Tales of a Terrible Bike Mechanic

I certainly would pay shipping.
But I would hold on to that stem just in case. When I was working on my POSS, the steerer was 1 inch instead of the 1 1/8" that we are used to. Find all your parts first b4 you give that away. I am in no rush either :)

Let me know when you are ready to part with it.

Thanks!
Agree with this. More than likely you're dealing with 1", which may not leave an option besides threaded. I could be wrong, but seems that was the standard of the day. I'm not 100%, but believe even the '60-'70's tandem I'm working on has a 1" fork steerer.

Oh... check the BB shell size cuz you may need something like this...

opc-adaptor-truvativ02.jpg

Wouldn't I want to change from a European to an American bottom bracket if I am going Shimano 105?

i feel safe asking these questions because I am admittedly terrible at this stuff.

Just remembered one more...
If you are planning to go with a modern FD, check your seat tube... may not have a cable stop. Those old FD had them built in so you may need this too.

41%2B-IOReYEL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't I want to change from a European to an American bottom bracket if I am going Shimano 105?

i feel safe asking these questions because I am admittedly terrible at this stuff.
Once you take out the BB and the shell seems somewhat big... yeah... You need it to fit a modern crank.

90% sure the BB will be Italian and not compatible with your shimano bb. read up on it before you start stripping the bike. Not as bad as a similar age French frame, but will have it's quirks. I was hoping you picked up the Panasonic. Get on the bike forums classics group, they'll know lots more about this one than folks here

90% sure the BB will be Italian and not compatible with your shimano bb. read up on it before you start stripping the bike. Not as bad as a similar age French frame, but will have it's quirks. I was hoping you picked up the Panasonic. Get on the bike forums classics group, they'll know lots more about this one than folks here

Could I just put a square taper bottom bracket in? I know they come in English or Italian...

Thanks for all the help!

yes, but check the old bb that it is
also before buying anything, make sure the stays bythe bb are not rusted through, seems pretty rusty from the pics, and that's where moisture collects

I was able to disassemble the bike very easily. There were zero issues taking this thing apart. I used a wire brush and some WD-40 to clear off some of the rust and loose paint on the bottom bracket. The rust was all on the surface!

I will either strip the paint this weekend myself OR take it somewhere to get sandblasted. My buddy recommended a place that will do it cheap that did some dirt bike parts in the past!

skLCvHB.jpg

76BYjkN.jpg

u7me0X7.jpg

tMZahy9.jpg

I was able to disassemble the bike very easily. There were zero issues taking this thing apart. I used a wire brush and some WD-40 to clear off some of the rust and loose paint on the bottom bracket. The rust was all on the surface!

I will either strip the paint this weekend myself OR take it somewhere to get sandblasted. My buddy recommended a place that will do it cheap that did some dirt bike parts in the past!

skLCvHB.jpg

76BYjkN.jpg

u7me0X7.jpg

tMZahy9.jpg
For what it's worth I've stripped 2 frames using the spray can paint stripper from off the shelf at Home Depot, and it comes up easy with little more than a scraper. Quick rinse and follow up sanding of any spots left can make this relatively short afternoon job. Thought about going the professional route, but couldn't justify the cost knowing there was a chance I'd find the frame wasn't usable anyway.

I used this because supposedly less toxic. Brush it on and leave overnight and the paint will come off with a paper towel.
fc32a508-48d9-47f9-965a-d297850b8cb3_400.jpg

Any leftover paint... I used the wire brush drill attachment to finish them off.
7a1b912b-21bf-4e6c-8c4d-4e745b1b7d05_1.26209a9a34130693f70ef653c92d2491.jpeg

So I elected to spend the $90 to have the bike sand blasted and powder coated. Yes, you read that right, sand blasted and powder coated for only $90! I only have pictures so far, but the quality looks awesome!

I have almost all of the parts I need on hand, ordered, or arranged at a trade/sale (thanks @C8N) later this month. After some internet browsing I was able to find some reproduction labels on eBay for under $20 shipped from the Czech Republic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222175325202

I gave the painter some artistic freedom, all I asked for was "Red." He did not disappoint, I think the official color is "Jolly Rancher Red." After I pick up the frame this weekend (minutes from the Philadelphia Airport) I will post a picture with a lot of my parts laid out!

Frame pictures below:
Pfd6cSt.jpg

CBLstFW.jpg

hc4KLwb.jpg

M5nXxSo.jpg

NA5pgYK.jpg

F7Wn86B.jpg

NW3cQZt.jpg

So I elected to spend the $90 to have the bike sand blasted and powder coated. Yes, you read that right, sand blasted and powder coated for only $90! I only have pictures so far, but the quality looks awesome!

I have almost all of the parts I need on hand, ordered, or arranged at a trade/sale (thanks @C8N) later this month. After some internet browsing I was able to find some reproduction labels on eBay for under $20 shipped from the Czech Republic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222175325202

I gave the painter some artistic freedom, all I asked for was "Red." He did not disappoint, I think the official color is "Jolly Rancher Red." After I pick up the frame this weekend (minutes from the Philadelphia Airport) I will post a picture with a lot of my parts laid out!

Frame pictures below:
Pfd6cSt.jpg

CBLstFW.jpg

hc4KLwb.jpg

M5nXxSo.jpg

NA5pgYK.jpg

F7Wn86B.jpg

NW3cQZt.jpg
that's sharp, did he also do the fork?

I also like the straight stainless steel tange forks. They come in 1"'unthreaded and look nice on old steel frames.

Back
Top Bottom