Spotted a Fat Bike for CHEAP. What do y'all think?

what does it weigh now?
:shrug:
Haven't weighed this one yet but Fuji catalog says 35.13 lbs. With pedals I'd guess closer to 37 lbs. I'm hoping with the few changes I've made that she's closer to 35 lbs.

My Pivot trail bike weighs 28.7 lbs.

Last edited:
Sell your other bike because you won't need it :D

Then lace up some I9 carbon wheelz

More Interesting (or not) Thoughts

The tires are now holding air very well. Looks like I just needed to ride around a bit and get the Stan’s to do its job. Anyone want to buy some 24x4 tubes? :oops:

Went down even lower on the psi to 5F / 7R thinking I’d get a better ride but quickly learned otherwise. Bike was super squirrelly. I had to wrestling the bars to keep my line, especially on hard surfaces like rock rollers and wooden bridges. At least I know that the tires will stay on the rim at 5 psi.

I’m feeling comfortable on the bike but I realize I need to dial it back. No way of getting around the fact I’m on a full rigid. One big rock and a missed line and I’m going OTB or smashing a rim ...or both. o_O

How much are those Blutos? :p

Those psi sound like snow rated.
Tire choice can give that squirrely feel sometimes.
Off line hell it's a Mack truck smash over it all. Dont do bluto go to manitou instead.

More Interesting (or not) Thoughts

The tires are now holding air very well. Looks like I just needed to ride around a bit and get the Stan’s to do its job. Anyone want to buy some 24x4 tubes? :oops:

Went down even lower on the psi to 5F / 7R thinking I’d get a better ride but quickly learned otherwise. Bike was super squirrelly. I had to wrestling the bars to keep my line, especially on hard surfaces like rock rollers and wooden bridges. At least I know that the tires will stay on the rim at 5 psi.

I’m feeling comfortable on the bike but I realize I need to dial it back. No way of getting around the fact I’m on a full rigid. One big rock and a missed line and I’m going OTB or smashing a rim ...or both. o_O

How much are those Blutos? :p

you don't need Blutos, 5psi = 80mm travel, 10 psi = 50mm
I don't know about the Jims but my tires are so floppy below 10 psi on dirt and rock, single digits for sure in the snow

think you added a pound of gorilla tape, your weight loss may be nominal

I don't know about the Jims but my tires are so floppy below 10 psi on dirt and rock, single digits for sure in the snow

1psi = 200mm downhill bike?

I'm sure I didn't save much but there's no way a strip of Gorilla tape weighs the same as a 550 gm Fatbike tube. I wish I had measured beforehand but even with 6oz of Stans I'd bet my wheels are lighter now then stock.

I weighed the bike on my unofficial (and very old) hanging fish scale ... 33.5 lbs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:cool:

Maybe..... :rolleyes:
D8BC007B-3527-443E-A81F-D69ACD5BEF78.gif

97.9% carbon
Edit is I bought a second hand farley from super weight weenie @CycleBoy shop owner. If your gonna buy a used bike buy a shop wrench bike.

I did teak an xtra few grams because it gave me wood....

Experienced my first flattie (get it?) yesterday. What a freaking PITA. :confused: Was railing a downhill section and burped the tire. Luckily I brought a tube. Normally I would have left it home but it was a group ride and I didn't want to be "that guy". Unfortunately, I was that guy. Had to borrow a knife from some guy to cut out the valve stem (don't ask). Same guy lent me two cO2 canisters. Even that barely put a dent in the tube. Me and another guy took turns with the hand pump. 10 mins later ... and after 1/2 our group left... :oops:

Dude first order of business
"Upgrade them wheels to some tubeless ready rims" it's not worth the hassle.

Dude first order of business
"Upgrade them wheels to some tubeless ready rims" it's not worth the hassle.
Are you saying, if I flatted a tubeless ready setup that I’d be able to reinflate with a hand pump? Once the bead is broken it doesn’t matter what you’re running.

Just got a Mastodon fork after riding a bluto for 2 years, while different world. Fat bikes rule but letting the air pressures in your tires set your speed limit sucks. Having front suspension allows you to run higher pressures so you are not hearing rim song all day. Bludo’s are great if you weigh 130lbs, the Mastodon is a game changer IMO.

Are you saying, if I flatted a tubeless ready setup that I’d be able to reinflate with a hand pump? Once the bead is broken it doesn’t matter what you’re running.

You will not easily burp a fatbike tire using a tubeless rated rim and tire combo. In fact, it'll take a hell of a lot of force to break the bead in the first place. Hell , I had to completely deflate the tire and then step on it to break the seal last time. Ghetto tubeless works but only by the skin of its teeth, so to speak. Rims are relatively cheep and your time is too valuable to keep dicking around with this. Just have them re-laced to a set of my other brother Daryl's or mule foot's and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom