Wawayanda State Park Conditions

crash

The NJ1K club has great pictures of the split rock trail and associated description:
Although Boulder Pine Peak is officially trailless, there is an unmarked, yet maintained, path that leads to the summit. The easiest route to the summit begins at the parking area at Bearfort Waters. Following the Old Coal Trail, hikers will pass by hemlock groves, fern patches and former homesteads. The turn-off for the summit spur trail is marked by a sign indicating "Split Rock". The wood bridge and the lemon squeeze makes this a very cool ride.http://www.nj1k.org/mountain/?id=45

jimf

Jim,

Thanx for the tips. I always heed the beta from the locals.

I also expect to find some wet areas on this labyrinth of networked trails. (“Wawayanda” is Lenape for “winding, winding water” or “water on the mountain”.)

I am trying to construct a route from your jpg.

Start at Old Coal Trailhead off of Clinton Road. Red Blaze.
At about .5 mile, the trail splits. Bearfort Waters Trail, Yellow Blaze, splits to the left. Continue on Red Blaze to the right.

Shortly after this, pass an unmarked woods road on your right.
Where does this end up? I think near the neighborhood on Cherry Ridge Road.

Continue straight on Old Coal Trail which is now marked with standard Issue Wawayanda Trail markings, a red diamond.

Pass another unmarked trail on your left (marked with a cairn). No name? Where does this end up or start out?

Then some stone walls/fences, then right after that, and another unnamed trail on your right, again marked with a cairn. Where does this end up?
Does it make it all the way Cherry Ridge Trail. Marked with the familiar black diamond.

At about 1.4 mile, there is a trail on the left with a sign “Thirsty Dog”. Where does this end up or start at?

Shortly after that, there is another trail on the left with a sign “Split Rock”. Where did you pick on your ride?

Then another trail named “Buddha” is on your left.
Where does that end up or start at?

At about 1.7 miles, intersect with green diamond Turkey Ridge Trail on your left – marked with familiar green diamond.

Who named these trails?

My image was resized to the point were its hard to see some of the landmarks, lake lookout is hard to see and I cut the map at an unusual spot as well.

I came from the Furnace as opposed to Clinton road, Thristy dog is at the end of the Turkey Ridge and ends on a rock table with a great view. Budda is at the top of the left fork of Turkey Ridge. Split rock will put you out on Feber rd and eventually get you to the Cherry ridge/Banker circle.

Look at the map Bleeder put up in this thread 10/24, its really detailed and accurate.

The NJ1K club has great pictures of the split rock trail and associated description:
Although Boulder Pine Peak is officially trailless, there is an unmarked, yet maintained, path that leads to the summit. The easiest route to the summit begins at the parking area at Bearfort Waters. Following the Old Coal Trail, hikers will pass by hemlock groves, fern patches and former homesteads. The turn-off for the summit spur trail is marked by a sign indicating "Split Rock". The wood bridge and the lemon squeeze makes this a very cool ride.http://www.nj1k.org/mountain/?id=45

The majority of the photos are from splitrock trail, great stuff

crash

Thank you for the information.

I also saw some nice photos posted by the BTCNJ, who could probably ride Wawa blindfolded, and by "Huffster" on http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1359947, who does a good job mapping way points with photos.

And I agree. I think Split Rock probably competes with the Ringwood to Ramapo Red Trail as the best point to point trail in the Highlands Region.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I also saw some nice photos posted by the BTCNJ, who could probably ride Wawa blindfolded

Thank You!
For a mid-priced camera that's been through some crashes, it takes decent photos.
Blindfolded might be a stretch, but I've been on some exhilarating night rides there.

crash

Yup. That is your photo gallery. That is one crazy maze of trails back there.
Back in 1995 I did the 24 hours of Canaan Valley, WV which featured a night lap. Both my primary and secondary lighting systems failed on a moonless night. I poached from the riders next to me. I realized then that back country skiing at night is far safer than blindly falling into ditches and hollows, riding into trees. Snow softens the blow.

crash

I looked up the mining history of this area, since most of the trails throughout places like Ringwood, Mahlon, Allamuchy, and Wawayanda were originally cut to support hauling timber, coal making hence the Old Coal Road, and iron ore extraction, with Dams like the one on Double Pond supplying the water wheel power to fire up the kilns.

http://www.mindat.org/maps.php?id=12981 shows the location of the Utter mine, which I think is mis-marked on the unofficial map, was really serviced by the Thirsty Dog trail. It also shows the Carey mine which was serviced by the woods road at the opposite the Banker Kiosk.

If NJ wasn't so bankrupt, maybe one day the rangers could open up terrain and put in some history signs at these landmark digs.

Panhead

I looked up the mining history of this area, since most of the trails throughout places like Ringwood, Mahlon, Allamuchy, and Wawayanda were originally cut to support hauling timber, coal making hence the Old Coal Road, and iron ore extraction, with Dams like the one on Double Pond supplying the water wheel power to fire up the kilns.

http://www.mindat.org/maps.php?id=12981 shows the location of the Utter mine, which I think is mis-marked on the unofficial map, was really serviced by the Thirsty Dog trail. It also shows the Carey mine which was serviced by the woods road at the opposite the Banker Kiosk.

If NJ wasn't so bankrupt, maybe one day the rangers could open up terrain and put in some history signs at these landmark digs.

Most iron mines in North Jersey aren't worth tagging. Some of them were just following the vein down so the entrance is only a couple feet wide. Best way to locate the mine now is to find the tailings pile. There is a good mine off Iron Mountain Road in the park. Last time I went by there it was fenced off and really caving in.

I did a mine tour in Sterling Forest, we hit 19 mines within about 3 miles.

crash

It would have been nice if they built a trail that traced the line from south to north from the Clinton Furnace through the Wallace, Rutherford, Stigler, Utter, Carey, Green, Wawayanda, and Centennial Openings on the NY State Line. But your assessment is probably accurate. Nothing to get excited except the great riding.

jimf

Conditions as of 11/27

Did a quick afternoon loop today(sitting bear -> white dot -> pickle -> tombstone -> pines -> pickle -> white dot -> sitting bear), overall conditions were great, places that you would expect to be wet, were. Someone was out on Sitting Bear and White Dot with a leaf blower recently, those trails were clear of all leaves and in the best conditions I can recall since the rains started on August 1st.

crash

Thanx again for the update. I wanted to head over to pines, tombstone, and rattlesnake and turkey ridge before it rains again.

And here is a shout out to the helpful Cat 1 rider I ran into on Saturday who confirmed I was indeed on Porcupine. Nice trail. And a nice but punishing hike on Rockodendron back to Cherry Ridge Trail. Very Jurassic Park in there. Next time I will take the right at the T, and circle back via banker.

aedubber

Hey Crash what is the terrain like compared to ringwood/ramapo ? Never benn to this place and it's close by me too .

crash

I ride both regularly but the disclaimer is that I am old, slow, and worn out by now that both regularly kick my butt. The payoff is having the lungs and legs to still do the hike 'ems at Alta and Silverton, CO during ski season.

If you like the Blue Skylands Trail (blue) at Ringwood - Try the Split Rock Trail at Wawa
If you like the Ramapo to Ringwood Trail (red) including Warm Puppy at Ringwood - Try Buddha, Pines, and Rattlesnake Trail at Wawa.
If you like the Ramapo to Ringwood Trail (red) after Warm Puppy and the trails like Cats Nest and Six Bridges at Ringwood - Try the Red Dot and Porcupine Trails at Wawa.
If you like the nice long climbs on the carriage roads (white) at Ringwood, to the associated overlooks of Bear Swamp Lake - Try the Cherry Ridge Trail to the White Dot trails at Wawa.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Jim,

Thanx for the tips. I always heed the beta from the locals.

I also expect to find some wet areas on this labyrinth of networked trails. (“Wawayanda” is Lenape for “winding, winding water” or “water on the mountain”.)

I am trying to construct a route from your jpg.

Start at Old Coal Trailhead off of Clinton Road. Red Blaze.
At about .5 mile, the trail splits. Bearfort Waters Trail, Yellow Blaze, splits to the left. Continue on Red Blaze to the right.

Shortly after this, pass an unmarked woods road on your right.
Where does this end up? I think near the neighborhood on Cherry Ridge Road.

Continue straight on Old Coal Trail which is now marked with standard Issue Wawayanda Trail markings, a red diamond.

Pass another unmarked trail on your left (marked with a cairn). No name? Where does this end up or start out?

Then some stone walls/fences, then right after that, and another unnamed trail on your right, again marked with a cairn. Where does this end up?
Does it make it all the way Cherry Ridge Trail. Marked with the familiar black diamond.

At about 1.4 mile, there is a trail on the left with a sign “Thirsty Dog”. Where does this end up or start at?

Shortly after that, there is another trail on the left with a sign “Split Rock”. Where did you pick on your ride?

Then another trail named “Buddha” is on your left.
Where does that end up or start at?

At about 1.7 miles, intersect with green diamond Turkey Ridge Trail on your left – marked with familiar green diamond.

Who named these trails?

God bless Nature Jim.

JerseyPete

Sunday Feb 26 2012

Conditions were crunchy.
Picture 036s.jpg

A couple of inches of snow on the ground.

1x1

Nice riding in way-way today. Just wanted to put it out there that there is a MONSTER tree down on Hemlock & Load near the pipeline. Gonna need some big chainsaw action.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Rode today and conditions were super! Trails mostly dry and super lush out there from all the rain. Ferns are over the handlebars in some places ... so cool. Enjoy it while you can! :D

JerseyPete

July 7 Saturday

July 7, Damn bugs had me for breakfast. They showed no mercy. Trails were pretty dry and it was hot, but damn those bugs.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions