Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
IMG_6212.JPG
IMG_6214.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG
Some pics...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
sometimes keeping your equipment in check is better than being faster. good work!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6204.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6240.JPG
IMG_6243.JPG
Well, SSP and Mohican are my next two races. Things are going good so far. Coming up on a month with no alcohol and I am down to 191.5lb(from 217 on Jan 1st). I have been getting more sleep and feel a lot better than 3 weeks ago. Was able to finish most of my landscaping, pull the wife's weekend car out of the garage and finally reorganize my organized mess of a garage. This feels great, the overwhelming feeling of too much to do on top of a busy training schedule is gone. Hopeful that this season is turning around.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The Thursday CR ride burned a couple more lbs off. 189.5 this am. I haven't seen this number since high school. I will be 40 in 2 months...this feels like hard work and discipline are paying off.

jackx

The Thursday CR ride burned a couple more lbs off. 189.5 this am. I haven't seen this number since high school. I will be 40 in 2 months...this feels like hard work and discipline are paying off.
Holy crap. Way to go DT! Almost 30 pounds is a serious weight loss!!! You'll be glad you didn't bring that with you to Mohican.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6227.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG
Ahhhh.....Mohican 100 NUE was bitter sweet. I have been feeling really good on the bike the last few weeks. I lost touch with my diet for a week and a half or so. How easily one beer turns into many more in the matter of a week. I will tighten up starting tomorrow in hopes of hitting the low 180s by wilderness 101(July 29).I am currently back at 197ish.
So, the race. I camped with @Riggedfmx and Mike Montellbano. We visited @xc62701 site a couple times as well. Pre rode about 6 miles after arriving and decided 32/19 was good for me and I'm a spinner.
The start: I lined first row and headed into the woods at the end of about 5 miles rolling hills at the tail of group 2(maybe place 100ish of 700). No easy task but my secret weapon of the day letting me hit 44mph on decent son a rigid ss was the Sagan descent position on the top tube. On dirt or pavement this allowed me to continually real in geared bikes from far out.
First single track: First 15 miles or so is fast and flowy much like Lew Mo where it's tough to pass. I managed to get some spots and things came to me. I was feeling good. My bittersweet race started when my first endurance/meal bottle popped out and I left it rather than picking it up. Bad mistake not having calories and protein until mile 30.
Middle of the race: I lived off Heed, pbj sandwiches and watermelon until i could get my drop bag. After I got my bottles it took a while to come back as I was slightly dehydrated and almost bonked where the 100k/100mile split was. I survived the single track after the split but was in rough shape. After that I was at the next aid station and slammed some endurolytes and watermelon. I chugged a coke as well. Some how I managed to recover completely after having cramps at one point. But around mile 50-55 somewhere after walking up a muddy hill I noticed my left pedal felt bent. I thought it was a rock in my cleat but no, my crank cracked(note: race face next cranks are not made for men, only boys. This is now the fourth one I have broken in 3 months or so).
Middle to end of race: So now I was feeling good and was able to out spin a dude running 34/17 on 10 or more miles of rail trail. I guess I am a spinner and not a masher. I was able to climb but from mile 55 too 88 I hammered all the lesser grade long hills but had to jog anything steep, not because I couldn't climb it but I didn't want to break my crank. This sucks when you feel so good. I was trying to break 9 hours and feel I actually would have been closer to 8:35-8:45 if my cranking wasn't bitching out. Anyways, I gapped a whole bunch of geared and ss guys in the last 20 miles, passed the last aid station(about 5 or 6 miles from the end). As soon as I got in the woods I decided to push and about 5 pedal strokes in the crank broke off completely. So I managed to hikerun a bike for 2-3 miles up hill. I also did the one legged ss spin as often as I could but that's tough to ride because your foot hangs low and trying to hold my other leg in the air it started to cramp. One girl, about 5 geared bikes and 3 or 4 SSers got by me in the section before the finish. I still managed a 9:15 finishing time but my right leg is useless today. Redemption next year at Mohican!
Note: Great job by @xc62701 , @Riggedfmx Lucky and Thom from Hilltop as well as Mike Montelbano. These races are never easy and just finishing is an accomplishment. Now I will start training for Stew45 and Wilderness101.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave. Great work. Buy some shimano or hope cranks.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good Job DTT. While you're at it put a 34 up front and thank my in the morning. Keep up da good work.

xc62701

Good work out there man! I wish I rode a 9:15 on my first attempt there. That place is just magical. There's a reason I'm dying to go back there every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom