while, so I'm not sure.

I bought my RacerX there in early 2003. Its got non-stock geometry, basically "Small" head and seat tubes with a "Medium+" top tube and spec'ed for a 100mm fork. Very similar to a Hammerhead.

An awesome bike which lately has been sitting while I ride my rigid Bontrager SS instead.

B.L.

After 12 years of racing and riding on aluminum and more recently steel hard tails, my switch to the Racer-X was awesome last year! I thought initially that I would only use the bike for the longer (50+ miles) races and rougher courses, but I never wanted to get off it. The bike rocks and the little bit of extra weight over a hardtail is worth it for overall body abuse and climbing effeciency. I never felt so good at the Wilderness 101 (where there is plenty of gravel/dirt road climbing, too) and I know it helped earn me my first top 10 finish there. It was also crazy good at All-A-Muchy, where it smoohted out all the rocks. Simply incredible!

PatrickBrown

Planet Bike on Rt. 34 in Matawan was (still is?) a Titus dealer. I haven't been in there in a while, so I'm not sure.

I bought my RacerX there in early 2003. Its got non-stock geometry, basically "Small" head and seat tubes with a "Medium+" top tube and spec'ed for a 100mm fork. Very similar to a Hammerhead.

An awesome bike which lately has been sitting while I ride my rigid Bontrager SS instead.

guys I have been looking at the titus site for a while, which frames do you ride? alum? ti? exogrid?

I'm very interested in them

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
guys I have been looking at the titus site for a while, which frames do you ride? alum? ti? exogrid?

Mine is aluminum. Unless you need very non-stock geometry or are bleeding money, the other materials make little sense. The bikes are not built out of beer-can thin Easton, so durability is not a huge concern, IMO.

PatrickBrown

Mine is aluminum. Unless you need very non-stock geometry or are bleeding money, the other materials make little sense. The bikes are not built out of beer-can thin Easton, so durability is not a huge concern, IMO.

I may bleed for money lol

very good, a well taken opinion.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

A few years back I rode a $10,000 Litespeed TI Full suspension XC Uber bike.

It was OK. Not worth it by any strech.

At the time I thought to myself "Self, this thing will be an outdated design long before it is worth the pricetag"..

SO.. to me anything other that Alloynuminum is silly for a squishy bike. That being said I just ordered 2 more Rush Cabon Team bikes since I seem to have no trouble selling $6500 carbon dual sus. bikes.

j-

PatrickBrown

A few years back I rode a $10,000 Litespeed TI Full suspension XC Uber bike.

It was OK. Not worth it by any strech.

At the time I thought to myself "Self, this thing will be an outdated design long before it is worth the pricetag"..

SO.. to me anything other that Alloynuminum is silly for a squishy bike. That being said I just ordered 2 more Rush Cabon Team bikes since I seem to have no trouble selling $6500 carbon dual sus. bikes.

j-

yeah would have to agree, plus I was hoping that the people who were having success on squshy bikes (as J said :) ) were doing it on alum bike for the less expensive way out.

I loved my carbon road bike, but stuff aint cheap

heythorp

yeah would have to agree, plus I was hoping that the people who were having success on squshy bikes (as J said :) ) were doing it on alum bike for the less expensive way out.

I loved my carbon road bike, but stuff aint cheap

Carbon road bikes have become much more affordable. You can get a full Ultegra full carbon bike for 3grand now. I am sure you are used to the full dura ace set up (which you can acheive for 5 or so) but the Parts have come a long way. Carbon mt. bikes are a different story

PatrickBrown

Carbon road bikes have become much more affordable. You can get a full Ultegra full carbon bike for 3grand now. I am sure you are used to the full dura ace set up (which you can acheive for 5 or so) but the Parts have come a long way. Carbon mt. bikes are a different story

yeah it was a trek 5500, dura ace, rolf vector pros......

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

..it is worth noting for Pat (who now only reads and writes about bikes) that the new ultegra 10 speed is much better than the old Dura ace 9 speed.

Buying anything better than Ultegra is almost silly. I think for the money the SRAM rival is the way to go..

j

PatrickBrown

..it is worth noting for Pat (who now only reads and writes about bikes) that the new ultegra 10 speed is much better than the old Dura ace 9 speed.

Buying anything better than Ultegra is almost silly. I think for the money the SRAM rival is the way to go..

j

Jay if I didnt know that was a friendly Jab, I might met my feelings get hurt :)

ok but a real question, since u can probably guess, my mountain bikes used to run all XTR of course, because I had the means and I needed the best....( maybe I was compensating for something) whats a good mountain grouppo to run?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I think anything more than the basic Shimano 105 stuff is a waste on a road bike. The 105 stuff lasted me forever (ok like 6-7 years). Some of those parts are still going.

Top Bottom