Who likes to smoke their meat?

with the same volume, charcoal burns longer, wood burns hotter. charcoal produces that smokey taste that you get in your clothes - the wood produces that sweet/flavored smoke taste. temp is all a matter of controlling the amount of air entering the system (or exiting out the top) - a tall barrel smoker can have significant differences in temp between the bottom and top. (15F or more)

i can get my kettle grill to ~700F with wood, can you say pizza on the grill?
http://www.kettlepizza.com/

--------------------

Jealous - very jealous.....

----------------------

so we did a pork belly without curing last week - sicilian fellow, just a rub, and throw it on for 6 hour - skin on. it came out nice, held together when sliced (opposite way of bacon) - melted in the mouth - (~1/6" slices) but just a massive fat hit. was wondering about dropping it on the flat top afterwards.
Pork belly is adult candy, good stuff

Son of a B*tch, that egg is gorgeous! Want!

Makes amazing steaks too. Can sear at 800+ degrees or hold 250 all day for a low and slow smoke. Can't believe we lived with the Weber gas grill for so long. Got lucky when it died and a friend recommended a BGE.

Really good day smoking yesterday.
Didn't scrape the thigh skins so came out a bit chewy. ribs were pretty decent, the BRITU rub was great on one rack, the other with Pork Barrel commercial rub was mediocre. Pork bellies came out the best after 10 hr. Serious pork crack a they sayimage.jpg

Happening now
photo1_zps719a23c3.jpg

photo2_zps2cde7318.jpg

photo3_zpsd73e3272.jpg

photo4_zps21e2a4a6.jpg

Yes!!
but what is the condom for?

all those butts going to pulled pork? or other plans?

feeling like some brisket this week.

---

lovin the amount of meat in that belly @qclabrat

you must have a big smoker
Actually it's the smaller of the 2 weber models (18.5"),
but still has plenty of volume.

Shown here with optional rain blocker.
photo_zps5deeb380.jpg

Could easily hold 4 butts, and I usually do 4 racks of baby backs using just the top grate,
8 racks would be within the realm of possibility.

but what is the condom for?
Thems hand condoms.

Curses- Foiled again!
photo2_zps367db759.jpg

Shhhh. They resting.
photo3_zpsa22113eb.jpg

all those butts going to pulled pork?
Ayup.

Pre-party quality control with Carolina vinegar sauce
photo1_zps110af933.jpg

Oh yeah, if you're gonna do pulled pork, get these meat claw things.

So, all told:
3 boneless pork butts, about 20lbs, so average <7lbs per
16 1/2 hours cook time which is just crazy town, because I was running it at the high-end of low (~240).
Had a couple of brief temp spikes, but not too bad (once on reload so you kinda expect that).

Pulled off the smoker at around 190*, rested in the cooler for an hour before shredding.
For the second time ever, I used an apple juice based injection, and I'm going to throw out the syringe just so I remember not to do it again.
You just don't need it for this cut- plenty of internal fat and flavor,
and I'm thinking that may have contributed to the long cooking time.
Fat rendering was complete, no clean up during shredding,
which is great, since they weren't the best trimmed cuts I've put in a smoker.

feeling like some brisket this week.
Yeah, I need to do this next.
Brisket was the first thing I ever tried smoking, I did absolutely everything wrong that you could,
and haven't taken a crack at it since. Need to right that wrong.

Happy 4th of July!

What's everyone got going today? I'm sure you don't need a motivational speech.

Did a major screw up - usually do my shoulder overnight, and drop it in the crock pot/sauce in the morning - leaving more
room for ribs...had a couple beers, and dropped the ball - so the guests are going to be shorted some ribs this year - i'll fire those babies up tomorrow for
the second wave!

2 - 7lb shoulders and 4 big (costco ribs are bigger) racks
will be putting a lamb roast on around noon - haven't tried that before - so we'll see.
have a couple racks in the oven inside too - i'll hit them with the spicy bbq sauce, nobody will notice.

Dent in top is from Sandy....super storm sandy, cause if it was a hurricane, there would be no insurance.....
IMG_3235.JPG

Note the wegmans rack, 2nd from left, compared to costco (center)...my that is a large butt......
IMG_3234.JPG

Happy 4th of July!

What's everyone got going today? I'm sure you don't need a motivational speech.

Did a major screw up - usually do my shoulder overnight, and drop it in the crock pot/sauce in the morning - leaving more
room for ribs...had a couple beers, and dropped the ball - so the guests are going to be shorted some ribs this year - i'll fire those babies up tomorrow for
the second wave!

2 - 7lb shoulders and 4 big (costco ribs are bigger) racks
will be putting a lamb roast on around noon - haven't tried that before - so we'll see.
have a couple racks in the oven inside too - i'll hit them with the spicy bbq sauce, nobody will notice.

Dent in top is from Sandy....super storm sandy, cause if it was a hurricane, there would be no insurance.....
View attachment 23380

Note the wegmans rack, 2nd from left, compared to costco (center)...my that is a large butt......
View attachment 23381
Very nice. GLWS (smoke).
Are the Costco ones babybacks too?
They huge.

Not smoking anything myself, but going to a BBQ at a friend's who I gave my old smoker.
Do I get an assist?

Very nice. GLWS (smoke).
Are the Costco ones babybacks too?
They huge.

Not smoking anything myself, but going to a BBQ at a friend's who I gave my old smoker.
Do I get an assist?

Both sets are st louis style spare ribs....spouse is from STL, so that is the way we roll.

and the gift of smoke, can't go wrong, not matter what that means....:D

post-mortem....

Ribs in the oven were good - served them first...then hit the crowd with the ones off the smoker. Bam!
stuff goes quick when there is a gathering, and the guys are circling.....
Pulled one of the shoulders, it was a bit tougher than usual - wasn't sure what happened there.
One in reserve to today, if @KStwenty1 is on his afternoon loop.....also have another 4 racks on today,
and will pick up some trout and attempt a dip..

Smoked lamb - overcooked it by 10 degrees, so it was a bit dry. still great flavor using a lemon/oil/garlic/onion marinade/paste...
made a nice sammich

Some driveway art.
IMG_3240.JPG

aparently someone dumped their evening entertainment on my property
IMG_3245.JPG
And for @gtluke - used the arm growing out of my head to get this one...
IMG_3241.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 3
post-mortem....

Ribs in the oven were good - served them first...then hit the crowd with the ones off the smoker. Bam!
stuff goes quick when there is a gathering, and the guys are circling.....
Pulled one of the shoulders, it was a bit tougher than usual - wasn't sure what happened there.
One in reserve to today, if @KStwenty1 is on his afternoon loop.....also have another 4 racks on today,
and will pick up some trout and attempt a dip..

Smoked lamb - overcooked it by 10 degrees, so it was a bit dry. still great flavor using a lemon/oil/garlic/onion marinade/paste...
made a nice sammich

Some driveway art.
View attachment 23411

aparently someone dumped their evening entertainment on my property
View attachment 23412
And for @gtluke - used the arm growing out of my head to get this one...
View attachment 23413

was out of town this weekend so no smoke here
experimenting with some other rubs, so will be doing smaller batches of pork and chix in the next few weeks

Pat, haven't tried lamb before, what was the ideal temp were you shooting for?

was out of town this weekend so no smoke here
experimenting with some other rubs, so will be doing smaller batches of pork and chix in the next few weeks

Pat, haven't tried lamb before, what was the ideal temp were you shooting for?

145 is supposed to be a slightly pink center.

sunday ribs were fantastic! and i got to eat as many as i wanted.....
took the other pork shoulder and dropped it in the crock pot with some beef stock. about 3 hours, maybe a bit more.
it fell apart, and the fat just separated, so easily. it did seem like it lost some of its smokiness, but still damn good.

Back
Top Bottom