Who likes to smoke their meat?

First smoke ever today-my neighbor gave me his Brinkmanns Smoke n Grill . I did some modifications- installed some vents and a hole for a real thermometer , not the one that came on the side of the smoker. Bought some apple wood chips and am using the recommended lump coals- Cowboy coals is the brand I believe . Tough to get keep thing up to temp with the pork butt on it , but once I did seems to be maintaining pretty good after 2 hours in . Updates to come .....
Just a thought- after the meat hits 140* internal temp, it's about done taking on smoke. If you are having trouble keeping temp, there's no shame in finishing it in the oven. BTDT.

Well... it was a learning experience that's for sure. After almost 14 hours and an internal temp of 165, I did just that- put it in the oven . Got it up to 180 so no pulled pork this time - just gonna slice it . Smells delicious though ! I need to work on this smoker or invest in a different one. I read some interesting things on-line how to make it work more efficiently . Had a fun time though- and a few too many beers waiting .

Attachments

• pork.jpg
    pork.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
Well... it was a learning experience that's for sure. After almost 14 hours and an internal temp of 165, I did just that- put it in the oven . Got it up to 180 so no pulled pork this time - just gonna slice it . Smells delicious though ! I need to work on this smoker or invest in a different one. I read some interesting things on-line how to make it work more efficiently . Had a fun time though- and a few too many beers waiting .
180? You're almost there!
I once shredded 30+lbs of pork at 4am (with an oven finish) after being too optimistic on a cold windy wintry night. The kitchen looked like an X-files episode about exploding pigs. Have fun with it- read up on it and see what mods worked for people.
Then when you have it dialed in, upgrade ;)

Nice job, pork will at times stall like your scenario, I used to have a brinkman and the thin metal makes it tough to control temps. A large Weber kettle will out duel most big box smokers. Try wrapping your meat with thick foil, not the thin stuff, but first spray on some apple juice. Temps are getting ideal to make this a weekly update

Thanks for the tips . I got home from work and put it back in the oven for 2 hours on 275
and bam! That was some succulent pig! Juicy, and delicious ! All in all not a bad first experience .

i'm not a big fan of adding wet over low heat. is this late in the action, and then bring the temp up?

love me some pepper - gotta research, cause i need to make a big splash about a month from now.

i'm not a big fan of adding wet over low heat. is this late in the action, and then bring the temp up?

love me some pepper - gotta research, cause i need to make a big splash about a month from now.
that's it, dry up to the last 20 mins, but raw sauce on afterwards is worse than mopping sauce for 6 hrs.
Next time I'm going to heat up salt with the prickly ash instead of straight in, then mortar together as bbq dust
getting ribs and chix perfect in the same unit is hard, esp in a kettle.

what you got for flags of our fathers folks
started early this weekend
first lollipop chix thighs afterwards pork tenderloin (no pics)
almost ready are some eggs and Italian sausages
I need a new smoker, the kettle is just too small....
WP_20160526_19_29_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20160527_00_58_35_Pro.jpg eggs are only supposed to go in for 30 mins, but took out after 45 even though not very dark in color. Sausages stay in for another 3 hrs. Dropped in 15 bricks n more hickory and heading to bed. Sausage is fine dry or moist. will be my breakfast in the morning

There will be some traditional prep lamb chops (rosemary, thyme, garlic) and some steaks (morel powder, dried chipotle powder) on the BGE this weekend. Sliced my finger when a glass broke on me yesterday, so trip to Killington got messed up, thus there will be meat in my immediate future.

Try using regular Kingsford briquettes, believe it or not, many of the competition guys use these. Consistent burn, and little bag to bag variability. Once you dial in the number of briquettes you need, you get a consistent smoke every time (as long as outside conditions are not extreme). I use the Fuse Technique in my big Smokey Mountain with a couple of blocks of apple and cherry, its almost set and forget.

There will be some traditional prep lamb chops (rosemary, thyme, garlic) and some steaks (morel powder, dried chipotle powder) on the BGE this weekend. Sliced my finger when a glass broke on me yesterday, so trip to Killington got messed up, thus there will be meat in my immediate future.
looking to get a new smoker, how many racks of spare ribs can you do in one shot?

Try using regular Kingsford briquettes, believe it or not, many of the competition guys use these. Consistent burn, and little bag to bag variability. Once you dial in the number of briquettes you need, you get a consistent smoke every time (as long as outside conditions are not extreme). I use the Fuse Technique in my big Smokey Mountain with a couple of blocks of apple and cherry, its almost set and forget.
just read up on the Fuse method, do you find you need to position your meat differently. My friend swares by his WSM, but sure if he uses that technique
My only gripe with Kingsford, is the tiny size at start up burns out too fast in the chimney. but once in the kettle, I like how it performs when I replenish.
wsm_charcoal_options.jpg

I'm a minion guy but I'd be up for something new. I really would go rectangle side box rather than round next time. How many racks of ribs are round? Although I have done "standing" racks. Would like to get 10 at a time.

Do you guys throw your meats on immediately after lighting wood or do you wait for the smoker to come up to temp?

Back
Top Bottom