Spotted a Fat Bike for CHEAP. What do y'all think?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Dude!!!! Don’t break the bead once seated.:eek:

Remove the valve core and top it off that way.
If you don’t have an injector you can use one of those 2oz shots of Stan’s...squirt, fill, squirt, repeat. Ez peezy.

If you only popped one side off, make sure you re-inflate the tire with that side down...to let gravity do some of the work. I keep a Rubbermaid 40 gal trash can in the basement as a wheel support for this exact task.
LOL
I didn’t break the bead! I took the valve core out and the freaking tire dislodged. I suspect it’s the 100mm rim - too wide for the tire to stay in place. Once I get that thing re-inflated, I’m NEVER taking air out again. At least not until I need a new tire.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I hear ya, cuz sometimes this is.....
7F6BEDA2-4E48-4AB4-B613-495EABE94F40.jpeg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can probably get some sweet carbon wheels for like $500, u gotta upgrade bruh.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
You can probably get some sweet carbon wheels for like $500, u gotta upgrade bruh.
Actually, I did look on EBay this morning. $600 for a China set of Carbon wheels. Anyone have experience with the knockoffs? I hear they’re actually pretty good. I can get a carbon fork for $300 too.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Actually, I did look on EBay this morning. $600 for a China set of Carbon wheels. Anyone have experience with the knockoffs? I hear they’re actually pretty good. I can get a carbon fork for $300 too.

Yeah, you’re hooked.

I’m the putz that updates EVERYTHING!!!! Here’s the thing, right now the only real issue is the rims not being tubeless ready.

Rather than dump an endless amount of $ into this modest bike, how about addressing the problem part of the bike and ride the shit out of it this winter while you finalize your specks for its replacement. Lacing new set aluminum TL rims to the existing hubs is cheapest way do it.

You’re going to get the dream fatbike, you know it and WE know it..... save the duckets and then go in $&@@‘s deep.

2c-

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's the rims and not the size.
Start saving for a new carbon wheel set or sell the skinny and upgrades all around :)

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
No offense homies but my dream bike is a Pivot 429 trail with 27.5+. This thing is just for kicks.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's your front wheel size? I have a carbon 135 fork and an I9 hub to go with it.

qclabrat

Wrap the wheel with a ratchet tie down and tighten till the beads are pushing up against the rim. Inflate till they seat, let out a bit of slack, inflate some more till desired pressure. It's a pretty bombproof method for tires with soft sidewalls like your 120tpi versions

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Wrap the wheel with a ratchet tie down and tighten till the beads are pushing up against the rim. Inflate till they seat, let out a bit of slack, inflate some more till desired pressure. It's a pretty bombproof method for tires with soft sidewalls like your 120tpi versions
I tried that. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING. o_O

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Wow you must have some massive play there. Did you hear the beads pop when you got them first installed?
The beads only popped into place after I took them to the garage. It was my last resort. They blasted the tires with a high pressure compressor. It took 30 psi to pop in place.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Got the tire inflated again and took the bike out. It was drizzling with wet leaves everywhere - perfect conditions to test the traction. It definitely gets the job done with the psi set at 7F and 8R. The geometry is spot on. I was actually surprised how easy it was to get up and over logs. Also surprising (to me at least) was how much the tires minimize trail chatter. Speaking of tires, the buzzing these things make is awesome. Feel like I’m riding a Sherman tank through the woods! The bike is a beast, smashing through and over everything. I can only imagine what one of them $5000 fat bikes with dual suspension are like! Wow!

Kinda digging the full rigid though. I’m able to stand and hammer up hills with totally efficiency. She’s a pig for sure. I feel the weight. Today I left the tube at home just so I wouldn’t have to carry any more excess weight.

Looking forward to getting the bike on snow.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Latest Update: Fat Bike Follies and new PRs!

I swapped the seat and post for a lighter setup that I had lying around in the garage. Converted the bike to a 1x10 by removing the front derailleur and shifter. I’m going to replace the steel 36t chain ring with a small alloy bash guard. Looking to take at least a pound off the bike.

After testing tire pressure a few times, I’ve settled on 6F / 7R. Funny but I always wondered how people rode with such low pressure. Anything below 25 psi on my trail bike and I’m burping the tires. Clearly the wide rims and big tires make a difference. I’m digging the super low psi. My ass and wrists take a little less beating plus I can lean the bike crazy sideways.

I feel like I almost got the bike dialed. On my ride yesterday STRAVA results showed my average pace to be slightly slower than normal. That’s not bad considering the slick conditions and on a bike that’s 6 lbs heavier than my trail bike. But here’s the kicker... I was FASTER on the biggest climb and FASTER on the longest decent of my loop. Scored new PRs on both! Again, on a wet and slick, leaf-covered trail. :cool: (Strava Ride Here)
All is not perfect. Tire pressure drops significantly after a few days. It hasn’t been enough to dislodge the tire from the rim but clearly I need to re-do my Gorilla tape setup. I ordered 24 X 4 tubes and will give the split tube method another go. We’ll see what happens. At least I’m riding and having fun. As far as I’m concerned the bike already paid for itself! :)

Top Bottom