Spotted a Fat Bike for CHEAP. What do y'all think?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I spotted a 2017 Fuji Wendigo 2.1 yesterday. Sat on it and instantly fell in love. Online reviews are few but seem positive. Anyone have experience with this bike? With Fuji? This will be my first time on a Fat Bike ...ever.

I can get the bike for just a little over $700. I'm about to pull the trigger. Help me not regret this decision!!!
:)

Frank

Sasquatch
One thing that jumps out at me are the rims, not sure they are easily converted to tubeless........going tubeless on a fatty makes a huge difference. For the price the bike looks fine. It really depends on how often you plan to ride the bike. I have a Farley and ride it almost daily because the q factor actually works for me. Have fun!

qclabrat

nothing wrong with Fuji bikes, just like GT and Redline, these "old" brands aren't the same company of past and may not have the cache of popular names today, but still a solid bike company. Build and frame/fork, look like what I'd expect for a bike in that retail range. For $700 that's a very good deal. As @Frank has pointed out, the wheels are not easily made tubeless. Gorilla tape method doesn't work well with the Weinmann rims due to the rim shape, so ghetto tube maybe your only option. I instead suggest getting tubeless compatible wheels when you are ready to cross that bridge. Lighter wheels would likely be your best upgrade from an ROI perspective. Ride it tubed for a bit and make that decision down the road. IMO getting a fatbike under 35lbs makes it a lot more fun. Mine was around 38 and I got tired of the weight after while. Now at about 34, I'm looking forward to getting it on the trails again. Good luck with your decision.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
...I instead suggest getting tubeless compatible wheels when you are ready to cross that bridge. Lighter wheels would likely be your best upgrade from an ROI perspective. Ride it tubed for a bit and make that decision down the road. IMO getting a fatbike under 35lbs makes it a lot more fun...

Not sure how accurate they are but I read in one of the reviews that this Fuji weighs 33lbs (Lrg). I'm just looking for a fun bike that I can use a few times during the winter. This bike looks like something I could easily upgrade later on if I find I'm really enjoying it.

Oh, and what do you mean by "ghetto" tubes? I ride pretty aggressively. Will I be pinch flatting this thing often at 10-15 psi?

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Just googled it. I can totally go ghetto. LOL Looks like an easy setup and perfect fix. I hate tubes. o_O

Last edited:

qclabrat

I ran tubes on the Weinmann wheels and got pinch flats every other ride with about 12 psi
some quick research shows the 2018 with a little different build at 33.5 lbs for the small? But the 2017 from the link below for the medium is a shade over 35, which I think is probably generous. I weighed my Weinmann 80mm rims, Novatec 150/170 hubs , Floater 4.0 tires and they where 7.5lbs front and 9.5 lbs rear.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/fuji-wendigo-26-2-1-fat-bike

Have an SE F@E which is pretty much the same great entry level fatbike. Experienced many flats with tubes. Converted to split tube on those Weinmans and only rolled a bead once in cold temps. Haven't tried the fatty strippers but plan to for the next wheel set. You'll enjoy riding it so much you won't care how much it weighs. Get an accurate pressure gauge so you experiment with the tire pressures. 9 lbs. seems to be the sweetspot for me and floor pumps aren't accurate enough in my opinion.

qclabrat

It's worth buying if you get out and ride the crap out of it. Speaking from someone who buys bikes and doesn't ride them. Don't be like me and you'll be fine. If you don't have a fat bike already, you'll have a ball all fall and winter. But if you find yourself riding it into the spring, time to think upgrade.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I think it's a decent spec, and modern dimension (197 rear, 4.8" tires). If it was to be your year-round bike, I'd suggest something lighter., but $700 for something that you'll use a few times a year is money well spent. Antonio, your stomping ground is Ringwood, which is awesome in the snow. I think you'll get a decent amount of use out if it to make the spend worthy. I'd go for it.

walter

Fourth Party
Does Halters have any close outs left?

I know the Peddler in Long Branch just posted Specialized Fatboys for $999. 3% sales tax down there.

Reactions: rlb

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Once you go Fat...

DC45570C-4019-42BD-947F-4180744A3298.jpeg
6AFA07CA-26F1-4C3F-B371-EC18E3295713.jpeg

Ghetto tubeless attempt #1... stay tuned.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Once you go Fat...

View attachment 58873 View attachment 58874

Ghetto tubeless attempt #1... stay tuned.

Fatbike tire pressure is a weird quirky thing especially the front tire. What feels great on the trail may feel horrible in the parking lot. That's ok... Just keep it in Mind the first time out. I'd start out with a little too much air ( say 8 in the front and 10 rear for tires that size) and drop pressure a little at a time (on the trail) till you find your happy place. It's better to do it one wheel at a time starting with the front IMO. I ended up at 6 front 7.5-8 in the rear on trail.....

Never in a million years would I have thought to pair those colors... But they're cool.
Have fun!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
24 hours later (and 12oz less Stan’s) ... ghetto tubeless FAIL. Now switching to Gorilla Tape tubeless. Stay tuned.

Top Bottom