Bike: Titus Racer X Aluminum

I think anything more than the basic Shimano 105 stuff is a waste on a road bike. The 105 stuff lasted me forever (ok like 6-7 years). Some of those parts are still going.

Norm,

If you have not yet you should ride a NEW 10spd 105 bike. The stuff is really really good.

j

..it is worth noting for Pat (who now only reads and writes about bikes) that the new ultegra 10 speed is much better than the old Dura ace 9 speed.

Buying anything better than Ultegra is almost silly. I think for the money the SRAM rival is the way to go..

j

Jay if I didnt know that was a friendly Jab, I might met my feelings get hurt

ok but a real question, since u can probably guess, my mountain bikes used to run all XTR of course, because I had the means and I needed the best....( maybe I was compensating for something) whats a good mountain grouppo to run?

Jay if I didnt know that was a friendly Jab, I might met my feelings get hurt :)

ok but a real question, since u can probably guess, my mountain bikes used to run all XTR of course, because I had the means and I needed the best....( maybe I was compensating for something) whats a good mountain grouppo to run?

Again the middle of the road stuff has become very reliable. Some say even more so then the high end becuase they are a bit heavier and more durable.

I am a big fan of XT stuff. XTR still is nice and will always have the bling factor.

SRAM seems to be the people's choice now. I have tried it all and to be honest.

Shimano brakes are my favorite, and i could go either way on the rest.. shimano, sram all the same to me..

Jay if I didnt know that was a friendly Jab, I might met my feelings get hurt :)

I have sold 5 full XTR bikes in the last month so I have a pretty good handle on how it works.

First off thank god they got rid of the Dual-Control Levers!! Those things BLOW (imho).

The new XTR is nice for sure but I still prefer the X.O. setup overall.

I think a mixture of groups will serve you best.

-XTR Crank (very nice but way pricey)
-X.O. Shifters and Ders (maybe a XTR Front)
-XTR Cass (no one makes a better cass than Shimano)
-Wipperman Chain
-Magura Marta Brakes (New XTRs are good but I still love Marta)
-CrossmaxST wheels (Lighter and Stronger than last years SL's and less$)
-Easton Bar,stem,post
-XTR Pedals (Hell Yeah!)
-Hutchinson UST Piranah tires (Very low rolling resistance and good traction)
-WTB Racer V Saddle (Light and comfy)
-Ergon Grips (too weird not to be good)

This is a sweet build kit. On my geared bike (which I rarely ride) I run Pauls Love Levers With Dura Ace 9 Barcon Shifters. Basically 1989 technology. Light a right.

I am also a fan of Gripshift to the end but I am certain to be chastised for that.

I will warn you that any mulit pivot bike will require more shop time than a single pivot. The new rear shocks do wonders for these simple designs. I have ridden both designs and the simplicity of a bike that doesn't squeak makes me happy.

j
-

The more moving parts the more actual wear points.

I have seen some bikes that need at least 2 complete bearing rebuilds during one season.

Perhaps you have been lucky.

Also a single pivot is torsionally stiffer in nearly every case.

The more moving parts the more actual wear points.

I have seen some bikes that need at least 2 complete bearing rebuilds during one season.

Perhaps you have been lucky.

Also a single pivot is torsionally stiffer in nearly every case.

Get a bike with grease bushings instead of sealed bearings. Problem solved. Very stiff as well.

Ok gang, I just got out for my first two rides on my new racer-x, and just as phat, jess and BL claimed, I have to say : FANTASTIC bike!

Not that I have alot to compare to (scalpel, asr-sl, fuel), but it is the best handling bike I ever been on. I went for the custom because I didn't have enough stand over for the 100mm with the stock bike. Titus put together an excelent fit for me with the Fox100. I also chose ti over exogrid because of cost, durability and ride feel. Yes, even pixy is getting up there in years, and is looking for that plush ride.

Weighs in at 25.1, but climbs lighter, handles precise and rocks on the downhils, weeeooo !! :D

Riding at Ringwood this past Saturday, which is my home turf, I cleaned a trials type section that I have never cleaned once. That custom fit enables me to get that connected to the bike feeling I have only come close to with my SS, which dimensions were sent to titus with my measurements.

all thumbs up from pixy

Ok gang, I just got out for my first two rides on my new racer-x, and just as phat, jess and BL claimed, I have to say : FANTASTIC bike!

Not that I have alot to compare to (scalpel, asr-sl, fuel), but it is the best handling bike I ever been on. I went for the custom because I didn't have enough stand over for the 100mm with the stock bike. Titus put together an excelent fit for me with the Fox100. I also chose ti over exogrid because of cost, durability and ride feel. Yes, even pixy is getting up there in years, and is looking for that plush ride.

Weighs in at 25.1, but climbs lighter, handles precise and rocks on the downhils, weeeooo !! :D

Riding at Ringwood this past Saturday, which is my home turf, I cleaned a trials type section that I have never cleaned once. That custom fit enables me to get that connected to the bike feeling I have only come close to with my SS, which dimensions were sent to titus with my measurements.

all thumbs up from pixy

Best of Luck w/the new ride, e!!! :) :) :)

I think anything more than the basic Shimano 105 stuff is a waste on a road bike. The 105 stuff lasted me forever (ok like 6-7 years). Some of those parts are still going.

My first hand experience with the 9 speed 105 is mixed. The brakes, cranks, and front derailure work well and seem durable. However, the rear derailure only lasted about 3000 miles before before it wore out. The shifters fell apart soon after. The Ultegra 9 speed worked more smoothly and felt more solid, and of course the Dura Ace was similar with a little weight savings. My conclusion is that it is worth paying more for Ultegra so you don't have to replace it after 3000 miles. Which for some, is less than a year. I have not tried the 10 speed yet and I would like to try SRAM's new road stuff.

The word on the street is that the new 10 speed 105 is pretty good, see the review:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/reviews/shimano105group

Back
Top Bottom