Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know when you want to set the single speed hard tail on fire, ill bring the diet root beer and the marshmallows

YESSSSS

A rivalry for us all to tune into! :popcorn:
IMG_7438.PNG

The last two weeks were mhhhhh. Mooch I tried something new, completely and it all worked horribly. Rigid, endurance formula in bottles, sinus infection, heart burn and a crazy gear combo(32/25). The gear choice was fine but everything else did me in including lack of sleep the last couple of weeks. I think I finished 6 of 10 maybe?
Yesterday at Waywayanda I was feeling pretty good. I felt good on the prolog rode and decided to lead into the woods. I lead til the top of the first long climb when Cima got by and checked out. I was leading down the following downhill with @Uzzi_SL behind me as well as James Louch. I stopped in the middle of the downhill thinking I missed a turn. WTF? They went by but ultimately we went through the finish line together. They both pulled a gap on me up the climb after finish but I felt good, pulled them back in and passed Louch before the rock garden. @Uzzi_SL made a couple bobbles and I was able to go by. I felt good, recovered and smooth and even opened a slight gap. Then wham, Over the bars twice about a min apart. I still managed out of the rock garden first but Jaime passed me on the hill exiting. I tried to latch on but in reality I blew up. I pushed through that lap and the last lap was horrible. Walking easier climbs, fatigue hit hard, upper body was spent. I recovered a bit and pushed til the finish but ultimately lost 11 min last lap. I was upheaving and almost didn't make it back to the car. The reality of it is I dehydrated myself bad. This never happened when I drank alcohol but now that I am not I let my guard down somehow. I was 196.6lb after breakfast and 192.2 lb when I got home from the race.
Hopefully chainstretcher will go good next week. French creek endurance after that.

Dave, have you ever considered a coach?
IMO you could really benefit from it, your all over the place and your game plan thus far has been like throwing darts, hit or miss...but mostly miss. You can get away with that in CAT 2 but CAT 1 is more competitive. You can continue the trial and error method but I think a coach could point you in the right direction.

Also listen to your body. You can't give 100% in a race if you are worn out from work and racing. Last time I looked you are signed up for pretty much every cycling event between now and December. Less is more. See you on the Thursday night ride.

Dave, have you ever considered a coach?
IMO you could really benefit from it, your all over the place and your game plan thus far has been like throwing darts, hit or miss...but mostly miss. You can get away with that in CAT 2 but CAT 1 is more competitive. You can continue the trial and error method but I think a coach could point you in the right direction.

Also listen to your body. You can't give 100% in a race if you are worn out from work and racing. Last time I looked you are signed up for pretty much every cycling event between now and December. Less is more. See you on the Thursday night ride.
I do have a coach this year. I have been rebuilding rom a blow out year last year. Because I had a race where I was sick and one where I made a mistake I am all over the place? I do have a coach and have been rebuilding. I think I have done pretty well considering. The tougher part is finding time with two kids and juggling work. I always want to do good but my big races this year are ssp, stew45, mohican and wilderness 100s. These short track and H2h races are for training. I just love to race though. I'd rather race than race a garmin all week. I do it but racing is more fun.

Tough course yesterday... Much tougher with a single speed..... Being Smooth and steady on a single speed, in a race with a lot of technical bits.....takes alot of practice.... Any time you are getting knocked around or basically doing anything outside of turning pedals and moving forward... Your burning energy... Race like that it just creeps up on you.

Also... Don't lead out yet.. I mean unless know you are going to smoke the field. Which should be never if you are in the right class. Cima is perfectly happy to sit behind you until you get tired and need a break. Nick Lando leads out bc he has enough power to break everyone in 3 min...Thats when you lead out.

Excitebike... Turbo button... Keep that in your head

do have a coach and have been rebuilding. I think I have done pretty well considering. The tougher part is finding time with two kids and juggling work. I always want to do good but my big races this year are ssp, stew45, mohican and wilderness
I didn't know you have a coach, it seemed to me you where doing the same thing as last year...go ballz out on everything, blow up, rinse repeat:)
Seriously, the hard part is trying to balance everything.

I didn't know you have a coach, it seemed to me you where doing the same thing as last year...go ballz out on everything, blow up, rinse repeat:)
Seriously, the hard part is trying to balance everything.
Actually I have been doing more inside training than anything. I think I actually haven't been balls out? Yesterday for sure but I wanted to lead a bit. I have had a tough time getting my hr out of the endurance zone. This week is intervals trying to refresh my upper end. I felt good leading. My own dumb fault letting myself get dehydrated yesterday is another story. You run out of fuel, you run out of horsepower. I think I rode ok at short track, Marty's race, fat tire beach race, Ringwood and so on. I am not a cat 1 veteran, this is my first season. Last year was hammer ride after hammer ride for 8 months solid before something had to give. Still paying for that but I did a lot of stuff people never do or mentally can't get themselves to do and am happy about that. Live and learn...enjoy life.

Get off the trainer.
Ride rocks.
Lead at end of race.
You are doing well for your 1st season in CAT 1. I sucked my 1st season in CAT 1.
But my point isI didn't start with a coach until he beginning of the year. I did a lot of strength training in gym until end of march. I was still lifting while racing short track and such and now transitioning. But these cat 1 races are training races for what I want to do good at this year. Next year will be more hectic with family so hopefully I can drop the endurance side and focus on short course stuff solely.Justbecause I didn't always listen when you spoke doesn't mean I don't appreciate your opinion. I do, I also like to try things out. I was jumping ramps on dirt bikes at the end of 2013.

I enjoy the watching you grow and post your lessons from mistakes. You'll look back years from now and be like "Ha, what an idiot I was".

I've never had a good race at waway, well except when I beat Dustin, but otherwise that place has my number. Maybe we suffer from the same issues lol

I enjoy the watching you grow and post your lessons from mistakes. You'll look back years from now and be like "Ha, what an idiot I was".

I've never had a good race at waway, well except when I beat Dustin, but otherwise that place has my number. Maybe we suffer from the same issues lol
I try to be open with myself. I know I am stubborn, but definitely not narrow minded. I am just starting to work with power. I have been stretching, foam rolling, super easy recovery rides etc. hopefully I amount to something one day.

Main thing keep it fun or you'll burn out and we will miss you.

Do as Iggy says cut back on races and ride more rocks.

T Bone, who is your coach?? Maybe @pooriggy needs to have a talk with him? Just sayin..

or maybe Iggy can be your coach? He accepts beer and Bitcoin.

Yesterday was a fantastic day. So close to a win but I will enjoy 2nd place. After blowing up/dehydrating at wayway I felt my fitness was good but I wasn't managing my races right. So I will break it down briefly...
I have been putting in a lot of hard work with @JohnA and global elite coaching. He has given me confidence despite me not feeling it. I have been building steady since January after having a crappy end of year to 2016.
I slept better but not great all week(no beer with two young boys on mommy' asleep schedule is tough. I have been taking Prilosec for my tight throat(ended up being heart burn). This helped lower the stress level during the week.
So, blue mountain chain stretcher race. If you have never ridden here do it! Awesome trails. Perhaps similar to a punchier, binder Kittatinny. I listened to peers this week. @pooriggy told me to ride more rocks so I did. @Uzzi_SL told me not to blow up so I didn't. I just had a great day. I climbed what many people walked, I rode smooth, started last but just controlled my HR. I didn't realize I was leading until @pooriggy got up to me. I rode three great laps considering my track record and had it not been for some cramping on the last half of the last lap I felt strong enough to make a pass back on @pooriggy but CRAMPS! I talked to my little chicken legs for a bit and they agreed not to make things worse and let me finish. I think I was a minute off first at the end of a LONG cat 1 ss race(2:23ish) and 2 minutes up on second. The course was wet but traction was good minus the couple muddy spots. Flats ruined the day for many, as this place demands smooth. Blue mountain is a phenomenal place for single speed ss.
Until next time...

Yesterday was a fantastic day. So close to a win but I will enjoy 2nd place. After blowing up/dehydrating at wayway I felt my fitness was good but I wasn't managing my races right. So I will break it down briefly...
I have been putting in a lot of hard work with @JohnA and global elite coaching. He has given me confidence despite me not feeling it. I have been building steady since January after having a crappy end of year to 2016.
I slept better but not great all week(no beer with two young boys on mommy' asleep schedule is tough. I have been taking Prilosec for my tight throat(ended up being heart burn). This helped lower the stress level during the week.
So, blue mountain chain stretcher race. If you have never ridden here do it! Awesome trails. Perhaps similar to a punchier, binder Kittatinny. I listened to peers this week. @pooriggy told me to ride more rocks so I did. @Uzzi_SL told me not to blow up so I didn't. I just had a great day. I climbed what many people walked, I rode smooth, started last but just controlled my HR. I didn't realize I was leading until @pooriggy got up to me. I rode three great laps considering my track record and had it not been for some cramping on the last half of the last lap I felt strong enough to make a pass back on @pooriggy but CRAMPS! I talked to my little chicken legs for a bit and they agreed not to make things worse and let me finish. I think I was a minute off first at the end of a LONG cat 1 ss race(2:23ish) and 2 minutes up on second. The course was wet but traction was good minus the couple muddy spots. Flats ruined the day for many, as this place demands smooth. Blue mountain is a phenomenal place for single speed ss.
Until next time...
Congratulations on a great race!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom