Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

Green can be cool too.

ea3f462eed13776342706f0c1558c735.jpg
That's highland green and it's beautiful.... 1968 color... 67 it was dark moss green which has a little more gold to it I think anyway
405261-2.jpg

Another vote for "Dad blue."

It's how your old man wanted it. I think your little wrecking ball will appreciate that detail someday.

I'm actually having a little trouble deciding. I can have them match the old blue paint exactly, or pick a Ford Blue. Funny thing is that I never asked my father where he got this color. He used to tell people it was midnight blue.....Ford didnt have a midnight blue color for 67 mustangs so im assuming he just picked a color. This is what it looked like before

QzSPzs0.jpg

Being that the car was repainted over its original dark green and with a single stage lacquer it quite possible that my dad went with an original ford blue and it just didnt come out right. I stripped every inch of paint off this car....one fender was white, most of the car was green, and a few of the panels were new replacements and had fords red oxide primer. So getting a color to match right under those conditions using a single stage laquer would be a bit of a guess.

Back to my thoughts on what to paint the car. So its either I have them match this blue exactly, or something close like Ford Acapulco blue.....which looks like this and was an original 1967 color. Its a little lighter, little more silver...not a huge fan...just looks a little dull, little shallow
346010d1400086149-mustang-65-matching-color-problem-1967_fastback_acapulcoblue.jpg

Since my car is an original big block 4 speed car and is probably the most valuable 67 mustang outside of a shelby...im trying to keep it as close to how my father wanted it, but not effect the value too much. Not that im looking to sell it, but someday I might be forced to sell it for some unforeseen reason. Color changes on cars like mine which were somewhat rare, but nothing like a boss or shelby mustang...the value isnt effected too much by the color...So long as you dont paint it viper yellow or something ridiculous. My father said to me about 8000 times "when I found this car is was this HIDEOUS vomit green color" He hated it, so there is no way im ever painting it back to the original dark moss green....it would just never be right...it would be like mtbnj with no orange and blue. So either I go with an original ford color, or match what my dad had exactly. Not sure yet.

Regarding the comparison of the Midnight and Alcapulco Blues, a lot of it may be due to the differences in lighting for the 2 photos, but that Midnight Blue color looks like it has so much more depth that the Alcapulco Blue, which looks flatter, and maybe shallower due to the silvery tone. Although, the Alcapulco looks much better on the trunk and hood than it does on the rear quarter panel. Of course, the quality of paint and painter, coats, etc. are huge factors.

Great ways to tell that you are now an antique

Scan netflix last night...see documentary called "unchained" about how freestyle MX got started.....recall back to watching "Crusty demons" with your MX buddies at age 20......yelling "RAG DOLL" at the screen when Seth sent that dune jump to outer space.....He lived? Fuck yes!!!! OK LETS GO RIDE RIGHT NOW!!!!

seth-enslow-didnt-really-plan-this-one-through-132719.gif

Cant believe some of these guys are still alive, but several arent.

I just watched that trailer. As interested as I am in what these guys do, I'm not sure I want to watch the carnage that comes along with the successes.

Scan netflix last night...see documentary called "unchained" about how freestyle MX got started.....recall back to watching "Crusty demons" with your MX buddies at age 20......yelling "RAG DOLL" at the screen when Seth sent that dune jump to outer space.....He lived? Fuck yes!!!! OK LETS GO RIDE RIGHT NOW!!!!

Kind of interesting they had Tony Hawk in there as he was similar to Pastrana in the sense that the hardcore guys shunned them from the sport and eventually they became one of the biggest and most innovatve names.

I just watched that trailer. As interested as I am in what these guys do, I'm not sure I want to watch the carnage that comes along with the successes.
This is similar to having slams or even a slam section in skate and bmx videos. At somepoint the stuff became serious enough that it was hard to watch. Given that FMX guys are laughing them selves much high and further, the carnage is even greater.

This is similar to having slams or even a slam section in skate and bmx videos. At some point the stuff became serious enough that it was hard to watch. Given that FMX guys are launching them selves much high and further, the carnage is even greater.
Exactly. I've never found any interest in watching people grievously injure themselves, particularly if they're doing something related to what I do.

I always had the most respect for Pastrana...I mean he was not only the best FMX guy, he was always right near the very top in MX/SX racing also. Thats something none of the FMX guys could claim...they really only ever worked on tricks, travis was factory suzuki and won the SX and outdoor championships (which is impossibly difficult) then did the x games on the side.

Not sure if I ever posted this grandpa story. But in ~96 my buddy and I ran into travis at Moto 573 (wayne scott) in PA. We had no idea he was, but we were absolutely dumbfounded watching this little 11-12 year old kid launch the ~75' driveway double on an RM80.....I mean that plus he was LAPPING us quite easily.

Oh oh...I found this last night...I used to do alot of work for this company. This is one of the products I helped design (first segement). I know I know...its a boring pressure relief vent, but I found it neat to see something I worked with on the show.

Last edited:
T

Or any if his other crashes lol

is that vent thing on the rear roof pillar functional?

replace the door hinges. is there a gullwing kit?

is that vent thing on the rear roof pillar functional?

replace the door hinges. is there a gullwing kit?
Yes, and combined with the under dash vents you could smoke in the car with windows up . . . Something cool About old cars pre standard ac . . . . They had nice air flow through them .

New hinges , New latches

The black is this dupont dtm epoxy coating , it's actually a rust proofing layer , not a primer.

Cragers are going , going to put some original styled steel wheels on it .

think my firebird has some rubber flaps somewhere, "leak" when the inside is pressurized.

I miss 1/4 vent windows. Utah is 100% right that old cars had great ventilation. When did it fully die, 1990s? Even my '82 mustang had an underdash vent since it was a non/ac car.

think my firebird has some rubber flaps somewhere, "leak" when the inside is pressurized.
You mean that rubber flaps in trunks of cars that vent behind the rear bumper somewhere? I always wondered WTF those things were, lol.

You mean that rubber flaps in trunks of cars that vent behind the rear bumper somewhere? I always wondered WTF those things were, lol.

i think they let air out of the passenger compartment, there were also vents in the latch side of the door. but yeah.

Back
Top Bottom