Tales of a Terrible Bike Mechanic

So I have collected a few parts over the last few weeks and slapped them on project Vintage Italian Steel w/ Modern Appeal.

I am using a single 42t chainring on the crankset and an 10spd 105 cassette on the rear. I am having issues with the headset, I may need to buy the appropriate tool or take it to a shop. I spread the frame to make room for the larger rear hub, it is a little crooked and it will need some more tweaking. One I have the headset figured out I will take my first stab at running cables and finish up with bar-tape. This thing is only a few weeks away from eating some gravel!

I was lucky enough to find some replica stickers to throw on the bike as well, I think they look sweat! As for the powder coat I am adding nicks and scratches while adding each component. I am as delicate as a silver-back gorilla. Any good ideas on how I can cover/seal the blemishes?

sbeZlDQ.jpg

foYuyUS.jpg

9TBUkPA.jpg

G3KH0Hn.jpg

So I have collected a few parts over the last few weeks and slapped them on project Vintage Italian Steel w/ Modern Appeal.

I am using a single 42t chainring on the crankset and an 10spd 105 cassette on the rear. I am having issues with the headset, I may need to buy the appropriate tool or take it to a shop. I spread the frame to make room for the larger rear hub, it is a little crooked and it will need some more tweaking. One I have the headset figured out I will take my first stab at running cables and finish up with bar-tape. This thing is only a few weeks away from eating some gravel!

I was lucky enough to find some replica stickers to throw on the bike as well, I think they look sweat! As for the powder coat I am adding nicks and scratches while adding each component. I am as delicate as a silver-back gorilla. Any good ideas on how I can cover/seal the blemishes?

sbeZlDQ.jpg

foYuyUS.jpg

9TBUkPA.jpg

G3KH0Hn.jpg
looking good, get some touch up from the painter. I should have suggested that you provide the painter with a baby food jar to for extra's while they were painting. Hope it wasn't a custom color, which I imagine they won't have extras. as for the HS, looks like you need to press in the race on to fork steerer, easier just to bring it in. But if you want to see how it's done: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threadless-headset-service

btw: no matching front derailleur for your 105 setup, you can get a problem savers clamp for your frame
http://www.jensonusa.com/!0kC9hArto...&pt_keyword=&gclid=CL7F4PG5vdQCFclMDQod6FIG_g

are there rail trails from Philly/Cherry Hill up to Trenton?
I'm looking for a route that goes south from Trenton off the DnR Canal tow path

Looking to get more time on the non-mtb bikes and staying off those roads with cars

So I dropped off the bike at the LBS for them to run the cables, I tried but had some issues with it. I thought it was good to go with... BUT the long and the short of it, they said there were a bunch of compatibility issues with the bike.

Could they make it work? Yes. Would it be expensive as fuck? Yes.

The recommended converting it to a Single Speed. I need my gears, but I do not want to let this bike go. The front is set up for a a single speed, what would I need on the rear cog (Shimano Tiagra) to convert this to a SS? What size rear gearing do you recommend for flat SJ? I am a powerful guy with shit cardio if that means anything!

Thanks for the help!

i use a 42x16 on my SS. its enough where you won't spin out but not too much for gradual hills.

Hey Dan

What are the issues you're having?

What are your intents with this build? Lazy cruiser or a workout machine?

Since we've ridden together and you have an idea where I am in terms of strength or lack there of, let me tell u about my nyc commuter.
It is a 7 spd and I think I'm running a 38t ring up front. If I am just cruising 16t. If I want to wheel suck on a cruising roadie, I would be on 14t cog.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom