Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Trail MX?

Anyone know when some trail cleaning and maintenance for wawayanda is planned for this spring?

Put me down.

rode waway yesterday morning, about 7 miles. all trails snow covered 3-5+" Very difficult but mostly rideable on fat tires. It was really beautiful out there with all the snow cover, especially the trails with no foot traffic. I did not see any evidence of biking since the last snowfall.

Attachments

• IMG_0167x.jpg
    IMG_0167x.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0159x.jpg
    IMG_0159x.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0160x.jpg
    IMG_0160x.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0164x.jpg
    IMG_0164x.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 232
^^ cool! Good on ya for trying. I didn't realize there was so much snow still up there. Would you say it was firm? or crunchy/soft? I have off this week, might try to give it a go on the Muk if you think it's worth it.

Conditions changed during the ride. I started at 28F and there was a thin crusty top that broke under the bike weight to a powder base. Later when it rose above freezing it all became very slippery and squishy. I would recommend giving it a try if you don't mind putting in some work. Definitely make sure it is frozen at the start though. Also, factor in the storm coming tonight. That could result in a big change to overall conditions. If you go please post a report.

I rode there this morning from about 8:00 - 11:00a. Its still got a fair amount of snow. Conditions range from bare dirt/leaves up to about 2-3" of snow in some places. Because of all the snow still on the ground it is not that muddy. Its definitely manageable or I wouldn't have ridden for 3 hours. The snow was not crunch, more like quicksand. So, its melting. In another week it'll probably be gone and the mud factor will be increased.

I second that. We're doing an adventure race there this weekend.

I hit a nice loop on Sunday, there is a good bit of snow and ice on some of the trails but nothing that had a signficant impact on my ride. I only mention it as I was surprised that there was any snow at all.

I parked at the Ranger Station and rode Hoferlein to Double Pond up Laural into Sitting Bear, left on the new trail off sitting bear(easy to miss, but obvious if you look for it) to Pumphouse back to Ranger Station via Double Pond and Hoferlein. Rock bridges on Double Pond and Pumphouse were in good shape and I do not recall any trees down with the exception of the begining of Hoferlein. Overall in great shape. I expect double pond will be a mess once the ice melts, it helped on Sunday but I would avoid that area this weekend.

Beautiful day at Wawayanda today.
Rode: Banker Circle - Porqpine - Rockadendron - Banker Trail - Plymouth - Hoeferlin - Black Eagle - Wingdam - Sitting Bear - Mojo - Hemlock and Load - Pickle - Up Tombstone - Down Pines - Turkey Ridge - Buddha - Split Rock

The trails are in surprisingly good shape.
They are a little tacky in spots. Hemlock and Load has a few damper areas, like up the climb near the gas cut, but overall the trails are reasonably dry and the snow is gone from the trails.

I hadn't been there in over a month, I noticed today that a few remaining fallen trees were cleared from either Hoeferlin or Black Eagle (thanks for that!).

Hopefully we won't get too much rain tomorrow am. Then things should be good for the weekend.

I hit a nice loop on Sunday, there is a good bit of snow and ice on some of the trails but nothing that had a signficant impact on my ride. I only mention it as I was surprised that there was any snow at all.

I parked at the Ranger Station and rode Hoferlein to Double Pond up Laural into Sitting Bear, left on the new trail off sitting bear(easy to miss, but obvious if you look for it) to Pumphouse back to Ranger Station via Double Pond and Hoferlein. Rock bridges on Double Pond and Pumphouse were in good shape and I do not recall any trees down with the exception of the begining of Hoferlein. Overall in great shape. I expect double pond will be a mess once the ice melts, it helped on Sunday but I would avoid that area this weekend.

speak to me about this new trail off of sitting bear. i found it late last year, but i got to some sort of pipeline and it looked like the trail just stopped. is it easy to find and stay on now?

speak to me about this new trail off of sitting bear. i found it late last year, but i got to some sort of pipeline and it looked like the trail just stopped. is it easy to find and stay on now?

When looking at the pipe by the stream it looks like the end of the trail. Cross the pipeline, stay right and then cross the stream, the trail leads you back to a double track, make a left on that and it will lead you to pumphouse double track. Right takes you around the lake to the bathhouse by the beach. Left will take you to cabin trail.

I rode there today and it was in great shape. A few snowy/icy patches, but all dry and ridable. Did: wall, mojo, hemlock, pickle, tombstone, rattlesnake, porcupine and rockadendron (had the most snow).

Red Dot by Nature Jim's Bridge is impassable. there is a huge tree down just after the bridge, and then another huge one down about 200 feet past that. had to turn around and go back

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions