Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Good luck!
you'll crush it - go with your gear selection, you've pictured yourself running it. now do it.

xc62701

Echoing what @pearl said. Can't imagine pushing that gear, for that distance, on those climbs. Especially Stillhouse Hollow Rd. at Mile 69. Have a great race and good luck. Looking forward to reading the race recap.

W101%20Profile%202017.png
Wow they definitely tweaked the course a bit this year. There will be some unknown trails out there in the course. Sweet!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
Post Wilderness 101. What a killer eevent! I arrived with @Riggedfmx at around 2:15pm on friday, met with @Rigidnsingle and John Lewer and we pre rode til the beginning of Fisherman's Trail. Of course I slip a foot on a rock and toss my back out! I limp back and do everything I can to try and straighten it out but no Advil can help me. So I deal with it, get all the drop bags ready and head over to Elk Creek brewery/restaurant in town for some chow. I try to be good and not drink for ten minutes but peer pressure gets me and I have two mild beers with dinner. This turns into a full BS session as we see Lucky , Sven and @xc62701 from Hilltop and start shooting the shit. Luckily after a bad week leading up to Stew45 I learn a bit and chug a whole bunch of Nuun infused water during the week.
Race day: I wake up several times to downpours and thunderboomers but besides my air mattress floating in my tent I am surprisingly dry. It poured all night! 5:15 comes and Chris gets it going with the light gong tap. My back still sucks but I try some stretch my wife suggested and it still sucks but I hope the opening 5 mile climb will fix it...and some how it does. I feel great! So great that I go and catch @Rigidnsingle just to ride with him for a bit(he's riding tempo at like 100 bpm however and I am at xc race pace around 175 with spikes of 182. I rol with him through maybe the first 20 miles or so before I need to back off. I was definitely going a bit hard(what else is new?). So I back it off but proceed through most of the race changing spots with Alan Verdun and @xc62701 . I was good on climbs but man does Ryan hammer the tech and downhills! Somewhere after aid station 4 at the top of Stillhouse I lose touch and get in a bad way. I didn't bonk but was all alone for the rest of the race. I think I briefly road with one geared bike for 3 or 4 miles but man was there a grindy ass climb between aid 4 and 5 not to mentiin that was a huge distance gap between aid stations. At one point I was in a lull on the hill at 3 mph when a group went by ne near the top. It wasn't til this happened that I knew I needed to go. I got my speed back up and made it to the last aid station.
12 miles to go: I grab two more bottles, slam a 12 oz red bull I had with me, take a gu and hammer the 5 miles of flat before the last climb. I get to the climb and grind up it, no records here but no jumping off. This is followed by two miles of super fast gnarly downhill jeep trail before Fisherman's trail(hike a bike). This is the last 4 miles o the race and I go as hard as I can peaking here n there but I seriously rode the last 30 mikes with almost no one. I cross at 101.3 miles in 8:51.44. 37 minutes better than last year.
Race notes: A new and dark ass tunnel that you can't see a thing in except for the wall reflection. @Riggedfmx did his first hundred in 9:11(thought he was gonna dnf and be pissed at me but he trooped through. @Rigidnsingle is a beast finishing at 7:56 or so. Alan Verdun in just over 9 hours, John Lewer and Keith Renfroe in just around 9:30. @xc62701 around 8:47 . Lucky finished around 13 hours but not dfl. Sven attempted but dnfed. Post race beer was phenomenal(probably 15 of them) as well as burgers n s(6 and 2?). I went into the race a bit heavier than planned which I paid for with over 11,000' of vert. Happy with my finish but I def need to start these a touch easier. Now onto Shenandoah next month.
This last month or two has been stressful with work, training and my mother and father both being sick. Managing this with two young guys at home and always working in the heat is tough but I feel like @JohnA has really kept me on par with training/recovery. Very happy with Global Elite Coaching.

JDurk

Great job man. Bucket list race for me. I like riding those trails over 5 days instead of all in 1 day.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job, knocking off that much time from last year is impressive. My hat goes off to you guys doing 100 miles on a mtb, just finishing is awesome.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Nice job, knocking off that much time from last year is impressive. My hat goes off to you guys doing 100 miles on a mtb, just finishing is awesome.
What's really amazing is a guy like Gordon Wadsworth who can some how spin with the top geared guys on these long and fast fire roads with a 32/19. These aren't normal geared guys but guys like Brian schworm who just beat galletta in the nats and Jeremiah Bishop who is a former olympian. How do you do that?! I averaged 11.4mph and he was like 14+! Insane.

huffster

Very impressive! Congratulations on finishing and improving your time. This is something I don't even dream of doing. I put in 15 miles and I'm beat. But, mad respect for the prep and punishment you all put in to compete in these long events.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job DT! Pretty sure my body would implode at about 40miles. Now can you do something about that bottle boner please? I think that illegal in most stats to have it out like that lol. Seriously tho, what kind of mount is that?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Nice job DT! Pretty sure my body would implode at about 40miles. Now can you do something about that bottle boner please? I think that illegal in most stats to have it out like that lol. Seriously tho, what kind of mount is that?
Lol. I thought I'd get some comments right after taking the pic. It's a king Ti cage on a Kin cage fork tube cage mount bracket. It never thought about dropping a bottle on any of the gnarly downhills. And it's super easy to access.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So I'm resting this week, yay! I have been feeling really good lately but with my two little guys I have been lacking sleep. I am still prepping for Shenandoah 100 on sept 3 and put a good solid ride in yesterday with @Riggedfmx. Going to try and make the TM at Chimney Rock this week and basically just catch up on some house and family stuff.
My plan from here on out is to lay off the booze for a while again and hopefully drop ten-twelve pounds before Shen. After that I will be in the gym building a bit, some trail running and hopefully getting stronger as I have commited to Erie 80 again and most likely redemption at Cathedral Pines. Some courses I hate because they are like road courses but at the same time you can't let a course defeat you...CP won the battle last year as that was my only DNF ever. Now, do I do a team effort or gears/ss in the solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom