Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Good to hear but I'm a little confused. Last week we came down Cherry Ridge (from Rockedendron) to the first right onto Red Dot. In the past this would bring us out to the rock bridge. The trail was covered with blowdowns where there were trees on top of trees on top of trees. We tried to walk around but it seemed hopeless and figured a) it would take an army of sawyers a yr to fix this and b) that this trail may never be re-opened. I must have missed something somewhere. Is it the 2nd right onto Re Dot that is clear?

double pond a little muddy but some nice rock bridges along the right side of the trail keep things moving-best conditions i've seen in a long time- all the roots are dry and the climbs have good traction

Conditions at Wawayanda were pretty good today. The trails are pretty dry considering how much rain we had during the week.

I rode the 2013 Bearscat 50 course. There's an inch or two of water running over parts of the rock bridge on Pumphouse, but it was passable.

There's a tree down on the eastern leg of Red Dot, just north of Nature Jim's Bridge and another tree down on Red Dot just south of the bridge. They're not difficult to get around, but you have to dismount.

The fire roads have some water on them, especially Old Coal near the gas cut, but everything was rideable.

trails are in decent shape. there's a big tree down at the top of red dot near the cherry ridge entrance. the top of pines is pretty much not rideable unless you enjoy being cut to shreds by thorn bushes. same goes for the start of tombstone and rattlesnake from the pipeline. and i do mean you'll be shredded...:mad:

Just incase anyone is riding today, most trails have been cleared of spider webs :eek:. As for pricker bushes, you are on your own :cry:.

rode today and there's good news and bad. the good news is that most of the trails seem to be in pretty good shape. there's a downed tree on sitting bear, a couple on turkey ridge and i think one on pines. nothing major.

the bad news is that red dot is a trainwreck. completely unrideable from the twin bridges intersection (coming from the furnace) to where the brand new red dot trail section is cut. counted (and climbed over) at least 5 big fallen trees, and there's debris everywhere. no idea why the storm damage was concentrated in this area, but it is:mad:

red dot has been cleared of blow downs and is open from double pond to cherry ridge road. sitting bear is also clear.

red dot has been cleared of blow downs and is open from double pond to cherry ridge road. sitting bear is also clear.

awesome thanks! looks great!

just an fyi and heads up to anyone trying to cross the pipeline via old coal. looks like they did work on the pipeline last week as heavy machinery was in the area. that super muddy section just before the pipeline has been completely obliterated. the rock bridge is gone, the makeshift wooden planks are gone, everything is gone. just a massive pit of mud. how deep you ask? yesterday i tried to cross to the left, where i *thought* the rock bridge had been. got stuck in mud up to my waist. took 15 min and a bit of panic to get out of that disaster. oh, and the mud has a faint but distinct aroma of raw sewerage somehow :(

Any locals have a report? I was thinking of getting up here tomorrow, Thanks.

Drove around up there today - Jungle too - a dusting to coating of snow and below freezing temps all day . Should be frozen solid ground

Good riding conditions at Waway today. 1/2" of fresh snow and ground frozen solid. A few ice patches here and there.

anyone been out since the last snowfall? wondering how much is on the trails and conditions (I don't have a fat bike).

Might be OK on the rocky trails on south facing hills. I'd assume the north facing stuff still has some snow.

I went for a hike there today with my wife. It was a good chance to scout the trail conditions for riding. We started up north at the top end of Pumphouse and went south to Boulder Garden, back to Pumphouse, down to the newly marked South-End trail to Sitting Bear to Wingdam and back across the north end of the lake to the start. Granted this is not my usual starting point (usually start on Cherry Ridge) nor does it include many of other nice south side single-tracks.

But, here is what I saw...

...the only dirt was on the north end of the lake. Otherwise it was anything from a sheet of ice to hard pack snow loaded with foot holes from hikers. The snow cover ranged from 1" to 6" deep still, with only a rare bare spot. Because of the colder weather today and likely tomorrow, it was hardening up and I could walk on top of the snow in most places, only poking through occasionally. But, again, there were tons of foot holes everywhere.

As much as I want to say its ride-able, the truth is...it would probably kind of suck. If you want to fight your way through, then I guess go for it on Monday/Tuesday while its cold. Or, wait it out for some more meltdown.

Hope that helps you decide.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions