The Inevitable Relapse

Jeeping is really boating for people who hate boats.

I am neither a jeep nor a boat guy, but if ever a new signature was needed, the above is what you should change it to.

If I comment on the post can I still like it?

there are worse things to own than a jeep or boat to consume your hard earned $$$

you are a man that goes where your mind's eye pictures you. I have no doubt of success.

So you in a sense did what I have thought about doing, just completely stepping away from riding. One of my friends did this recently and I must admit it has crossed my mind at times. I'm not near that now though, and motivation is back on the green side.

How did you walk away from riding as much as you did, or "training" in that sense? I now have a good balance of what is acceptable (I think), but whenever I wasn't riding, I felt like I was missing out. I was going to get slow or fat. I assume having another hobby makes it easier, but what about just the general health/fitness? You didn't care that you were getting fat?
So this will send this to a place I didn't want to go, but really did.

Getting fat pissed me off and is the main reason I am back, I got up to 214 (after vacation) from 188. But, this is coming from a guy who used to be 240. (207 Currently). It was also easy to back off as my wife enjoys going out and cooking, in addition she broke a seven year streak of being vegan. So me off the bike and not watching what I ate was fun for the both of us (at least IMO).

Some of the things associated to riding became a chore.

Over a year and a half my rides switched from social to purpose driven, I was training. No longer did I want to stop and chat, I needed to keep moving, building and improving. A lot of people didn't quit understand that and gave me a lot of flak for my riding choices, almost like I owed it to them to stop and talk or provide time in another form (without giving anything back). In reality I wanted to tell them to go fly a kite, but I was humble and bit my lip. After distancing myself from the scene for a bit I have no problem in speaking my mind now. Several people kept providing advice that was worthless, and wanted to give it to me every time I saw them. The time they took telling me it was worth more than what they were shelling out. It drove me nuts.

In addition, I took on a new role at work that really needed to be focused and put serious time in. Training was taking a ton of time and energy, I knew I could get my fitness back but possibly not the work opportunity. For my wife and I it was better I concentrate on work. Unfortunately it required a ton of entertaining and late night events that took time away from riding.

This is a big one, and will upset a lot of people (maybe). But I will be dead honest. I never though I would be able to ride a 100 miles, let a lone 130 on a fatbike. I never thought I would win a bike race, or ride thirty days consecutively. But I did. I set goals and stuck to them. It taught me the importance of sticking to your guns, and that anyone can accomplish anything they set their mind to. It also made me loose patience for people that were all talk as spending time with them was keeping me from my agenda (selfish, I know).

There was other constant bullshit, such as several people constantly accusing me of "digitally doping" on Strava. The drama was getting thick.......I hate drama.

It was time for a break. It got cold in December, I started the Base Race and just got bored one day, add on drama and Poof.

Either way, these are some of my struggles and part of my journey. In my opinion, a large part is mental and just being honest about it.

I am neither a jeep nor a boat guy, but if ever a new signature was needed, the above is what you should change it to.

If I comment on the post can I still like it?
Of course, I don't want to push my "anti like" agenda on anyone. I am like a vegan who still cooks steak for my houseguests.

In my opinion, a large part is mental and just being honest about it.

A lot of it is not giving a shit. I mean in my thread they're talking a little about what to say when you don't drink. How about, "I don't want to today"? I am mostly comfortable with who I am and frankly I have yet to find someone who has a problem with just saying you do this or that because you want to.

It's impossible to not care. I mean we blog here because we want the conversation, the back & forth. But some things we need to learn to let go. People will bait you, it just happens. There is a person in the scene that just irritates the F out of me. I don't think he means to so I ignore it. No it's not Kevin.

It drives me nuts when people say "you SHOULD" do this or that. To me, this is what got DT in trouble on the other thread. That we SHOULD start SS before women & 45+. No no, there is no SHOULD. To me, it's "so have you thought about?" or, "Hey man this works for me." There is a huge difference between a conversation and a directive. I also understand that we human beings live in this constant shower of insecurity, and telling people what they should do just justifies what they have chosen to do. A lot of times people don't realize they are doing it. But it gets overbearing nonetheless.

It irritates me when people tell you exactly what you are doing wrong. Here is what I think. If someone has their shit so nailed that they can tell people what they SHOULD do, then I think they shouldn't waste their time telling a reject like me what I don't have right. Because frankly you'll never make me perfect.

If course, here I am telling that you that you SHOULD NOT give a crap. But you know what, maybe you should. I don't know. I am hungry, I need lunch. So I should eat. I should take a crap soon too. And I should go for a bike ride.

You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. You should brush 3 times a day. It really never ends.

A lot of it is not giving a shit. I mean in my thread they're talking a little about what to say when you don't drink. How about, "I don't want to today"? I am mostly comfortable with who I am and frankly I have yet to find someone who has a problem with just saying you do this or that because you want to.

It's impossible to not care. I mean we blog here because we want the conversation, the back & forth. But some things we need to learn to let go. People will bait you, it just happens. There is a person in the scene that just irritates the F out of me. I don't think he means to so I ignore it. No it's not Kevin.

It drives me nuts when people say "you SHOULD" do this or that. To me, this is what got DT in trouble on the other thread. That we SHOULD start SS before women & 45+. No no, there is no SHOULD. To me, it's "so have you thought about?" or, "Hey man this works for me." There is a huge difference between a conversation and a directive. I also understand that we human beings live in this constant shower of insecurity, and telling people what they should do just justifies what they have chosen to do. A lot of times people don't realize they are doing it. But it gets overbearing nonetheless.

It irritates me when people tell you exactly what you are doing wrong. Here is what I think. If someone has their shit so nailed that they can tell people what they SHOULD do, then I think they shouldn't waste their time telling a reject like me what I don't have right. Because frankly you'll never make me perfect.

If course, here I am telling that you that you SHOULD NOT give a crap. But you know what, maybe you should. I don't know. I am hungry, I need lunch. So I should eat. I should take a crap soon too. And I should go for a bike ride.

You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. You should brush 3 times a day. It really never ends.
Probably the best thing I have read in awhile and possibly the feedback I was looking for when starting a new thread.

Thank you!

We all find things that are more important to us than riding a bike ...for whatever the reason, Those sacrifices you make for yourself are looked down upon by other people. Either its because they are envious because they cannot get a grip on their own self, or they cannot understand how you can justify those sacrifices for yourself..

live your life as you want- you will loose "friends" but if they loose sight of you its not your fault, they just don't understand how your mind processes.. those people really aren't friends to begin with... friends will keep you honest with yourself instead of condemning you...

I apologize for this. I am way better at this forum crap than I was 15 years ago however. I feel like I am never perceived the way I want to be online(I just suck in that aspect). I have such a simple mind set with life yet I over think everything...except forum blabbing. I guess I was frustrated having races end up like that a couple of times but could have buttered my suggestion up a little better.
Welcome back @Johnny Utah ...I still have my fatty...for now. Let's ride!

Last edited:
We both own fe motors that's a pretty strange coincidence for two guys named Utah
Oh this is true, but my FE went into total huge dollar mode. One of my lifters fell into the engine. The truck turned into a huge issue as people started to hang out at it when I wasn't home. No joke. And not the type of people I wanted hanging around my house. So before I dumped more money into it (of which I would never again see) I sold it. We are now looking for a original VW bug for my wife.

For those who do not know what we are referring to. I have attached some pictures. Your comment better be original, as this is not my first dance with a truck like this.
IMG_4950.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_4973.JPG

Oh this is true, but my FE went into total huge dollar mode. One of my lifters fell into the engine. The truck turned into a huge issue as people started to hang out at it when I wasn't home. No joke. And not the type of people I wanted hanging around my house. So before I dumped more money into it (of which I would never again see) I sold it. We are now looking for a original VW bug for my wife.

For those who do not know what we are referring to. I have attached some pictures. Your comment better be original, as this is not my first dance with a truck like this.View attachment 55038View attachment 55039View attachment 55040View attachment 55041
Think I like the Jeep better anyway.:D

Back
Top Bottom