Who likes to smoke their meat?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
just read up on the Fuse method, do you find you need to position your meat differently. My friend swares by his WSM, but sure if he uses that technique
My only gripe with Kingsford, is the tiny size at start up burns out too fast in the chimney. but once in the kettle, I like how it performs when I replenish.
wsm_charcoal_options.jpg

No need to reposition the meet because I have a giant water pan between the heat and the meat. I also have a few patio blocks in there to keep the donut in place.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Immediate. Not trying to get a seer so get it on. The wood should ignite immediately.

I had smoked blue fish the other day. Not bad!

walter

Fourth Party
Ok, I've always been an immediate guy. Mrs Walter is trying a new recipe today and she keeps telling me to wait til it gets warm. Bah on her.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wait for it to get to temp.
Usually fire up the chimney, while that's doing its thing, I prep the meat.
And I'm a minion guy.

Patrick

Staff member
I wait for it to get to temp.
Usually fire up the chimney, while that's doing its thing, I prep the meat.
And I'm a minion guy.

so you wait for the smoker to come to temp? or just the coals in the chimney?

you know i have a language problem......

what is your prep??

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so you wait for the smoker to come to temp? or just the coals in the chimney?

you know i have a language problem......

what is your prep??
Ha, I knew that was going to be problematic.
Fire up the chimney, then do meat prep: remove the membrane/fat, slather in mustard, then dry rub.
About this time chimney is ready.
Dump the charcoal into the smoker, and wait 10-20 minutes for it to get to temp, then add meat.

Patrick

Staff member
Ha, I knew that was going to be problematic.
Fire up the chimney, then do meat prep: remove the membrane/fat, slather in mustard, then dry rub.
About this time chimney is ready.
Dump the charcoal into the smoker, and wait 10-20 minutes for it to get to temp, then add meat.

it probably takes me 10 minutes after getting the coals on, but the smoker is open, and the wood is getting its burn on.

you have secret dry rub? or is that a bunch of posts back?

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it probably takes me 10 minutes after getting the coals on, but the smoker is open, and the wood is getting its burn on.

you have secret dry rub? or is that a bunch of posts back?
Not a secret, I'm sure I posted it.
Also not my own, but here it is.
I consider it enough for 2 racks too.

Also I tend to use sweet baby rays for sauce, but prep it the same.
Baste with sauce 30 minutes before they're done.

Magic Dust

2 Tablespoons paprika

1 Tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 Tablespoon granulated garlic

1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder

1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes enough rub for 3 slabs of pork loin back ribs.

Prepare The Sauce

Combine 5 parts KC Masterpiece Original Flavor barbecue sauce with 1 part honey and stir thoroughly.

For example, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of sauce and 2 tablespoons of honey make 3/4 cup of sauce mixture.

Set the sauce mixture aside for use when the ribs are finished cooking.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Not a secret, I'm sure I posted it.
Also not my own, but here it is.
I consider it enough for 2 racks too.

Also I tend to use sweet baby rays for sauce, but prep it the same.
Baste with sauce 30 minutes before they're done.

Magic Dust

2 Tablespoons paprika

1 Tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 Tablespoon granulated garlic

1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder

1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes enough rub for 3 slabs of pork loin back ribs.

Prepare The Sauce

Combine 5 parts KC Masterpiece Original Flavor barbecue sauce with 1 part honey and stir thoroughly.

For example, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of sauce and 2 tablespoons of honey make 3/4 cup of sauce mixture.

Set the sauce mixture aside for use when the ribs are finished cooking.
similar, but if no sauce double up the sugar and salt. Funny I've been saucing the last 20 mins as of late, cause that how the family likes it, good figure... I prefer dry myself. though my sauce is getting pretty killer the last few attempts

does anyone do the 3-2-1 method, I know it's an amateur technique. But even seen plenty use it at competitons

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
similar, but if no sauce double up the sugar and salt. Funny I've been saucing the last 20 mins as of late, cause that how the family likes it, good figure... I prefer dry myself. though my sauce is getting pretty killer the last few attempts

does anyone do the 3-2-1 method, I know it's an amateur technique. But even seen plenty use it at competitons

Yeah, saucing at the end of the cook is nice because it really bakes on making a nice glaze. Then those who need can add more sauce at the table, but that's enough for me.

I have not used the 3-2-1 method, but a friend foils them towards the end of the cook and gets good results.

Patrick

Staff member
i avoid chilli powder on the ribs. otherwise mine is very similar.
usually use brown sugar, and add'ly some onion powder.

getting hungry!

Patrick

Staff member
put on a monster pork butt and a chunk of lamb last night around 9pm - set the vents/damper
as usual, and didn't check again until 6am - seems i closed them a bit too much - smoker temp around
150 this morning - fire still going. 9 hours in, internal temp 135. no hurry, will get it after riding....
it was around 60 with a breeze last night - might just have been that...

Patrick

Staff member
Mutton came out great - i have no idea what piece of meat it was. The narrow end was folded back and trussed, but
don't think it was tenderloin. Took it off around 11:00 for 14 hours of low and slow. Shaved it for some nice sammiches!

IMG_4860.JPG

Getting ready for tomorrow - 6 racks defrosting, will dry rub tonight and fire them up around 5am tomorrow for a ~5pm
serving. If you see a patriotic tube guy on the front lawn, stop in!

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mutton came out great - i have no idea what piece of meat it was. The narrow end was folded back and trussed, but
don't think it was tenderloin. Took it off around 11:00 for 14 hours of low and slow. Shaved it for some nice sammiches!

View attachment 37281

Getting ready for tomorrow - 6 racks defrosting, will dry rub tonight and fire them up around 5am tomorrow for a ~5pm

View attachment 37282

View attachment 37283
Awesome in the mutton, couple of thoughts on the ribs:
Assuming your dry rub has salt, I'd worry about it taking moisture out of the meat.
And 12 hours seems a damn long time for ribs. I'd aim for half that.
This isn't your first rodeo though, is that your SOP?

Patrick

Staff member
Awesome in the mutton, couple of thoughts on the ribs:
Assuming your dry rub has salt, I'd worry about it taking moisture out of the meat.
And 12 hours seems a damn long time for ribs. I'd aim for half that.
This isn't your first rodeo though, is that your SOP?

12 is a long time - the smoker is going to be packed, cause there is also a 10lb shoulder.
in reality they will probably go on at 6, and i'll monitor until done - the hawks start circling
around 3:00...i take them off, and start slicing. after i cut someone's finger reaching in,
the frenzy slows.......

the rub does have sea salt -
i'll put the shoulder where the rendered fat drips on the ribs :banana:
(never tried it before with shoulder - usually brisket tho...)

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
12 is a long time - the smoker is going to be packed, cause there is also a 10lb shoulder.
in reality they will probably go on at 6, and i'll monitor until done - the hawks start circling
around 3:00...i take them off, and start slicing. after i cut someone's finger reaching in,
the frenzy slows.......

the rub does have sea salt -
i'll put the shoulder where the rendered fat drips on the ribs :banana:
(never tried it before with shoulder - usually brisket tho...)
Cool, sounds like a plan, and I know you'll report back.
And my concern was not salt in general, just overnight.
(Was on my first litre of coffee.)

ktmrider

That a cool looking island top , is this granite ?

View attachment 37281

View attachment 37282

View attachment 37283[/QUO

Patrick

Staff member
That a cool looking island top , is this granite ?

Yes - Black Marinace Granite from MSI - https://www.msistone.com/granite/black-marinace/

Considered doing this as a backsplash to the range but decided against it.
it is "directional" and each slab is unique. there are golder and greener versions too.
it was either river bed, or smoothed by glacier activity, depending on the geologist - good stuff.

qclabrat

overnight in the fridge for the dry run should be fine, most rubs don't have enough salt to start a curing effect, with those long times tho, make sure you're doing the 90 min mop down for exposure

even with the big bullet, how can you fit all? are you rolling up the ribs

Top Bottom