Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes please explain. And congratulations on a fine performance on a hot fkn day.

IMG_5813.PNG
Who cares, it's got hydraulic lockout

Good job Dave

So, despite feeling tired from crappy sleeping I feel great on the bike. Originally at 217lbs in January, down to 189 by may and back up to 198...-I'm back down to 193.5 today. Hoping I can get below 185 by Wilderness on July 29.
My season started out slow after training with Arias(global elite coaching) but despite a mechanical at Mohican my last three races have been everything I hoped for. I've been feeling strong and still making tons of PRs/top tens on my training rides.
I am going away to my parent's house in Pa. this weekend. Hoping to log two long tempo rides followed by a peter pounder pre ride Tuesday. Next weekend is a double header at Fairhill Classic Saturday and port jervis Sunday. The following week is Stew 45 singlespeed and two weeks after that is wilderness 101. I am racing these short races to keep my redline up. Racing these NUEs you still need to be able to turn it up. I plan to be a contender this year. August will consist of some rest but not losing it all as I am doing Shenandoah on Sept 3. Cranks around the campfire and maybe SOS as an XC race.
Many thanks to all my riding buddies and mentors, especially @JohnA at Global elite coaching. @Riggedfmx (best man friend ever), @pooriggy for always setting the race pace high and breaking my balls relentlessly. The whole CR Thursday crew and @UtahJoe because this Top Fu FS SS is tits. I mean it's the hands down best ss bike I have ridden. 22lbs and I never need to lock it out....
Sorry for the book, just feeling the stoke...

IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
Well, I pounded Point Peter hard, 5 sec less hard than @pooriggy unfortunately. But man did I feel great at that race. I went into it feeling a little blah after helping @Riggedfmx move on Saturday in all that heat. I tried hydrating, 2 qts Gatorade, a sodium pill, lots of water but ultimately I think the 2 MILLER lites did the trick. I still felt mixed during the full lap pre ride with Montellbano but between @JohnA 's coaching and Monty 's ss do or die wisdom I went with 32/18 gearing(I was gonna run 32/20.). Ended up being the perfect gear.
Race time. It starts out Pro, 30-39,40-49, SS etc with what seemed like two min. between. Well I hope shot and pinned it, backing off just enough to not blow up but not let @pooriggy or @Uzzi_SL get by before the single track. I rode fast but smooth into the pro section but "managed the race so I could recover. On the second part of the first climb Iggy asks to go by and I tell him "I should do what you do to me on every climb" (block me if he's slower or bobbles) but I said "I won't because I'm a nice guy" and let him by. We caught the tail end of gears and on the fire road climb I hustled the hill and gapped Iggy a hair but he recovered quicker and was all over me til the end of the first lap. I led the lap but not without falling for his bait/sprint to try and lead the first lap. I won the sprint but he passed right after and led into the woods. I knew Jaime was close so I recovered but rode smart, smooth and steady. I saw Jaime once at the beginning of first lap but was feeling good again and knew I was building a gap. About 1/2 mile before the flag pole climb i see Iggy about 800 feet away or so. I start putting in an effort as I was feeling great. I get to the flag pole climb and see him rolling over the top(500' maybe?). I mashed that climb , sprinted down the road and blasted the 2 min segment of single track blowing out turns I was trying so hard. I got to the road and saw Iggy in front about 150' feet away. With a geared guy behind me I did the biggest sprint of my life up that hill but fell 5 sec short and had to settle for second. What a great feeling to battle with greats like Chris and Jaime. We did some fist bumps n hand shakes and finished off the day at the pizzeria on front street. A nice cold beer and some slices hit the spot!
This was the first race where I felt like a contender, where I could battle and not just fall off...let's see what I have for the Stew45 this weekend and Wilderness 101 in 3 weeks.
Thanks to the my awesome family, CR Thursday crew, John Arias Global Elite Coaching , Tony, Iggy, Monty, Jaime and everyone else who pushes me, trains with, motivates me or creates rivalries...man is racing fun...especially with one speed!

On the second part of the first climb Iggy asks to go by and I tell him "I should do what you do to me on every climb" (block me if he's slower or bobbles) but I said "I won't because I'm a nice guy" and let him by. We caught the tail end of gears and on the fire road climb I hustled the hill and gapped Iggy a hair but he recovered quicker and was all over me til the end of the first lap. I led the lap but not without falling for his bait/sprint to try and lead the first lap. I won the sprint but he passed right after and led into the woods.

I block you on every climb?
Every time I passed you Sunday it was because you went too hard on a section and could not recover.
I was content with giving you enough rope to hang yourself, as long as I kept sight of you I did not need to blow myself up. Before the finish of the 1st lap I was right on your wheel in the twisty section and wanted to pass then but opted to sit in and rest before the road Sprint to the top. I knew you would not let me go in the twisties so I saved my gas and gapped you after you "won" the road Sprint to the top.
You have to race smart, not just hard. For example, I burped air in my rear tire less then halfway through lap 2. I knew you where pretty close behind me and I could not afford to stop for a shot of CO2. At this point I was feeling my back tire bottoming out on rocks, so I had to be conservative on the downhills to keep my tire on but drilled it on the climbs.

You are really strong Dave and I should not be giving you this advice to use against me next year. Learn how to conserve that power yet keep speed, grasshopper.

I block you on every climb?
Every time I passed you Sunday it was because you went too hard on a section and could not recover.
I was content with giving you enough rope to hang yourself, as long as I kept sight of you I did not need to blow myself up. Before the finish of the 1st lap I was right on your wheel in the twisty section and wanted to pass then but opted to sit in and rest before the road Sprint to the top. I knew you would not let me go in the twisties so I saved my gas and gapped you after you "won" the road Sprint to the top.
You have to race smart, not just hard. For example, I burped air in my rear tire less then halfway through lap 2. I knew you where pretty close behind me and I could not afford to stop for a shot of CO2. At this point I was feeling my back tire bottoming out on rocks, so I had to be conservative on the downhills to keep my tire on but drilled it on the climbs.

You are really strong Dave and I should not be giving you this advice to use against me next year. Learn how to conserve that power yet keep speed, grasshopper.
All in good fun Iggy. It just seems that when I come up to pass you on a hill in training or a race(which is rare) like Blue your bike falls sideways. I don't care as the best man wins, you won yesterday. I am able to go out harder now than I did at wayway yet recover. At wayway I lost 15 min because I didn't recover. I do not want to grow in baby steps. If you don't blow up here n there your aren't really riding to your potential. I'd be curious to see you race pro. I think in 2-3 races you would be top 5. Also, I want to win these xC races but in reality they are training races this year for my NUEs and endurance stuff. Hopefully you will see a different DT Sunday. And I will always pick on you since you called me a fluffer. I am happy with my first year in cat 1 and third year racing bikes. Cheers.

I think you and Iggy are both lucky that I got old and a Afib, thats what I have to say about this. Otherwise you 2 fluffers would be bitchin about me..
I do miss hammerin them out with you Mitch, not that we did that much but I remember the day I met our and you claiming up double climb at Hartshorne on the Mitch gear(34/17). Beast.

Good read, I never got to the point on the MTB where I had to race smart in Cat 1, but it sounds like you have rather quickly. I was always balls out for 90% of the race until I realized I was either in no mans land, or fighting against one or two people to win that group.

I was able to find that elixir when racing in cross though. Knowing your competition and your abilities is huge. It seems iggy's got your figured out, now its up to you to either learn the game or be strong enough to ride away from him.

I'm excited to see you recapping still, I've been inspired and have only ridden my singlespeed for the last 3 months.

It sounds like @pooriggy vs @David Taylor is the second coming of @pearl vs @Dusty the Whale? We need dis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom