Who likes to smoke their meat?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
overnight in the fridge for the dry run should be fine, most rubs don't have enough salt to start a curing effect, with those long times tho, make sure you're doing the 90 min mop down for exposure

even with the big bullet, how can you fit all? are you rolling up the ribs

i've done the ribs as crowns - can fit 8, but no butt -so i'm going to cut them to fit in the rack. this should be interesting.
also have a gas smoker on the grill i've never use - so could put the butt in there - getting ready to figure it all out now....

qclabrat

i never liked the crown technique, the coloration wadnt even. smoke half of ribs first for 2 hrs then rotate out for next set, wrapped in foil and place on grill for remaining time, add apple juice in foil. That butts going to take a while

Patrick

Staff member
ok - into the 18" weber - its like the 26er of smokers.
5 racks in a stand up "rack" on the lower shelf - it is pushed all the way to one side, and the ribs are curved to fit -
this would not work on the upper shelf, because of the dome top
1 rack and the shoulder on the top - the rack of ribs is flat.

no pictures cause pork-free phone.

so here is how the 5am start turned out.
- toss and turn all night, cause i got half baked on fat tire last night, and didn't make/rub the ribs, thinking about all i have to do
- 5am comes, hit snooze, hit snooze, hit snooze - 5:30 get up.
- make rub - the ingredients were out, and ready. 5:40, all done.
- start dressing the ribs - the silver skin came off nice and easy. one of the mysteries of the rib
- break time - 10-100
- 6:20 - get the batch of charcoal started, clean the smoker, start getting the ribs organized.
- 6:50 - ribs are on - time to clean up (which i haven't done yet)

i'm going to need a nap - also managed to tweak my groin getting into bed last night. wtf. sucks to get old.

qclabrat

taking off the rib membrane is like edging a lawn, doesn't take much to get it done, but many skip it, though know it's the right thing to do. .

Patrick

Staff member
ribs on for 8 hours - came out damn tasty!
shoulder went for almost 10 - it didn't pull as easy as usual, but i typically transfer it to a crock pot for a bunch of hours
in apple juice/veg stock.

again no pictures...i should get on that.

rick81721

Lothar
ribs on for 8 hours - came out damn tasty!
shoulder went for almost 10 - it didn't pull as easy as usual, but i typically transfer it to a crock pot for a bunch of hours
in apple juice/veg stock.

again no pictures...i should get on that.

Ribs must've been great - they were gone by the time we got there. Pulled pork was excellent tho! Great party, too!

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
This is my camping smoker, 18 inch jumbo joe. Doing pulled pork hot and fast. I cooked it with compitition Kingsford and apple wood. 275 temps. I cook it to 160 internal temps, then wrap it. Pull it off at 190 195. finished pictures to follow. recommend the maverick thermometer, it has 2 probes, one for the grill temp and one for the meat.tmp_3525-20160903_1526192065930890.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Post- smoke picture fail, but ribs was awesome.

Smoked kielbasa appetizer
image.jpg
Ribs
image.jpg

Jalapeño bacon mac and cheese
image.jpg
Not pictured: collard greens with bacon and onions.
Was purty good.

chuprinko

I made my own verticle smoker from an old Audio cabinet a company was tossing out. Lined with 3/4 " insulation and sealed. Use a andjustable propane burner, with a heavy cast iron plate above the fames to help balance the temp. Use wood chips in steel holders for smoke above the metal plate. Its about 4.5 ft tall. Can easily fit 4 full oven racks, so usually do 2 8lb pork shoulders and 4-8 racks of ribs, eat some and vacuum seal and freeze the rest.
Also love doing smoked salmon, trout, and local lake lake salmon from lake aeroflex.
Haven't posted pics here yet, but will see if I can.
Usually use apple wood for pork products and mix of woods for beef products. Alder and apple or cherry for salmon.
I use two electric burners for temps below 140 for fish.
Also made my own cold smoke generator from an old martini shaker for smoking cheese and jerky.
See if this pic works.
Think i better get out and ride tomorrow, this post is making me hungry.
20160131_122720.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
I made my own verticle smoker from an old Audio cabinet a company was tossing out. Lined with 3/4 " insulation and sealed. Use a andjustable propane burner, with a heavy cast iron plate above the fames to help balance the temp. Use wood chips in steel holders for smoke above the metal plate. Its about 4.5 ft tall. Can easily fit 4 full oven racks, so usually do 2 8lb pork shoulders and 4-8 racks of ribs, eat some and vacuum seal and freeze the rest.
Also love doing smoked salmon, trout, and local lake lake salmon from lake aeroflex.
Usually use apple wood for pork products and mix of woods for beef products. Alder and apple or cherry for salmon.
Also made my own cold smoke generator from an old martini shaker for smoking cheese and jerky.
See if this pic works.
View attachment 40266

Winner!

i've thrown out more computer cabinets that i could have done this......brilliant.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
This is my camping smoker, 18 inch jumbo joe. Doing pulled pork hot and fast. I cooked it with compitition Kingsford and apple wood. 275 temps. I cook it to 160 internal temps, then wrap it. Pull it off at 190 195. finished pictures to follow. recommend the maverick thermometer, it has 2 probes, one for the grill temp and one for the meat.View attachment 40212

Sorry no pictures, I always forget

qclabrat

See if this pic works.
View attachment 40266
nice use of thick sheet metal, how much does it weigh after the mods?
and how did you manage to keep the door tight? you'll need to post a closeup of that cool martini mod

Top Bottom